October 21, 2018, 08:00:06 PM

Author Topic: How should we set up away?  (Read 2423 times)

February 13, 2018, 02:12:06 PM
Read 2423 times

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Itís clearly a problem for us and has been a while. Last time iI remember us being half OK away from home was Martinez was it? Think that was a team with more pace and goals on the break and wouldnít be surprised if that was the answer...

Back 5

Beni Rooney Gana (more tackles and work?)

Walcott DCL Bolasie (more pace but less guile, plenty of work from DCL and will keep the ball well?)

Donít think we can play the same way away from home and we need to find some kind of formula...
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 13, 2018, 02:19:04 PM
Reply #1

Juanito

I wouldnít mind a back three but not one of slow, static hoofers with Martina as a left wing back - that was horrendous.

I remember Holgate played so well against City at Goodison last season as the right sided centre half and it looked like his best position. I would like to see;

Pickford
       Holgate Keane  Mori
Coleman  Gana  Davies  Baines
    Walcott  Tosun  Sigurdsson

February 13, 2018, 02:34:42 PM
Reply #2

Shogun

Administrator
Our best team

Pickford
Coleman CB CB LB
Rooney Gana Davies
Walcott ST Sigurdsson

Have we acatually played anything like that away from home this season?
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 13, 2018, 02:35:41 PM
Reply #3

Juanito

Itís clearly a problem for us and has been a while. Last time iI remember us being half OK away from home was Martinez was it? Think that was a team with more pace and goals on the break and wouldnít be surprised if that was the answer...

Back 5

Walcott DCL Bolasie (more pace but less guile, plenty of work from DCL and will keep the ball well?)

Donít think we can play the same way away from home and we need to find some kind of formula...

I was actually thinking of this, when we used to have an effective plan....

We had Osman, Barry and McCarthy sat back as the midfield three close to Stones and Distin. Then when we break, we would have Coleman and Baines bomb on, with Lukaku, Naismith/Barkley and Mirallas up top, who would break at pace.

February 13, 2018, 02:48:35 PM
Reply #4

TheTone

I think the mentality has to change first , almost beaten before we roll into any away ground these days

Not sure it's totally down to tactics and team formation

We don't have enough leaders on the field (or off it)

February 13, 2018, 03:03:47 PM
Reply #5

nsno

4-5-1 with one very defensive midfielder and pacey hard working wide men. Sit back and soak up the pressure and catch teams on the break. We can't do this at present as the defence is crap and the midfielders have poor discipline.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

February 13, 2018, 03:08:48 PM
Reply #6

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Aye, what NSNO says. It doesn't matter how many defenders you play, if their cohesion and understanding is shoite (like when we played Arsenal). Often you can do much better with just 2 centre backs and one defensive mid (which is my preference) and you defend from the front. The idea being that fast pacey full backs and wingers (Coleman and Walcott, for e.g.) will make the opposition defenders and wingers think "fook, Im not going too far forward, as I wont be able to get back if they break". Whereas if we have shit, slow defenders, EVERYONE in their team will attack us, knowing we are shit on the break. I would much rather have a go at a team, than sit back with a million shit defenders.

February 13, 2018, 03:18:02 PM
Reply #7

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Our best team

Pickford
Coleman CB CB LB
Rooney Gana Davies
Walcott ST Sigurdsson

Have we acatually played anything like that away from home this season?

Donít think so and would like to see it, but do teams generally play the same way away from home as they do at home? Especially teams like ours that are so fragile and prone to giving up big chances.

Leicester and Palace two recent wins and Leicester hit the bar about 4 times and Benteke missed aba 3 chances for palace, and thatís at home!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 13, 2018, 03:21:29 PM
Reply #8

Alanvideo

Our away fans should get free transport to reward their loyalty.
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 13, 2018, 03:33:03 PM
Reply #9

sam of the south

Back 5

Yeah, 12 players on the pitch should do it ;)

In all seriousness, a lot will come down to mentality and confidence.

We don't have a strong team spirit at the moment (due to many factors) and obviously confidence is fragile too, so winning away will always be a tall order for a side like that.

However, you are totally on the right lines with two ball winners and a ball player in the midfield, and three speedsters up front.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

February 13, 2018, 03:34:45 PM
Reply #10

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, 12 players on the pitch should do it ;)

In all seriousness, a lot will come down to mentality and confidence.

We don't have a strong team spirit at the moment (due to many factors) and obviously confidence is fragile too, so winning away will always be a tall order for a side like that.

However, you are totally on the right lines with two ball winners and a ball player in the midfield, and three speedsters up front.

I havenít used 12 players, 5 at the back refers to Pickford and whatever 4 gimps we are able to put out in front of him.

February 13, 2018, 04:17:40 PM
Reply #11

Macca77

Would be nice if we set up to actually try win an away game, guaranteed he will go all defensive again at Watford

February 13, 2018, 04:35:12 PM
Reply #12

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Why canít we play the same way away as we do at home?
ďThe best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Donít wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.Ē Barack Obama

February 13, 2018, 04:42:31 PM
Reply #13

Lxxx

Why can’t we play the same way away as we do at home?

I agree. Maybe the way you approach the game is a little more conservative but you want your best players in the best system playing most games home and away. Davies could be given more licence to get in the box at home but slot in into a compact three in the middle away from home. Sig might be given the opportunity to wander at home but try to stay out wide and help out Martina away.

They need to get an understanding with each other and we've tried every permutation away from home in the past 12 months with no success. Let's just try and focus on ourselves a little more and then maybe we might be able to start picking up points as we'll be playing to our strengths, instead of constantly chopping and changing our system and personnel to try and combat the likes of West Brom and Bournemouth..... and failing.

February 13, 2018, 04:48:04 PM
Reply #14

van der Meyde

If we've got any ambitions of finishing 7th - though I suspect our manager/DoF will view that as a poisoned chalice - then the only way we're going to do that is if we set up to try and win the games.

On that note then, it's probably a good idea to play the midfield that's actually won us games this year.

We've done fuck all without Rooney and Davies in the side this season and while we might lose some solidity playing them away, winning one and losing one picks up more points than drawing two.