May 23, 2017, 10:12:02 AM

Author Topic: Walcott and Chamberlain  (Read 1041 times)

May 18, 2017, 07:39:37 PM
Reply #15

bigmanbob

Are they better than our wide players, Bollassie apart, absolutely. Would they be value for money, not at all but we're minted so who cares.

May 18, 2017, 07:40:36 PM
Reply #16

Ross

NSNO Subscriber
Walcott's better than any wide forward we've got at the club we'd be crazy to turn our noses up at him if he's available and willling. Similarly with O-C there's only Barkley in our current squad who's better carrying the ball with pace and he'd improve us clearly. 

Whether there's better than either of those available to us is another matter. But both would make a big impression on our attacking play if they came.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

May 18, 2017, 08:03:52 PM
Reply #17

Cereal Killer

Walcott's better than any wide forward we've got at the club we'd be crazy to turn our noses up at him if he's available and willling. Similarly with O-C there's only Barkley in our current squad who's better carrying the ball with pace and he'd improve us clearly. 

Whether there's better than either of those available to us is another matter. But both would make a big impression on our attacking play if they came.

If they were at the right price they'd definitely be worth it, not sure what wages they'd be chasing mind

May 18, 2017, 08:22:13 PM
Reply #18

BlueNoseMike

If they were at the right price they'd definitely be worth it, not sure what wages they'd be chasing mind

Wenger is notorious for being stingy and Arsenal have a tight wage structure so I think wages would not be an issue unless they wanted something obscene.

Don't know how reliable this is but this has Ox at 65k and Walcott at 110k per week. Apparently Ozil and Sanchez are both on less than 150k :O

http://sillyseason.com/salary/arsenal-players-salaries-69062/

I can't see Ox asking for more than double that wage to be honest, and if we could get him on a 100k per week package or just below it could be good business. Walcott's a different story, I'd expect we'd need to offer more than what he is on but I wouldn't want to be going more than 130k. Whether he is worth that is up for debate.

All hypothetical of course.

Just as a comparison apparently Ross is on 48k per week, with schneiderling being our top earner on 120 and Lukaku second on 80k

May 18, 2017, 08:36:39 PM
Reply #19

Robioto

Walcott I'm unsure about... I think he is a speed merchant which offers very little esle and he is no better than he was when he was 18/19. But he is better than what we've got, marginally...

Chamberlain, I'd like to see him at Everton. He works hard, is versitile and always looks good with a run of games.

May 18, 2017, 08:37:50 PM
Reply #20

kramer0

I'd be happy adding either player.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is the more attractive option from a long-term perspective. Great dribbler, works hard defensively, takes decent care of the ball, capable of creating quality chances, plays two positions credibly (winger, centre midfield). If he's available and we think we can keep him fit, I think Koeman would love having him in the squad. He has room to improve as well, which is always a plus.

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/850334502446673921

Walcott is a little dicier because he's a pace merchant approaching age 30 but I still like him if age/resale value are taken out of the equation (which seems to be the case given most of the noises Koeman has made recently). You know what his game is about -- he uses his pace to get in behind defenses, then shoots or plays a cutback. It's not the most impressive skill set from a technical point of view but it's wildly effective when harnessed properly (think Vardy a season ago). I worry a bit about players like this because when the pace goes, the effectiveness goes with it, but Walcott should have two or three good years left. Would provide a massive upgrade to the roles Valencia plays (wide forward, support striker).

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/783971432694964224

May 18, 2017, 08:54:58 PM
Reply #21

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I think both have got good qualities but I think no one knows (including them) what their best position is and we've already got enough players like that in our squad

Koeman seems to know what system he wants to play but he hasn't got the right players to play it

I'm not sure either of these are going to help with him shaping our starting 11 into a team that fits the system he wants to play
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

May 18, 2017, 08:56:34 PM
Reply #22

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be happy adding either player.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is the more attractive option from a long-term perspective. Great dribbler, works hard defensively, takes decent care of the ball, capable of creating quality chances, plays two positions credibly (winger, centre midfield). If he's available and we think we can keep him fit, I think Koeman would love having him in the squad. He has room to improve as well, which is always a plus.

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/850334502446673921

Walcott is a little dicier because he's a pace merchant approaching age 30 but I still like him if age/resale value are taken out of the equation (which seems to be the case given most of the noises Koeman has made recently). You know what his game is about -- he uses his pace to get in behind defenses, then shoots or plays a cutback. It's not the most impressive skill set from a technical point of view but it's wildly effective when harnessed properly (think Vardy a season ago). I worry a bit about players like this because when the pace goes, the effectiveness goes with it, but Walcott should have two or three good years left. Would provide a massive upgrade to the roles Valencia plays (wide forward, support striker).

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/783971432694964224

What does Xa90 mean?
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

May 18, 2017, 09:07:36 PM
Reply #23

sixymack

What about Navas and Cazorla for a season, Both may be available on a free transfer as possible squad players

May 18, 2017, 09:30:48 PM
Reply #24

Robioto

What about Navas and Cazorla for a season, Both may be available on a free transfer as possible squad players

Navas has done nothing of note in years now and wouldd be a poor addition in my opinion. He has one assist every 5 games in teh Premier League, which while not terrible, isn't great for a team like Man City. He's also only scored 4 Premier League goals for City in 125 appearances (or 81 sets of 90 minutes), a poor return. Then add high wages and age and he's not a great option.

As for Cazorla, I've always been a big fan, I've been to the Emirates with my mates to watch Arsenal a few times over the past few years and along with Sanchez he was the stand out performer. He's a delight to watch. But again age and wages come into it. Also, does he fit Koeman's style? Is he going to work hard enough? Will be able to last 90 minutes anymore? I'm not convinved it would be a good signing, a couple of years ago maybe. At 32 he would need to be a quick fix and I don't believe he would make a big enough difference to our squad.

May 18, 2017, 09:37:53 PM
Reply #25

sixymack

Navas has done nothing of note in years now and wouldd be a poor addition in my opinion. He has one assist every 5 games in teh Premier League, which while not terrible, isn't great for a team like Man City. He's also only scored 4 Premier League goals for City in 125 appearances (or 81 sets of 90 minutes), a poor return. Then add high wages and age and he's not a great option.

As for Cazorla, I've always been a big fan, I've been to the Emirates with my mates to watch Arsenal a few times over the past few years and along with Sanchez he was the stand out performer. He's a delight to watch. But again age and wages come into it. Also, does he fit Koeman's style? Is he going to work hard enough? Will be able to last 90 minutes anymore? I'm not convinved it would be a good signing, a couple of years ago maybe. At 32 he would need to be a quick fix and I don't believe he would make a big enough difference to our squad.

Seems like a good overall assessment.  Is there anyone in particular you would like to see us go in for this off season?

May 18, 2017, 09:48:56 PM
Reply #26

cantoffee

Think Ox would be a good signing and could play both as a traditional winger and more centrally as both Barkley and Valencia have when played on the right.

Doubt we will get him though and I feel that if he was available we would either be competing against teams slightly above us in Liverpool, etc. or massively paying over the odds to get him.

May 18, 2017, 09:49:17 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

Quite like Cazorla, whenever he's been fit enough to put one foot in front of the other.

May 18, 2017, 10:00:53 PM
Reply #28

Lincs Toffee

Walcott for me is another Lennon with a better cross on him but not as good defensively, Chamberlain would certainly improve our squad and if Barkley goes I think wouldn't be too far off a like for like replacement if given a decent run.
All bollocks though as I'm sure Walsh and Co haven't even looked at either of these...and are going to pull some unearthed talent from their sleeves along with probably a decent marque signing or 2...here's hoping anyway.
“I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.” - Dixie Dean

May 18, 2017, 10:08:29 PM
Reply #29

kramer0

What does Xa90 mean?

Expected assists per 90.

It's a way of measuring the quantity and quality of chances created by the player on a per 90 basis.