June 24, 2018, 02:47:16 PM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 27043 times)

November 16, 2017, 10:25:25 PM
Reply #180

Macca77

Further tactical analysis of why he's nothing like Martinez whatsoever:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-marco-silva-watford-manager-13898958

Copy and paste please, the echo website slows my computer down so much

November 16, 2017, 10:29:50 PM
Reply #181

BlueNoseMike

Not really. In a fair test only one thing should differ.
You really don't know how anyone will do. Martinez arrived here and done really well with basically Moyes' players, then he brought in his own guys and fucked up big time. Koeman also done better with Martinez's players than the shite he brought in.
You cant compare how someone done at Hull or Watford or Burnley or anywhere because it is all irrelevant, because if they come to Everton they will have different players (some say better players but...) to operate with. It is all a huge gamble, they could flop like Koeman or they could take off big time like Martinez' first season. No one knows.

Sorry I don't know what your point is here at all.

Of course it's difficult to judge how a manager will do based on his record at his current/previous job. I don't disagree with that. Of course I don't know how anyone will do, nobody does. What is the point your making?

My point is I'd feel a lot more comfortable judging him over a longer period of time than an 11 game period where they have done relatively well.  Clearly you can make a more solid judgement of someone as a manager when they have been in the role for a longer period which was my point. A point you don't disagree with based on your comments so I don't know what your point is

November 16, 2017, 10:32:59 PM
Reply #182

BlueNoseMike

Anyone tracking Martinez after a full season with us would have been having orgasms about how great he was, yet we now know better. It means nothing.

Which is why I would not want to rush in on Silva after 11 games. What's your point?

November 17, 2017, 03:31:49 AM
Reply #183

Lxxx

I don't think he's a Martinez but I also don't necessarily think what he's done so far is cause for any great excitement. He looks okay, could prove great, could go the other way. I think the potential upside is worth the risk rather than hire someone like Dyche who I feel would be another Moyes or Allardyce, who reminds me too much of a Walter Smith appointment for me to even consider being worth a shot.

November 17, 2017, 04:20:58 AM
Reply #184

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Got a much more promising record than Koeman and Martinez ever had.

November 17, 2017, 04:27:33 AM
Reply #185

Makis

Copy and paste please, the echo website slows my computer down so much
Install Adblock and Noscript, should help.

November 17, 2017, 04:28:30 AM
Reply #186

Gash

Global Moderator
Install Adblock and Noscript, should help.

Is that manager and assistant? Never heard of them.

November 17, 2017, 04:39:24 AM
Reply #187

ally2

Is that manager and assistant? Never heard of them.

Unfortunately the release clause is a piss-take.  Back to square 1 it is

November 17, 2017, 04:50:29 AM
Reply #188

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Should a club  look for potential (like Man U with Ferguson?) as potential comes with risk.
Going with an accomplished manager also has risks (Mourinho at Chelsea second time around?)
I hope the club is brave and goes for potential because if they get it right the rewards are massive and I'll forgive them for being wrong providing they show ambition and guts trying.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

November 17, 2017, 05:13:07 AM
Reply #189

Evertonian in NC

How about 40m?  Surely our preferred manager is worth 0.9 Sigurdssons?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 17, 2017, 06:03:31 AM
Reply #190

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Got a much more promising record than Koeman and Martinez ever had.

Koeman has a superior record although all of his trophies came over 8 years ago.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

November 17, 2017, 06:10:20 AM
Reply #191

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Nor sure about him having a much more promising record than either Koeman or Martinez tbh, not that we should use them as a yardstick.

Koeman has had more success, in the Prem and abroad.
Martinez has also had much more success in the Prem, he also got his team relegated, but did manage to win a trophy I suppose.
I suppose as a younger man, maybe he's more highly regarded than either Martinez or Koeman were at that age.

I'm warming to the idea of Silva, but Im still leaning more towards keeping Unsworth in place until the end of the season, weigh up our options then.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:11:29 AM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

November 17, 2017, 01:43:08 PM
Reply #192

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Silva has improved every team he's managed.

Can't say that for the other two.

November 17, 2017, 08:26:29 PM
Reply #193

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Watford manager Marco Silva has refused to deny speculation that he is keen to take the Everton job.

The Portuguese moved to Vicarage Road over the summer and has overseen a fine start to the season, guiding the Hornets to 15 points from their first 11 games and ninth place in the table.

The Toffees are in the hunt for a new manager after sacking Ronald Koeman at the end of the month, meanwhile, and have reportedly been turned down twice by Watfordover a move for Silva.

"What I can tell you about this situation is I look at this situation like for some players when they play well, or somebody that the coach wants from another club," Silva told journalists today. "For me, now this is a case for the board and the owners to discuss the situation. For me it is a normal situation, I understand the question."

Asked if he wanted to talk to Everton but was being prevented from doing so, he responded: "I don't answer this question. I read many many things in the week. I need to talk with my owner, my board and my players as well. I do my job normally during the week.

"I don't want to talk about Everton. I am here to talk about the West Ham match. If you want to talk to me about Everton, it's not the club where I work."

Positive?
Simply simply lovely

November 17, 2017, 08:31:05 PM
Reply #194

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber