May 23, 2018, 12:39:58 PM

Author Topic: [News]Walcott signs  (Read 9154 times)

January 18, 2018, 02:44:20 AM
Reply #60

Heisenberg

His name is Theo and we watch him from the stand.

Every week he trousers more than a hundred grand.

Usually he watches from the stand too

January 18, 2018, 02:45:06 AM
Reply #61

plowman2

Never been a fan, but always thought he was a good player. He seems the perpetual new kid on the block, too insecure to stamp any authority. Hope that changes with us.
He's been devastingly underwhelming at goodison and seems to have developed a belief he can run straight through solid objects.
(Sunderland fan's fume at possible signing of McGeady on loan)

January 18, 2018, 02:47:14 AM
Reply #62

WeimaranerBlues

Load of shite that really. Donít see the media up in arms complaining about the negative effect on youngsters in the squad when the Ďbigí sides sign a proven player. Usually itís Ďwhat a great opportunity for the youngsters to learn fromí.

This ^^

and wrong choice of words Grooming a youngster  ffs

January 18, 2018, 03:21:47 AM
Reply #63

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah that's what he's saying. Definitely.

It's a logical conclusion of the argument his article is too lazy to even coherently make. What is he saying exactly?

If you actually read the article, it's total and utter garbage. The headline says the signing "spells trouble" for the Lookman and Vlasic, the tagline then says it's "bad news" for them. Uh Oh! But the article then doesn't even mention them in its entire first half.

When it finally does mention them, it's in passing and quickly moves on to criticise SA about playing both Rooney and Siggurdson, undermining his presumed argument that the transfer of Walcott is bad news (because even if the signing wasn't made, SA still wouldn't play the kids).

When the article eventually, in it's final 3 paragraphs, gets round to discussing its supposed topic, all it does is line up SA's defence of why you don't want to play kids week in week out. Which I don't completely agree with, but at least there's some thought gone into a side of a debate.

So basically the article, aside from a somewhat sensationalist headline and tagline, makes absolutely zero attempt to substantiate what it's meant to be about. Pretty shocking journalism all round in my opinion, although perhaps that's what you get when you just get fans writing articles instead of the meedja.

January 18, 2018, 03:52:02 AM
Reply #64

Bluedylan

It's a logical conclusion of the argument his article is too lazy to even coherently make. What is he saying exactly?

If you actually read the article, it's total and utter garbage. The headline says the signing "spells trouble" for the Lookman and Vlasic, the tagline then says it's "bad news" for them. Uh Oh! But the article then doesn't even mention them in its entire first half.

When it finally does mention them, it's in passing and quickly moves on to criticise SA about playing both Rooney and Siggurdson, undermining his presumed argument that the transfer of Walcott is bad news (because even if the signing wasn't made, SA still wouldn't play the kids).

When the article eventually, in it's final 3 paragraphs, gets round to discussing its supposed topic, all it does is line up SA's defence of why you don't want to play kids week in week out. Which I don't completely agree with, but at least there's some thought gone into a side of a debate.

So basically the article, aside from a somewhat sensationalist headline and tagline, makes absolutely zero attempt to substantiate what it's meant to be about. Pretty shocking journalism all round in my opinion, although perhaps that's what you get when you just get fans writing articles instead of the meedja.

Yeah not sure I've looked at it quite as intently or intensely as you have. It wasn't being submitted for any awards. Just pointing out that there are different opinions about the signing among our fans, including journalists.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 18, 2018, 04:09:44 AM
Reply #65

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah not sure I've looked at it quite as intently or intensely as you have. It wasn't being submitted for any awards. Just pointing out that there are different opinions about the signing among our fans, including journalists.

Donít worry, it wasnít that intense. Read it once as you posted it, thought it was shite, you then defended it so gave it a re-read and explained why it was shite in more detail. Am always interested in contrasting opinions. This article just didnít appear to have one.

January 18, 2018, 05:32:57 AM
Reply #66

Django

Heíd been at FF since 9am this morning and after the signing was announced he went and did another hour in the gym. Sounds like he could be a top fella

January 18, 2018, 05:34:22 AM
Reply #67

Jamokachi

Looking forward to seeing him play, will hopefully bring a bit of balance to the side.

Don't buy that this is bad news for Vlasic or Lookman, they have a lot of development needed, and we'll be in need of options when the inevitable downturn in form happens (look at Davies this year).

January 18, 2018, 06:23:20 AM
Reply #68

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Just watched a ten minute highlight video of his Goals.

Some great finishes in there. He seems
to be superb one on one, can lift it, smash if, roll it, dink it or place it, and seems to hit corners more often than not. Sure itís over 10 years worth of togger and heís had ozil etc. Behind him for much of it but heís definitely got goals in his locker.

Think Iíve talked myself around.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:36:20 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 18, 2018, 06:40:53 AM
Reply #69

boothill

Be good to have a player looking to get in the box.
sam will soon knock that out of him

January 18, 2018, 09:19:53 AM
Reply #70

Trublue

Looking forward to seeing him play, will hopefully bring a bit of balance to the side.

I agree, Mirralas hot loaned out and Lennon's contract is up at the end of the season.  The young lads won't get more or less chances that they were already getting.

Don't buy that this is bad news for Vlasic or Lookman, they have a lot of development needed, and we'll be in need of options when the inevitable downturn in form happens (look at Davies this year).

January 18, 2018, 01:10:53 PM
Reply #71

Bluedylan

Donít worry, it wasnít that intense. Read it once as you posted it, thought it was shite, you then defended it so gave it a re-read and explained why it was shite in more detail. Am always interested in contrasting opinions. This article just didnít appear to have one.

Thanks for your input.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 18, 2018, 01:24:15 PM
Reply #72

Macca77

I reckon hes gonna be great for us, hes got a lot of doubters to prove wrong

January 18, 2018, 01:33:35 PM
Reply #73

Rodenplav64

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/theo-walcott-s-arsenal-career-is-one-of-untapped-potential-as-everton-transfer-nears-a3742471.html

Now I have been a tad negative about him but on the way home a bit pissed last night I read the London Evening Standard someone had left on the train . A good article and I just hope he has the desire to prove people wrong .

January 18, 2018, 01:36:04 PM
Reply #74

Ramjam

I hope he hits the ground running and he strikes up a great partnership with Topgun and siggy tucked in behind in the 10 role, only then will we look like a force going forward and give some of these defences something different to worry about
WE ARE THE PEOPLE