June 27, 2017, 05:32:57 PM

Author Topic: Who would players rather play for?  (Read 1746 times)

May 18, 2017, 05:19:03 AM
Read 1746 times

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
So I think this is worth discussing. The only thing really goin for us is Money and perhaps Koeman

According to @MartinezsLeftTeste there are 20 clubs above us... Here is his post. Who agrees, are there more than 20?

6 in England, 2 in France, 2 maybe 3 in Germany, 4 in Spain, anywhere from 1 to 5 in Italy depending on your take on Napoli and Roma and the new found wealth of the 2 milans. Minimum 15 maximum 20 for me
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Aruna Kone, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

May 18, 2017, 05:23:47 AM
Reply #1

MartinezsLeftTeste

Personally I think we could sign players Roma and Napoli want and it's a wait and see with what's happening with the milans. They could be about to join the top 6 or 7 in the world or be absolutely nowhere. Think we can compete with Sevilla too on account of having more money. Maybe Monaco because they will sell a lot this summer and no one is sure if they intend to replace them with new expensive players or downsize. I guess time will tell with the red bull team too. The rest are a million miles ahead of us at the moment though

May 18, 2017, 03:21:22 PM
Reply #2

BlueNoseMike

I'd say comfortably above us in terms of pulling power are:

Top 6 in England
Top 3 in Spain
Juventus
Bayern
Dortmund
PSG

Teams I believe we can compete with for signings (hypothetically, as the clubs won't all be going for same targets) are:

Sevilla
Roma
Napoli
Milan Clubs
Monaco * possibly throw them in the group above us
Athletic Bilbao
RB Leipzig

By compete I mean we won't necessarily win the race everytime but that we are on at least an equal footing to them when all factors are considered (level of european football, wages offered, pulling power of domestic league, etc)

Therefore if we were competing with a team other than the ones mentioned for a signing we should be favourites. The only thing swaying a player to another team would be a higher guarantee of game time and level of importance in the squad (which might also tie in with higher wages. Basically if the signing was our 1st choice we should be getting him, but if the player is going to be more of a squad player, then we will lose out to teams likes Newcastle and Southampton.***

*** this also applies to us if we are going for a player that a team in that top bracket is also going for. We can still compete if we are more likely to give regular game time (Keane, Pickford?)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:23:18 PM by BlueNoseMike »

May 18, 2017, 03:43:43 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

The Italian clubs are all in with a more realistic shout of challenging in the league for either the title (once Juventus' star starts to wane) or at least a CL slot. We are nowhere near either. Plus it's a nicer part of the world for any latin players if money isn't your main thing.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that up until this season we have been a mid table club the past few years. Any players on the rise in this time would do well to have even heard of us outside of these shores. It'll take a few years of European football for this to change and/or a Leicester-type stormer of a season before players will take a look at us in a different light, especially as we don't have the appeal of London either.

May 18, 2017, 03:46:41 PM
Reply #4

Makis

I'd say AS Roma is a notch above us. CL football, new stadium coming and how many players (&their wives) would rather live in Liverpool than Rome?

May 18, 2017, 03:54:43 PM
Reply #5

di_guyo

I'd say comfortably above us in terms of pulling power are:

Top 6 in England
Top 3 in Spain
Juventus
Bayern
Dortmund
PSG

Teams I believe we can compete with for signings (hypothetically, as the clubs won't all be going for same targets) are:

Sevilla
Roma
Napoli
Milan Clubs
Monaco * possibly throw them in the group above us
Athletic Bilbao
RB Leipzig

By compete I mean we won't necessarily win the race everytime but that we are on at least an equal footing to them when all factors are considered (level of european football, wages offered, pulling power of domestic league, etc)

Therefore if we were competing with a team other than the ones mentioned for a signing we should be favourites. The only thing swaying a player to another team would be a higher guarantee of game time and level of importance in the squad (which might also tie in with higher wages. Basically if the signing was our 1st choice we should be getting him, but if the player is going to be more of a squad player, then we will lose out to teams likes Newcastle and Southampton.***

*** this also applies to us if we are going for a player that a team in that top bracket is also going for. We can still compete if we are more likely to give regular game time (Keane, Pickford?)

Broadly agree, but I'd move Monaco, Roma and Napoli up.

I'd also consider adding Valencia, Marseille, Schalke and Leverkusen to the second list.

Additionally, Benfica and Porto have considerable pulls (particularly Benfica). Depending where in the world you're from, a lot of players would certainly go to Benfica over Everton. I'd say they're both probably in the second pot.
Everton & Atleti

May 18, 2017, 03:56:35 PM
Reply #6

MartinezsLeftTeste

I'd say AS Roma is a notch above us. CL football, new stadium coming and how many players (&their wives) would rather live in Liverpool than Rome?

Do Roma and Napoli pay 100k a week though? Plus I do think of the Milan clubs rise they'd push these 2 down below us anyway.

I think roma and Napoli are a bit better than us but in a group where money and the premier league could see us get someone over them

May 18, 2017, 04:07:03 PM
Reply #7

BlueNoseMike

Broadly agree, but I'd move Monaco, Roma and Napoli up.

I'd also consider adding Valencia, Marseille, Schalke and Leverkusen to the second list.

Additionally, Benfica and Porto have considerable pulls (particularly Benfica). Depending where in the world you're from, a lot of players would certainly go to Benfica over Everton. I'd say they're both probably in the second pot.

Yeah forgot the portugese clubs, they have a massive pulling power for south americans. I suppose I didn't consider them because we wouldn't be in for the same types of players.

Monaco I'd consider moving up but, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, apart from big money signings several years ago they don't seem to be able to attract top players anymore. I wouldn't have Roma and Napoli above us at the moment either. We have been strongly linked with buying 2 of their best players, it, in my eyes, would show that we could possibly compete with them.

Schalke, Leverkusen and Valencia traditionally would fit into that bracket of teams we are euqal to or can compete with in terms of pulling power. however, I didn't consider any of them as they are all currently in the bottom halves of inferior leagues, and I'm guessing we can outmuscle all 3 in terms of wages too

May 18, 2017, 04:21:01 PM
Reply #8

Cereal Killer

Monaco have just won the French league and reached the semi finals of the CL

There's minimal tax on wages

Plus it's in Monaco, you know, on the Med, sun, sea, mansions

Slightly delusional to even think we're remotely level with them in terms of attractiveness, just ask Youri Tielemans

May 18, 2017, 04:32:51 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

Do Roma and Napoli pay 100k a week though? Plus I do think of the Milan clubs rise they'd push these 2 down below us anyway.

I think roma and Napoli are a bit better than us but in a group where money and the premier league could see us get someone over them

They can still pay decent wages and they're big clubs in a nice part of the world with ability to challenge for a CL place.

We really do need to set our bar accordingly this summer. Lukaku we were very lucky to get based on a favourable set of circumstances. Schneiderlin too. Apart from that we don't really have much to offer, or we haven't, in recent years.

We now have a pot of money and some ambition but for that to trickle down we need to be consistently achieving over a period of years. If not trophies then European football. Spurs have to be the benchmark and they are at least three years ahead of us. It's going to be a slow process, no point losing our shit over a gradual progression, it's what will sustain us longer term.

May 18, 2017, 04:38:47 PM
Reply #10

BlueNoseMike

Slightly delusional to even think we're remotely level with them in terms of attractiveness, just ask Youri Tielemans

I suppose when you put it like that you make a point. They're a bit like Atletico and Dortmund (and others like Liverpool and Spurs) in the sense that they inbetween our level and the top level in terms of attaining the names.

My thinking was that they have yet to establish themselves as on a level with Atletico and Dortmund, in terms of competing at the top end over a longer period of time, and are likely to have their team dismantled this summer. I can't find figures for this year but last year we had a higher wage bill than them, which would suggest we can compete financially with them as well.

I think it's harsh to call it delusional but can see the point you're making

May 18, 2017, 04:44:53 PM
Reply #11

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Some cross thread shizz going down, but @Sir Stealth list is pretty comprehensive, however there are a few that I'm confident players would choose us over, and a few that might be difficult, but i reckon we could pull it off.

* Im pretty confident players would chose us over them.
** I reckon we're in with a shout, although we would have to offer more money.

All the rest I think we would have very little chance competing with.

Maybe I was exaggerating haha

Most of these though probably?suppose it depends how important he deems champions league football to be, and if there's certain countries that he wouldn't want to play in ie Holland, Portugal as they are possibly deemed to be not as desirable to play in as The Premier League or La Liga for example

I think for now we would be most likely to sign players who play for clubs deemed to be smaller than ourselves, or players from bigger clubs who can't get a game. If we do our transfer business well and have a good season then hopefully next year we will have champions league football to help attract all of the Dembeles

1.Barcelona
2.Bayern Munich
3.Real Madrid
4.Atletico Madrid
5.Sevilla **
6.Chelsea
7.Manchester City
8.Manchester United
9.Arsenal
10.Spurs
11.Juventus
12.Napoli
13.Roma **
14.Lazio**
15.AC Milan
16.Inter Milan
17.Benfica*
18.Porto*
19.PSG
20.Monaco
21.Liverpool
22.Wolfsburg*
23.Schalke*
24.Fiorentina*
25.Ajax*
26.PSV*
27.Feyenoord*

Sevilla would be very tough to compete with, but we would have a slim chance as we could offer much more money.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:46:38 PM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

May 18, 2017, 04:47:23 PM
Reply #12

Cereal Killer

I suppose when you put it like that you make a point. They're a bit like Atletico and Dortmund (and others like Liverpool and Spurs) in the sense that they inbetween our level and the top level in terms of attaining the names.

My thinking was that they have yet to establish themselves as on a level with Atletico and Dortmund, in terms of competing at the top end over a longer period of time, and are likely to have their team dismantled this summer. I can't find figures for this year but last year we had a higher wage bill than them, which would suggest we can compete financially with them as well.

I think it's harsh to call it delusional but can see the point you're making

Yes, I agree they're not at the top table, but they're quite a way ahead of us.

I believe that they are a bit of an anomaly for wages/finances, if we offered 150k a week for someone they'd take home around 75k after tax?, Monaco can offer 90k a week and they'd take home pretty much all of it? So the players would earn more, whilst the club pays out significantly less

And yes the delusional comment was a bit harsh!  :cheers:

May 18, 2017, 04:49:58 PM
Reply #13

MartinezsLeftTeste

Yes they have but there's talk of anyone worth owt being sold. It really depends on their budgets going forwards

May 18, 2017, 04:51:52 PM
Reply #14

MartinezsLeftTeste

Also hasn't the tax thing with Monaco changed. Wasn't there complaints from other French clubs that it wasn't a level playing field