February 18, 2018, 05:34:16 AM

Author Topic: Schneiderlin  (Read 5018 times)

December 19, 2017, 05:09:32 PM
Read 5018 times

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure what's happening with him lately.

If he's not happy, do we think it's time to move him on in January?

I'd personally prefer us to play 1 defensive midfielder, which would be Gueye. We've got Beningeme there for back up or to add to the team if we're setting up against really attacking sides.  We've also got Besic and McCarthy if we're desperate.

I don't think Schneiderlin would want to play second fiddle to Gueye, so I think a move back to France could be on in January or in the summer.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

December 19, 2017, 05:15:18 PM
Reply #1

everton1952

Do not know. Unlike some other cast offs from Man Utd he came with a good reputation. Once again if Sam and his team can find a role for him in the squad and he is happy to stay as a squad member then keep him. Just do not play him and Gueye together.

December 19, 2017, 05:18:24 PM
Reply #2

gizzblue

Been shite get rid ...it's that simple for me .

December 19, 2017, 05:18:32 PM
Reply #3

Lincs Toffee

I'm not arsed if he goes, as you say we have replacements ready to slot in and the when playing with Gueye we lose the energy of going forward, which is a shame really as he has good vision and a decent long pass on him. I just cant understand why the wheels have fallen off. However from the limited time in seeing Beningeme, he looks like he could mature and fill his boots if given game time. When we need to play 2 defensive mids, then short term and if fit McCarthy would be better, N'Zonzi would however be perfect.
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

December 19, 2017, 05:21:15 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The problem when he and Gueye play together is that we ask Gueye to push forward which he isnt very good at.

This breaks the link between midfield and attack.

I thought he was ok last night but because of the above it all looked stodgy.

If they are to play together then Id like to see a bit of a switch of roles as that would allow Schneiderlin further forward and as hes more comfortable on the ball would have a passer further up the field.

December 19, 2017, 05:23:03 PM
Reply #5

Lxxx

I think quite a few people are looking at his early time with us through some kind of blue tinted specs. He only played 8 games before getting a calf injury and was in and out of the side after that till the end of the season. This season he's been shockingly bad. He's shown nothing for us that makes me think he's the future in the middle of the park and if we can get anywhere near what we paid for him I'd like to see him moved on.

December 19, 2017, 05:25:12 PM
Reply #6

Toddacelli

I think if people are writing this season off with shouts of 'leave DCL up front and let him develop rather than over-spending on January' then having Baningime in the side instead of Schneiderlin should also be considered.

If the manager can't get the best out of him - we could still get decent cash for the lad and realistically - have we looked any worse when we've had Baningime in the side instead of Schneiderlin? I don't think so really, apart from one poor game, maybe.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 19, 2017, 05:41:36 PM
Reply #7

plumber

I don't think playing Gana deeper is a good idea. He has not enough brain and discipline for screening back 4. He's the best at what he's doing now -  playing a bit higher, pressing and harrasing opponents. We need a quality DM with a passing ability, sort of deep lying playmaker.  Funnily enough Morgan was exactly that sort of player in his first season, don't know what happened to him.

If he won't regain that form we need a new player, but Gana is not the answer. Not sure Baningime is at this stage but at least he is a proper DM.

December 19, 2017, 05:55:51 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think playing Gana deeper is a good idea. He has not enough brain and discipline for screening back 4. He's the best at what he's doing now -  playing a bit higher, pressing and harrasing opponents. We need a quality DM with a passing ability, sort of deep lying playmaker.  Funnily enough Morgan was exactly that sort of player in his first season, don't know what happened to him.

If he won't regain that form we need a new player, but Gana is not the answer. Not sure Baningime is at this stage but at least he is a proper DM.

I was initially of this opinion re Gueye sitting.

But it it might have been that he was never really instructed to sit; whereas SA you presume will insist on it.

December 19, 2017, 06:01:40 PM
Reply #9

van der Meyde

Agree that there's not enough offensively with both in there.

If we were to choose just one of them, you'd probably have to go with Gueye. I don't actually think there's much between them defensively. Schneiderlin was always up there for tackles/interceptions etc at Southampton aftersll. Any extra discipline Schneiderlin brings (and I've been impressed by a Gueye in this regard recently) is balanced by Gueye's added energy.

Offensively, Gueye is better at carrying it forward while Schneiderlin is a better passer. It's not much of a choice between them though. Gueye has at least tried to take responsibility for getting the ball forward while Schneiderlin has passed the buck on to someone else.

I think if Schneiderlin upped his game, we'd go back to last season where he'd play the 90 and Gueye would be taken off/on the bench a bit more. There's no sign of that happening any time soon though.

December 19, 2017, 06:03:09 PM
Reply #10

Macca77

Get rid

December 19, 2017, 06:36:57 PM
Reply #11

BlueNoseMike

I'm still hoping for a turn around from him. He was an exceptional talent at Southampton and him and wanyama together were a force. So in theory him and gueye should work well.

I do agree playing both has at times meant we don't look like doing anything going forward.

However I don't think that necessarily means not playing one. I think a big issue in this regard has been the full backs. Up until recently we had holgate and Baines as full backs and neither attacked.  The point of playing with the 2 dms is to allow your full backs to bomb on and provide the attacking options. I'd be keeping morgs and getting in a LB who can contribute going forward as sadly Baines looks like he can't anymore. Legend that he is

December 19, 2017, 06:50:37 PM
Reply #12

Bluenose 91

He's been Space Jammed.

There's some alien on Moron Mountain absolutely smashing it at centre mid.

December 19, 2017, 06:57:00 PM
Reply #13

Lxxx

At Southampton he was a lot younger and hungry to impress to earn a big move away. Now with two big money moves under his belt and a 6 figure weekly wage the hunger has gone and he looks very one-paced and strolls around the pitch as if he's made it.

You never see him sprint it's always a laboured jog, puts in half arsed tackles and plays easy balls. I suppose when you sign a player cast adrift from a big club you never know which one you'll get, one with a desire to prove he's still got it or one who feels as if he has reached a pinnacle and it's downhill from here on in. I think we have the latter.

December 19, 2017, 07:39:08 PM
Reply #14

ally2

A player can drift out of form.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone had forgotten.