Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 91312 times)

November 07, 2017, 04:26:21 AM
Reply #1230

MmmBlueRamirez

Could be worse I suppose. Could be Roy Hodgson.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

November 07, 2017, 04:28:06 AM
Reply #1231

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Text off my mate who is a West Ham fan - "I've been waiting for a text off you to take the piss about Moyes. But then I saw that Big Sam is favourite for your lot. You're coming down with us 😂"
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

November 07, 2017, 04:33:21 AM
Reply #1232

KoemansNumberTens

Keep saying this and ill say it again, it amazes me why any Evertonian would want him here, some have short memories, he had chances at bigger teams and failed every single time, Newcastle, West Ham are two examples, he was hated

People just want a manager who they know little about and who's teams they've seen play once or twice if they are lucky. Failing that anyone who likes Everton will do.

He wouldn't be my first choice but shouts of he'll get us relegated are just plain nonsense. His whole thing is he saves teams from relegation.

I voted either unsworth or silva originally but in truth 1 was a romantic choice and the other I've probably seen his teams play 2 or 3 times and he's lost 2 or 3 times. The guy who used to manage Dortmund.... I've probably not seen 90 minutes of. How many of us have.

There's nothing thrilling or too worrying about most on the list. They are all combinations of unknown risks and a bit boring.

I can understand people not wanting him. Worrying about his style of play or if he can manage at a higher level. I'm not having people suggesting he's not had a very good career though. He's very good at what he does

November 07, 2017, 04:34:07 AM
Reply #1233

BlueBeagle

Text off my mate who is a West Ham fan - "I've been waiting for a text off you to take the piss about Moyes. But then I saw that Big Sam is favourite for your lot. You're coming down with us 😂"

Sam would guarantee we won't tbf to him

November 07, 2017, 04:38:23 AM
Reply #1234

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Sam would guarantee we won't tbf to him

You can't guarantee anything in this world

Except death

And taxes

And an Everton defeat at Anfield
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:40:57 AM by Brownie20 »

November 07, 2017, 04:41:38 AM
Reply #1235

KoemansNumberTens

You can't guarantee anything in this world

Except death

And taxes

And an Everton defeat at Anfield

Of course not but shouts of he'll take us down are utterly daft when in reality he'd be the safe option against it

November 07, 2017, 04:43:14 AM
Reply #1236

Bigjmill

I reckon we go for Pirlo as the next manager. The guy is cool as fuck and every world class player would jump on the band wagon
REMOVED FOOTER TO SHUT Sir Stealth Up !

November 07, 2017, 04:44:47 AM
Reply #1237

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Of course not but shouts of he'll take us down are utterly daft when in reality he'd be the safe option against it

It's this complacency that worries me. In the past he has done it, he may do it this time if appointed. But there's always a first time.

November 07, 2017, 04:51:42 AM
Reply #1238

everton1952

I reckon we go for Pirlo as the next manager. The guy is cool as fuck and every world class player would jump on the band wagon
Is he the one in the Russian second division?  Or was that Pirlovsky? Is he any good and can he get Everton into the top 4 next season,  after he has signed all those world class players of course. Sam can't do that, so I am backing Purlivsky on your say so.

November 07, 2017, 04:56:12 AM
Reply #1239

KoemansNumberTens

It's this complacency that worries me. In the past he has done it, he may do it this time if appointed. But there's always a first time.

I actually just think that appointing managers is pretty much a lottery anyway. There's no right answer on that list and there's very few definitely wrong 1s. It's not worth a lot of drama either way.
Could make a reasonable argument for and against almost everyone on that list.

My biggest worry with allardyce would be what he said after his 1 England game. That it wasn't for him to tell rooney where to play. In terms of style I couldn't care less. Just want to win some games and maybe even have a go against the top teams

November 07, 2017, 05:43:22 AM
Reply #1240

ally2

Having knowledge of suitable candidates is a full time job in itself. I can only comment on the qualities that I think are important, can't I.

I think this is the problem though. It seems from reading on here that we expect much better than Allardyce, but the inference is that there is someone better. Good managers are usually employed.

This was partially my issue with the pitch fork thing and Koeman. Yeah OK maybe whoever didn't like Koeman and wanted him gone. He went and this forum rapidly became confused not really knowing what they wanted. That took about two days.

Early doors it was Marco Silva. It took one game for that to change. Then Unsworth. Leicester changed that.

The fan base still hasn't got a clue. But they'll start crying if it's Allardyce before a ball's been kicked. The criticism has already moved to Moshiri. He did what the fans wanted (not me I hasten to add). Now it seems we want a mystery manager from abroad. That is a massive risk. I don't understand why people can't see that.

It's all very well saying it's not my problem. The fans played a big part in the problem. Koeman deserved more time, and he deserved more support. When the fans turn early, the players pick up on that and then it snowballs. And then you've quickly turned into crystal palace sacking your manager every season. I never wanted that. I think the fans have to take some responsibility for this mess too.

November 07, 2017, 05:46:10 AM
Reply #1241

kramer0

The "but who can deliver all that?" question proves even further why we need a proper director of football, not just a scout who's been promoted to the level of his incompetence.

Keeping tabs on managers across Europe -- playing style, record with young players, etc. -- is basically a full-time job, like van der Meyde says. There's next to no chance that Moshiri and Kenwright follow these things carefully enough to make an informed decision about who's best to lead Everton forward. That's why the shortlist is basically comprised of names close to home, like Allardyce (well-known in England), Dyche, Silva (early season PL success stories), and Nuno (early season Championship success story), with a couple of well-known, out-of-reach options from abroad (Ancelotti, Tuchel) thrown in for good measure.

This is the sort of thing a proper DoF can handle. The job is all about learning what players, managers, coaches, etc. are a good fit for the club and it's goals and using that information to find the right candidate when the club needs a new player, manager, coach, etc.

Where managers are concerned, the DoF is particularly important. If you haven't noticed, the vast majority of them are only good for two or three years at an individual club. There are outliers -- Sir Alex Ferguson, Wenger, etc. -- but by and large, most only perform well for a few years before they burn out or their ideas get stale. The only way to keep transitions smooth is to have to someone who understands managerial talent and has targets lined up ahead of time. Moshiri and Kenwright weren't at all prepared to be in our current situation, hence the lack of movement, and Walsh just wants to bring his pals to the club. It goes without saying that that's a bad process.

The best move for the long-term health of the club would be to sack Walsh and find someone qualified to take on a greater share of power in making big football decisions, especially if it takes the burden off of Moshiri/Kenwright. It's a healthy sign that we want someone in that sort of position, but in practice, it's been a disaster and, done poorly, a DoF does more harm than good.

In the absence of swapping out Walsh for someone better, Moshiri and Kenwright need to look into football consulting firms. Moshiri worked with 21st Club when he bought into Everton so clearly he's not against the idea. Ted Knutson's consulting group would do a much better job of identifying suitable targets than any of the big decision-makers at the club, which would hold us over until next time. I'd still prefer to see us have qualified decision-makers in house, though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:47:36 AM by kramer0 »

November 07, 2017, 05:55:31 AM
Reply #1242

Gash

Global Moderator
The "but who can deliver all that?" question proves even further why we need a proper director of football, not just a scout who's been promoted to the level of his incompetence.

Keeping tabs on managers across Europe -- playing style, record with young players, etc. -- is basically a full-time job, like van der Meyde says. There's next to no chance that Moshiri and Kenwright follow these things carefully enough to make an informed decision about who's best to lead Everton forward. That's why the shortlist is basically comprised of names close to home, like Allardyce (well-known in England), Dyche, Silva (early season PL success stories), and Nuno (early season Championship success story), with a couple of well-known, out-of-reach options from abroad (Ancelotti, Tuchel) thrown in for good measure.

This is the sort of thing a proper DoF can handle. The job is all about learning what players, managers, coaches, etc. are a good fit for the club and it's goals and using that information to find the right candidate when the club needs a new player, manager, coach, etc.

Where managers are concerned, the DoF is particularly important. If you haven't noticed, the vast majority of them are only good for two or three years at an individual club. There are outliers -- Sir Alex Ferguson, Wenger, etc. -- but by and large, most only perform well for a few years before they burn out or their ideas get stale. The only way to keep transitions smooth is to have to someone who understands managerial talent and has targets lined up ahead of time. Moshiri and Kenwright weren't at all prepared to be in our current situation, hence the lack of movement, and Walsh just wants to bring his pals to the club. It goes without saying that that's a bad process.

The best move for the long-term health of the club would be to sack Walsh and find someone qualified to take on a greater share of power in making big football decisions, especially if it takes the burden off of Moshiri/Kenwright. It's a healthy sign that we want someone in that sort of position, but in practice, it's been a disaster and, done poorly, a DoF does more harm than good.

In the absence of swapping out Walsh for someone better, Moshiri and Kenwright need to look into football consulting firms. Moshiri worked with 21st Club when he bought into Everton so clearly he's not against the idea. Ted Knutson's consulting group would do a much better job of identifying suitable targets than any of the big decision-makers at the club, which would hold us over until next time. I'd still prefer to see us have qualified decision-makers in house, though.

You want rid of Walsh? Well you've kept that quiet!

November 07, 2017, 05:59:40 AM
Reply #1243

kramer0

You want rid of Walsh? Well you've kept that quiet!

Yes, I have a bad habit of repeating my opinions over and over until someone calls me out.

On to the next one...

November 07, 2017, 06:00:35 AM
Reply #1244

ally2

I've no idea how good a job Walsh has done. It's there anything in Emanalo resigning at Chelsea?