November 22, 2017, 03:21:46 PM

Author Topic: Moshiri  (Read 4903 times)

Offline toffee_scot

• Dave Hickson
Re: Moshiri
« on: November 02, 2017, 02:52:09 AM »
But I'm starting to strongly suspect Sigurdsson is actually Moshiri's 'special' player. Walsh and Koeman rate him, but neither seems to want to own him and he has played a bit like an outcast. It ended up at the sort of figure I think someone higher up had to love.

I thought Koeman had wanted Sigurdsson ever since he was still the manager of Southampton, I think Koeman just struggled to utilise him properly because we had Rooney playing in the exact same role and the manager felt obliged to play Rooney as a guaranteed started for 90 minutes most games. If anything I think Rooney is the 'special' player that the board identified.

Both Walsh and Koeman would have had a hard job convincing people to spend that sort of money or for what purpose.

For Walsh, that's not going to make a profit, and he doesn't really fit the mould of what Koeman wanted. I think it was a case that no one else was going to question the wisdom of the person in charge, that fits Moshiri better than anyone else given circumstances. It's clearly not the right tool for the job, its not a prudent investment and Koeman specifically said he had no creativity, I took that as a direct or indirect swipe at Sigurdsson given his assists.

I wonder who actually controls the budget for transfers and other related fees at the club. From my understanding, Kenwright was the one who negotiated the Sigurdsson deal as he was the one who mentioned to the player he would get the deal done but it would take time. Very little is known about Walsh's remit at the club except he helped identify players for the manager, basically a chief scout of some sort.

Moshiri's background is in accounting, so I would have thought he would be the one most concerned about the books at the club. Since he's been a shareholder at the club, we have done much better on the business side of things including securing more lucrative sponsorship deals in certain areas.

Sometimes though, clubs just have to buy a player entering their peak years (27-30yrs) because they are more likely to hit the ground running with their quality and instantly improve a side. You can't always view these deals in terms of re-sale value. The club probably genuinely thought Sigurdsson was the player who would transform Everton from just a top 7 side into a top-4 competing side.

Chairmen are supposed to oversee, not to interfere and distract. There just seems too much desire to be the centre of attention in a way that even Kenwright appreciated he shouldn't. Say what you want about Kenwright, he knew his time to shine and when it was time to reflect or support a manager rather than scramble everything through anxiety and fear.

Moshiri's PR strategy is still something I don't quite understand. He hasn't really been shown interacting or speaking directly to the Everton fans except one FA Cup victory against Chelsea and then the AGM last year. He seems to have kept largely a low profile except on transfer deadline day or occasionally he would message Jim White with some of his comments have been cringe-worthy at best. To be fair Kenwright has also had some sound bites that would have come back to haunt him like "watch this space" during a disappointing transfer window or "what a manager" a couple of months before Martinez was sacked.

I wouldn't say Moshiri wants to be the centre of attention but I think he is still coming to terms with being the big shot at a big club and has had to make some major decisions and plans for managerial changes, implementing a director of football structure and of course improving the business side of things where he is probably more comfortable working within. 

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team