December 15, 2017, 02:57:10 AM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 28874 times)

November 20, 2017, 09:01:56 PM
Reply #570

Waltzer

I'd be interested to know if people would be more impressed by winning title with Olympiacos, Celtic or our U23s.

Understand a lot of people think U23s doesn't count as real football, but find it a bit bizarre how little appreciation there is for what he did with U23s

I dont think you can discount the U23s completely, but i also dont think it has much relevance to the situation he finds himself in now. Purely speculating on individuals personalities and the makeup of squads I could imagine the skillsets required for both are very different. I was listening to something the other day and one of the managers said when managing better teams you do less coaching as good players have positional awareness etc and they almost regulate themselves and pull one another up when things arent going right, its more about managing people whereas I can imagine managing/coaching u23s is just that, its teaching younger players the game and how to handle situations. Are they transferable, I dont know, but id rather give it to someone that has experience in dealing with those situations.
I said it in the other thread that if Unsie doesnt get that id bet a lot of money that he wouldnt even be considered for any other job in the league

deCoubertin

November 20, 2017, 09:13:13 PM
Reply #571

KoemansNumberTens

He's had much less time, got more out of the team than Koeman, who's an experienced manager, used to big squad changes. I think the position he's taken over and with board adding to huge problems, its made the very difficult, near impossible.

I think time will show he's a better manager than most managers we're linked with, Silva, Dyche etc.

I don't see it. I voted for unsworth but we've been getting gradually worse in terms of performance. The palace game was shambolic. 3 nil would have been a fairer result. Absolutely no confidence in him now

November 20, 2017, 09:15:32 PM
Reply #572

KoemansNumberTens

Four weeks ago we would have gotten thrashed by them.

They pretty much did thrash us in terms of performance. The result was luck not judgement

November 20, 2017, 09:17:50 PM
Reply #573

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be interested to know if people would be more impressed by winning title with Olympiacos, Celtic or our U23s.

Understand a lot of people think U23s doesn't count as real football, but find it a bit bizarre how little appreciation there is for what he did with U23s

Celtic or Olympiakos a thousand times over, obviously.

If you can tell me another manager whoís won something at u-21/23 level Iíll be blown away. Nobody gives a shit.

Itís like if a striker scores at youth level - great, nice to hear, good sign certainly but the minute heís got his big boy pants on all that evaporates and itís time to prove yourself for real.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 20, 2017, 09:18:15 PM
Reply #574

Ridge

It's much harder to teach an old dog new tricks. But if a manager picks based on potential and endeavour, can often resolve problems, by bringing in young players. It reminds the older players what its about, about not having the fear, about working incredibly hard, then talent shines through.

Most of the coaches we're looking at, had arguably most impressive performance when they were promoted from youth team and put youngsters in. But they knew club and setup intimately, showed faith in players from youth team.

Look at Guardiola at his clubs, he's put in youngsters willing to learn and put everything in for him and culled the older players who resist or challenge his authority.

Part of the problem, is that older players respect reputations and don't listen to ones they doubt. If Unsworth had maximum respect of fans, I think the new signings and bigger names would soon get in line or be dropped. But there has been lack of faith and plenty of fear of inexperience. But his young players have worked socks off for him.

November 20, 2017, 09:19:52 PM
Reply #575

Lxxx

Is he a big enough personality to man manage and get an extra 25% out of this group of players? I don't think he is unfortunately, unless we get rid of the likes of Schneiderlin, Mirallas and even Rooney to an extent, as he has a huge presence in the dressing room and on the pitch and if he isn't being picked he's a big character to hide behind.

November 20, 2017, 09:20:43 PM
Reply #576

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Might help the Guardiola is the best coach of our generation but yeah might be the fans getting behind him sure.

Ridge, unsworth is getting a chance and itís looking more and more to the detriment of the side. Heís come into a bad situation and hasnít shat the bed entirely but this Ďwait and see and he might be OKí thing is fantasy.

We need the best coach possible and we need him in ASAP.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 20, 2017, 09:22:57 PM
Reply #577

boothill

I don't see it. I voted for unsworth but we've been getting gradually worse in terms of performance. The palace game was shambolic. 3 nil would have been a fairer result. Absolutely no confidence in him now
3 nil ? How ?  We scored 2 and speroni pulled 3 goal bound saves off. Perfomance is much better. There seems a temparary halt to being absolutely being rolled over and rogered royally

November 20, 2017, 09:25:18 PM
Reply #578

boothill

They pretty much did thrash us in terms of performance. The result was luck not judgement
Dont bring me good generals, bring me lucky generals

November 20, 2017, 09:26:22 PM
Reply #579

Rodenplav64

If you can tell me another manager who’s won something at u-21/23 level I’ll be blown away. Nobody gives a shit.

It’s like if a striker scores at youth level - great, nice to hear, good sign certainly but the minute he’s got his big boy pants on all that evaporates and it’s time to prove yourself for real.

I might be wrong but I think Klopp , Nagelsman , Tuechal and Wagner were all youth team managers before their respective clubs gave them a chance . Sadly most Evertonians think we are bigger than Dortmund ,Mainz and Hoffenheim but not Olympiakos , Hull , Estoril or Watford . I agree it may seem too much for Unsworth at the minute but I don't think we need another wrong fit , at least till the summer .

November 20, 2017, 09:27:04 PM
Reply #580

KoemansNumberTens

3 nil ? How ?  We scored 2 and speroni pulled 3 goal bound saves off. Perfomance is much better. There seems a temparary halt to being absolutely being rolled over and rogered royally

Well the 2 goals we scored certainly weren't by our own design. Not sure about these saves i genuinely don't remember them although DCL did miss a decent chance

I thought we were terrible. Palace had 70% possession created numberous good situations.

Did people really think that was a good performance? Happy enough with a point but I thought we just got extremely lucky

November 20, 2017, 09:29:21 PM
Reply #581

Ridge

If you can tell me another manager whoís won something at u-21/23 level Iíll be blown away. Nobody gives a shit.

Itís like if a striker scores at youth level - great, nice to hear, good sign certainly but the minute heís got his big boy pants on all that evaporates and itís time to prove yourself for real.

But if your shit as a student, you'll probably be shit at what you want to achieve.

It's no guarantee it'll translate to full time role, but excelling in education is a very good sign of talent and potential.

U23s is best youth league in world. Plenty of examples of players who struggle and make it elsewhere, including Scottish PL.

It's more competitive than Scottish or Greek leagues, and we weren't favourites or have best team.

Unsworth would win either, if he'd won Bulgarian 2nd division, some would have more respect, its lunacy.

November 20, 2017, 09:31:13 PM
Reply #582

KoemansNumberTens

Dont bring me good generals, bring me lucky generals

It's nonsense though really. If you're the better side 38 times you're almost certainly gonna win the league. Second best 38 times and you'll almost certainly go down

November 20, 2017, 09:35:52 PM
Reply #583

Waltzer

I might be wrong but I think Klopp , Nagelsman , Tuechal and Wagner were all youth team managers before their respective clubs gave them a chance . Sadly most Evertonians think we are bigger than Dortmund ,Mainz and Hoffenheim but not Olympiakos , Hull , Estoril or Watford . I agree it may seem too much for Unsworth at the minute but I don't think we need another wrong fit , at least till the summer .

Just because its worked for others doesnt mean thats a universal solution, I think you have to look at every case individually, in this instance Unsworth has shown little to evidence that hes the right person IMO. I think he gets a little lost, were making loads of subs at half time, or not far into the second half, formations are changing all the time. You could look at as adapting or is it cause he got it woefully wrong in the first place?

November 20, 2017, 09:36:57 PM
Reply #584

Ridge

No doubt its not going great, but he inherited a broken team that previous manager was publicly calling shit.

He's been only stable influence at club in past couple of weeks, and fans are running him down because of fear.

If we treated young players like some fans have treated Unsworth, I wouldn't expect any to make it.

Whether he can do it or not, people are trying to make sure he can't, through fear or whatever.