Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 123173 times)

November 05, 2017, 05:44:19 PM
Reply #1110

Ross

Utterly demoralising the quality of managers being linked to us.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 05, 2017, 05:46:36 PM
Reply #1111

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

A real eye-opener
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 05, 2017, 05:49:08 PM
Reply #1112

sam of the south

Which manager said the following:

'I look at effective football. What is effective to win? Howard Wilkinson once told me: "Win, survive and then build".

'He is spot on. People try to build a philosophy but if you do that then make sure you win first. I see my job as playing a style that suits the players I have got.

'That's key. I can't impose any old system on the players because what happens if they can't deliver it?

'If you want to play Barcelona football, get Barcelona players. Don't try it without them.

'I will show you a hundred horror stories of people that said they were going to play Barcelona football. They were out of work within three, six, nine months.

'I look at it simply. Look at the players you have got, don't dream of the ones you haven't. Give them the best chance to operate. It's about them by the way, not me.

Answer:
Spoiler: show
Sean Dyche

He's bright and logical, no doubt about that.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

November 05, 2017, 05:51:29 PM
Reply #1113

sam of the south

It's not surprising, though.

The press don't rate us, and they set the tone for all attitudes, especially in football and politics.

And we have given them vindication to not rate us by fucking up royally since we finally came into money.

November 05, 2017, 05:58:52 PM
Reply #1114

Ross

A real eye-opener
It's not surprising, though.

The press don't rate us, and they set the tone for all attitudes, especially in football and politics.

And we have given them vindication to not rate us by fucking up royally since we finally came into money.

I refuse to believe we canít attract anybody better than Sean Dyche or Sam fuckin Allardyce. I really hope the owner does as well.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 05, 2017, 05:59:48 PM
Reply #1115

sam of the south

I refuse to believe we canít attract anybody better than Sean Dyche or Sam fuckin Allardyce. I really hope the owner does as well.

I know, mate, I agree 😔

November 05, 2017, 06:01:46 PM
Reply #1116

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Which manager said the following:

'I look at effective football. What is effective to win? Howard Wilkinson once told me: "Win, survive and then build".

'He is spot on. People try to build a philosophy but if you do that then make sure you win first. I see my job as playing a style that suits the players I have got.

'That's key. I can't impose any old system on the players because what happens if they can't deliver it?

'If you want to play Barcelona football, get Barcelona players. Don't try it without them.

'I will show you a hundred horror stories of people that said they were going to play Barcelona football. They were out of work within three, six, nine months.

'I look at it simply. Look at the players you have got, don't dream of the ones you haven't. Give them the best chance to operate. It's about them by the way, not me.

Answer:
Spoiler: show
Sean Dyche

All very sensible.

But heís been there 5 years so youíd assume that by now heís got the style of players / team that he wants.

Mourinho is a good example of what he says in that the players he inherits determine the final 10% of his approach.

But he (and all managers) have a core approach to the game which shines through.

Donít see why Dyche would be different?

November 05, 2017, 06:04:46 PM
Reply #1117

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I should say that I donít think heíd be disastrous, as I think you should always aim to be solid first and foremost.

The obvious logic of if you concede 0 you will get at least 1 point; whereas scoring 3 isnít a guarantee of anything.

More that we know that the crowd in general is jaded from this approach (given the reactions every time we play defensively away at Chelsea, say) so that itís hard to see a rosy picture in 12-18 months.

November 05, 2017, 06:05:57 PM
Reply #1118

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
All very sensible.

But heís been there 5 years so youíd assume that by now heís got the style of players / team that he wants.

Mourinho is a good example of what he says in that the players he inherits determine the final 10% of his approach.

But he (and all managers) have a core approach to the game which shines through.

The risk with Burnley is too big imo, they exist purely to stay in the league and heís got a system that works very well for that. If he had more reliable transfer budgets year after year maybe he could start to take some risks but he doesnít so he hasnít. Maybe thatís not a great sign that heís taking the safe path of least resistance, but right now we need that st Everton for a bit, and the risk that dyche doesnít have another level to reach offensively is less of a risk than we get someone in who canít achieve safety and we sink.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 05, 2017, 06:14:52 PM
Reply #1119

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The risk with Burnley is too big imo, they exist purely to stay in the league and heís got a system that works very well for that. If he had more reliable transfer budgets year after year maybe he could start to take some risks but he doesnít so he hasnít. Maybe thatís not a great sign that heís taking the safe path of least resistance, but right now we need that st Everton for a bit, and the risk that dyche doesnít have another level to reach offensively is less of a risk than we get someone in who canít achieve safety and we sink.

Can you see a totally different approach though?

Can you think of anyone who really flip flops from one club to the next based on the players?

Yes thatís what Burnley need and thatís why heís been successful at it, because thatís what he is.

Allardyce had some (way more) skilful players at Bolton than Dyche has but his core approach was get it in the box as many times as possible. Theyíd do some good stuff some times but they werenít consistently easy on the eye.

And yes, I get our risk if the new manager fails but are we panicked that much, that we canít escape some of the absolute dross in the PL with what we should be appointing, ie a manager worthy of £4-6m a year salary?

November 05, 2017, 06:21:44 PM
Reply #1120

KoemansNumberTens

All very sensible.

Surely his argument would be that he'd struggle to afford players who could play a different way with the same results.

November 05, 2017, 06:30:28 PM
Reply #1121

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Surely his argument would be that he'd struggle to afford players who could play a different way with the same results.

Yes but see my point re Allardyce at Bolton.

Or even Moyesí later years here (when I donít think weíve matched some of the team goals since) - the overall approach still is the most obvious style.

Can we think of anyone who has completely changed approach in their career (genuinely interested as canít personally)?

November 05, 2017, 06:34:31 PM
Reply #1122

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Can you see a totally different approach though?

Can you think of anyone who really flip flops from one club to the next based on the players?

Yes thatís what Burnley need and thatís why heís been successful at it, because thatís what he is.

Allardyce had some (way more) skilful players at Bolton than Dyche has but his core approach was get it in the box as many times as possible. Theyíd do some good stuff some times but they werenít consistently easy on the eye.

And yes, I get our risk if the new manager fails but are we panicked that much, that we canít escape some of the absolute dross in the PL with what we should be appointing, ie a manager worthy of £4-6m a year salary?

Yeah I wouldnít expect an about face turn around, and this is where Iím going expose myself here as an idiot...but Iíd like him to add lightning fast counters like simeone or sarri.

Iíve got no evidence that he has that in the locker.

November 05, 2017, 06:38:46 PM
Reply #1123

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah I wouldnít expect an about face turn around, and this is where Iím going expose myself here as an idiot...but Iíd like him to add lightning fast counters like simeone or sarri.

Iíve got no evidence that he has that in the locker.

Thatís what I mean.

There are equivalent style players at that budget / level.

Yet after selling Gray, who was a bit less of a big lump style striker, heís replaced him with Wood who is (pertaining to be better than) the same style as Vokes / Barnes.

Pochettino came in and immediately had a distinct style that is transferable from lower mid table teams to top ones. 

November 05, 2017, 06:48:15 PM
Reply #1124

KoemansNumberTens

Are we too caught up on style here. How many seasons of say the last 25 have we really been entertained. How many did we win anything. How many did we even overachieve on our seasons goals. Not many for any of the questions.... I genuinely don't care. Mainly in last 25 years we've been differing shades of shite, won fuck all and mainly we've all been left fucked off and let down

I just want to win some football games. He can strangle the life out of every match if we over achieve year on year

99.9% of said entertainment is down to the result. We ain't going home smiling every week if we keep getting beat 4 3