17 (34%)
Naismith (Sub)
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
0 (0%)
Stones (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Everton v Newcastle  (Read 30147 times)

October 01, 2013, 04:24:11 AM
Reply #375

Zoolander

Howard was shocking useless effort for second goal and his kicks awful.
Thought his kick for the assist was fine tbh

October 01, 2013, 04:25:01 AM
Reply #376

Simon Paul

Administrator
Lukaku looked knackered after an hour and I was surprised he didn't come off, Osman tired after about 70 minutes too so the subs were a bit surprising to me

Lukaku probably wanted a hat trick though and Osman had played very well, so maybe it would have been harsh to take them off?

they were there for a smashing tonight but second half they got control of the midfield again and looked threatening and it was all a bit tense

Jags and Howard need to learn that sometimes just getting rid isn't a bad thing, but otherwise a good performance tiredness aside

October 01, 2013, 04:27:23 AM
Reply #377

AllyBlue14

Yeah, probably.

You know what the funny thing is though and something the players should be made aware of? That for all our great approach play and possession, two of our goals were actually scored from a Howard punt, the third one from Newcastle losing possession in their half. So just because we don't control the middle as much as we'd like to, we should have the confidence that we can still score.

Ironically we're probably better set up for a long ball game now with Lukaku up front than we were when we used to resort to that with Jelavic there.

Great first half, if we keep that up I don't see why we can't be challenging for Europe come the end of the season. A bit of a concern in the second half but there are 2 teams in a game and Newcastle got it together more in the second half. We weren't awful, but there was just enough complacency perhaps, or inconsistency to make sure we keep our focus.

It is disappointing, though, after the first half that we couldn't go on and hammer them. But the 3 points are what count.

October 01, 2013, 04:27:49 AM
Reply #378

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Jags and Howard need to learn that sometimes just getting rid isn't a bad thing, but otherwise a good performance tiredness aside

Fucking defo

Simply simply lovely

October 01, 2013, 04:28:32 AM
Reply #379

School of Science

As Bluedylan says so many positives our last 2 live sky games have both been 5 goal thrillers, im sure every sky viewer is missing liverpools 1-0's.

Fair mention of McCarthy to had a fine game, Coleman also his best game of the season.
Deulofeu looked amazing when he come on, so unlucky not to score, that's all we have to do with him, bring him on the last 15-20 mins against tiring defences.

Barkley and Lukaku have the makings of a brilliant partnership, Ross is becoming a tremendous no 10. Finally Miralles great first half. All credit to Newcastle for making a game of it second half, but even then we could have scored another 3 or 4 more goals.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

October 01, 2013, 04:29:21 AM
Reply #380

Gash

Global Moderator
A good win I think we had opportunities to have buried Newcastle in second half so it shouldn't have been a bum sqeaker. Dowd was awful how he let Tioti stay on after he fouls he comitted after being booked is beyond me. Everton 7/8 fouls 3 yellows, Newcastle 17 fouls 1 yellow???
Lots of positives I thought, Lukaku, Barkley, I thought McCarthy was really good. Osman and Howard worry me, Osman lost and gave the ball away to easily in second half and Mirallas faded again. Howard was shocking useless effort for second goal and his kicks awful.

It's amazing how a goal or two can blur things. Lukaku and Barkley got caught in possession and gave away a few loose passes as well, especially in the second half. Probably more than Osman? Osman had a decent game, as did the other two before anyone complains, but I don't think he was anymore wasteful than them.

Can't see that Howard did much wrong, he hardly had a save to make and you don't really expect Jags to get beaten 8 yards out from goal. Agree with McCarthy, look pretty calm on the ball and not scared to roll his sleeves up and put in a tackle.

October 01, 2013, 04:29:26 AM
Reply #381

steve81

As Bluedylan says so many positives our last 2 live sky games have both been 5 goal thrillers, im sure every sky viewer is missing liverpools 1-0's.

Fair mention of McCarthy to had a fine game, Coleman also his best game of the season.
Deulofeu looked amazing when he come on, so unlucky not to score, that's all we have to do with him, bring him on the last 15-20 mins against tiring defences.

Barkley and Lukaku have the makings of a brilliant partnership, Ross is becoming a tremendous no 10. Finally Miralles great first half. All credit to Newcastle for making a game of it second half, but even then we could have scored another 3 or 4 more goals.
agree about mccarthy he was our best midfielder

October 01, 2013, 04:35:49 AM
Reply #382

Major Clanger

To be fair, they're coming round to it, at least Howard did, there was a moment in the seventysomething minute where he obviously thought about dribbling past the onrushing attacker, then he just blasted it out into touch :)
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 01, 2013, 04:38:49 AM
Reply #383

Tinga

A wins a win and we're getting stronger and stronger. I never thought we'd be in this position after the Betis friendly and the opening games.

October 01, 2013, 04:39:37 AM
Reply #384

wepull

Good win. 3 wins out of 3 in the league. Good performance overall. We were never really under pressure in the 1st half and guys took it easy in the 2nd half. We had done enough in the 1st half that the team expected to walk through the match. Credit to Newcastle here that they came out fighting and made a match out of it.

TBF we still won it easy and were never really under threat for more than the last 6 mins of the match.

October 01, 2013, 04:40:39 AM
Reply #385

Major Clanger

I worked out today that the trouble with Deulofeu is that he makes his runs at too shallow an angle. And curiously it's the same whether he starts from the left or the right. Martinez needs to reposition or realign him slightly so that he doesn't end up having to shoot from virtually the byline.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 01, 2013, 04:43:35 AM
Reply #386

toffee_scot

Lukaku looked knackered after an hour and I was surprised he didn't come off, Osman tired after about 70 minutes too so the subs were a bit surprising to me

Lukaku probably wanted a hat trick though and Osman had played very well, so maybe it would have been harsh to take them off?

they were there for a smashing tonight but second half they got control of the midfield again and looked threatening and it was all a bit tense

I think Martinez's subs were spot on. While Lukaku certainly did give the ball away a few times in the second half, it was still quite refreshing to see the work he put in to come in a little deeper and help to set up attacking opportunities, he could have been replaced by Kone but it seems he is coming back from injury and I'm not sure he would have been quite as effective or on the same wave length as our other players.

It looked like Mirallas had picked up something towards the end of the first half plus fatigue from the tracking back meant it was quite sensible to substitute him off for Deulofeu who merited game time for his performance against Fulham. Naismith for Barkley was also a good move as once again Barkley's decision making got worse as the second half progressed and Naismith's work rate and willingness to get stuck in could have cut out Newcastle from getting too far forward. It probably made sense to put in an extra defender for the tiring Osman just to try and seal the game and add more steel to the defence especially with Barry walking a fine line.

October 01, 2013, 04:45:26 AM
Reply #387

Les Trebilcock

The current football being played is mystifying. 3-0 at halftime, should be game-over, but no, like many other prem' games, a second half has you scratching your head. No-one had a bad game for us and it's a shame McCarthy didn't have the awareness to close Cabaye down quicker - McCarthy's one mistake on an otherwise great performance.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:46:54 AM by Les Trebilcock »
You can take that to the bank.

October 01, 2013, 04:46:42 AM
Reply #388

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Room for plenty of improvement but made up to get the win.

You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

October 01, 2013, 04:47:05 AM
Reply #389

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I worked out today that the trouble with Deulofeu is that he makes his runs at too shallow an angle. And curiously it's the same whether he starts from the left or the right. Martinez needs to reposition or realign him slightly so that he doesn't end up having to shoot from virtually the byline.

Also needs to actually shoot.  Very guilty of trying to run the ball into the net as good as he is.

Thought Coleman was outstanding today.  Both the fullbacks were but Coleman was excellent forward and back. Osman was the best I have seen him for a while.