Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 162397 times)

November 21, 2017, 09:30:11 PM
Reply #2025

kramer0

I actually think van Gaal's boring, defensive-possession approach to football would work for this group of players, and might see us over the line comfortably. He's not afraid of youth players, either. The main problems are (1) he's a terrible man manager who gives his players no freedom to make their own decisions, and (2) he's a genuinely dislikable guy. Until the end of the season, I can just about see that working for us. Anything beyond that would be a drain on the club.

It's irrelevant, anyhow. He's retired and the rumour is most likely a ploy from the club to force Silva's hand (or a cheap attempt by the bookies to get some extra money).

Edit: He also has a history of doing petty things to undermine Koeman, which would be a funny subplot.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:25:39 AM by kramer0 »

November 21, 2017, 11:40:00 PM
Reply #2026

bluenuck

Lvg got the Man Utd job and they are far bigger in size and profile to us. The jury is out as to whether he was given a fair crack of the whip (ditto Moyes). I would have no problem him coming to Everton. Get it or something sorted: we are a shambles of a club delaying matters this long.

It's weird one for me.

Yeah, you can look at it as embarrassing, and shambolic.

Or, you can look at it as we're taking our time to try and get the right man for the job instead of knee jerking and hiring Sam Allardyce which would piss people off even more.

Depends on how you look at it, really.

November 22, 2017, 12:00:21 AM
Reply #2027

Bluedylan

It's weird one for me.

Yeah, you can look at it as embarrassing, and shambolic.

Or, you can look at it as we're taking our time to try and get the right man for the job instead of knee jerking and hiring Sam Allardyce which would piss people off even more.

Depends on how you look at it, really.

I'd say a bit of both.

It's shambolic that we fired Koeman with seemingly no clue as to his successor. As with players, we should constantly be reviewing managerial performances around Europe (even if our manager is doing well) and having an actual database and lists of different people that we've identified as possible options now and in the future. That seems like basic common sense to me, not an outlandish new idea. There's so many intangibles and variables in football, as a business, that we should be all over the 'tangibles' and things that we can control.

But now that we're in this position, and with the fortune of having Unsworth take a little of the pressure off, we absolutely need to make the best appointment for the future of the club, and not make another knee jerk, ill-conceived panic decision.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 22, 2017, 12:25:25 AM
Reply #2028

arteta4spain

I'd say a bit of both.

It's shambolic that we fired Koeman with seemingly no clue as to his successor. As with players, we should constantly be reviewing managerial performances around Europe (even if our manager is doing well) and having an actual database and lists of different people that we've identified as possible options now and in the future. That seems like basic common sense to me, not an outlandish new idea. There's so many intangibles and variables in football, as a business, that we should be all over the 'tangibles' and things that we can control.

But now that we're in this position, and with the fortune of having Unsworth take a little of the pressure off, we absolutely need to make the best appointment for the future of the club, and not make another knee jerk, ill-conceived panic decision.
You know what, we'll appoint someone and it'll be the worst decision because it'd be so Everton to wait and not be hasty!!
Can see it coming! 🤦‍♂️

November 22, 2017, 12:28:01 AM
Reply #2029

ally2

I'd say a bit of both.

But fans were crying for Koeman to be sacked!  I stand by my feelings at the time that we should have not sacked him. I know you disagree but a fair few other fans are slowly starting to realise this now. Not everything was his fault.

Anyway what's done is done. This is taking an awful long time though. I think what we are raising is that wanting and getting are two very different things.

November 22, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Reply #2030

Shogun

Administrator
Seems like the Sigurdsson saga again here.

Watford "No, you can't have him"
Everton "£8.5m"
Watford "No!"
Everton "Alright, alright. How does £8.5m and £1 sound?"

*2 months later*

'Everton sign Silva for £30m'
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 22, 2017, 12:33:08 AM
Reply #2031

Evertonian in NC

Perhaps the "players likening Koeman to the Nazis" faction was quite large, and a mutiny was brewing. That's the best I can come up with for why we leaped with no real succession plan.

Especially seeing how little respect senior players like Rooney and Schneiderlin have for Unsworth.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 22, 2017, 12:42:57 AM
Reply #2032

Bluedylan

But fans were crying for Koeman to be sacked!  I stand by my feelings at the time that we should have not sacked him. I know you disagree but a fair few other fans are slowly starting to realise this now. Not everything was his fault.

Anyway what's done is done. This is taking an awful long time though. I think what we are raising is that wanting and getting are two very different things.

Yeah I fully support the sacking still, and think it should've been done earlier if anything.

I had a weird hope that there might've been some planning in place, but apparently that was too much to ask.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 22, 2017, 12:52:08 AM
Reply #2033

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
There’s no way at the start of the season we’d have envisaged Koeman not being here (good or bad) 9 PL games into the season.

That said; once the crowd’s mood had turned to such a degree (after the Burnley game) then they should have really ramped up the list of potential options.

That list should have been based on medium to long term, well as relative as that can be with managers, options as you don’t / shouldn’t sack someone whose PL record was 7th, 6th, 7th in the first third of a season unless you think that they’re massively under performing with the players at their disposal.

We clearly didn’t do that as the options list, at least the reported one, had no cohesion of approach.

However whatever the wrongs of all that we should still be careful with this appointment unless we’re making a sensible “end of season” appointment to buy us time.

November 22, 2017, 01:00:59 AM
Reply #2034

bluenuck

I'd say a bit of both.

It's shambolic that we fired Koeman with seemingly no clue as to his successor.....

Yes. This should be pissing people off. The length of time it's taking is okay. When they began looking is not okay. I'm convinced we began our search for a new coach on October 24th.

Not saying I'd like to generally emulate them, or hire David Moyes, but West ham sacked Bilic and hired Moyes all within 48 hours. There was obviously a plan in place weeks before this happened.

November 22, 2017, 01:05:36 AM
Reply #2035

Tofifee

I would have no problem with LVG, in fact, I would be made up with it.
I would also be very happy with Silva

And as for the delay, they can delay as long as they want so long as it means Fat Sam only ever has to pay to get into Goodison as far as I am concerned

November 22, 2017, 01:17:38 AM
Reply #2036

plumber

I have a problem with van Gaal, specifically with that weird thing on his face where should be his nose. It really scares me.

November 22, 2017, 01:54:48 AM
Reply #2037

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Is Nagalsman out of the question?
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 22, 2017, 02:09:17 AM
Reply #2038

Mayor Farnum

I have some sympathy with the board as they were pushed into acting by the players downing tools for Koeman. If the board had given Koeman another month while they lined up a replacement we could have been in a much worse predicament.
Add to that that it all happened at the worst time of the season because any manager of note was in employment and in the the early stages of their season.

November 22, 2017, 02:14:28 AM
Reply #2039

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Is Nagalsman out of the question?

Presume he’d keep his powder dry for Bayern etc.