October 22, 2017, 06:58:50 PM

Author Topic: [News]Moshiri backs bumbling Koeman  (Read 3313 times)

Online toffee_scot

• Dave Hickson
Re: [News]Moshiri backs bumbling Koeman
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »
But his career has always peaked and troughed. Success in Holland followed by failure at a high profile and demanding club in Valencia. Success for Southampton followed by challenging times at a higher profile and demanding club in Everton.
His two peaks at Soton coincided with our lows under Martinez, he'd have finished under us if we'd reverted to our average form and league positions.
The point is he was never a serious upgrade for where we wanted to be. He was a big named stopgap who was probably only ever going to consolidate 7th for us and no more really. He's not innovative or charismatic or loyal, all of which were known before his appointment.

In my opinion he was a vanity appointment by an owner who wanted to make a statement by appointing an ex-legend of the game, without doing serious due diligence on whether he was the right fit for the foreseeable future.

I was initially quite supportive of Koeman's appointment because he did a really good job at Southampton considering every season half of their team wanted to leave or were approached by Liverpool and other clubs and he managed to recruit and work with a few decent players to turn Southampton into a good solid Premier League side. He seemed a no nonsense manager who knew the Premier League well and would sort out our defence which was atrocious at the time and get us much further up the table.

Granted he might have seemed a 'safe' option but to be fair he came in, saw there was quite a bit of work to do and managed to turn a very demoralised team into a team that finished in the top 7. I'm sure though Moshiri partly wanted to appoint him because he was a very well known name in football and spoke about NW England being some sort of "Hollywood" for managers.

However this season, we were supposed to see improvement but the complete opposite has happened - I don't think many people saw this at all. Some could look at our transfer policy but it is still up to the manager to get the best out of the team especially as he will have been consulted about the signings especially the likes of Martina, Rooney and Sigurdsson which he has wanted for a while. Looking at his record though it is true that his managerial career has been quite patchy and I think he also resigned from one of the Dutch clubs he managed. My big concern was also the fact he has managed 7 clubs before us so he is not really a long term manager whatever the 'project' might be.

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team