January 20, 2018, 11:19:32 PM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 20070 times)

Offline AllyBlue14

• Duncan Ferguson
Re: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
I'm going to back up @Blargins here, Martinez was hot property when he left Wigan, despite having taken them down. He turned down the RS the summer before.

Silva seems to have had some success in other leagues previously, but it's as good as irrelevant when you come to the PL. There are plenty of good managers who have come here and failed because they can't adapt to the league - as there are players.

Martinez had won the FA Cup and despite seeing Wigan relegated, it was seen as a miracle he kept them up for so long. When he joined us, his first season was phen....great, but he took over a very good squad and made some very good late acquisitions. After that, he turned it to shit.

Silva took a struggling Hull down but was commended because it was almost nailed on (despite being only 2 points from safety when he took over, I think I read before) and they had fought more than people expected. He's made a good start with Watford but they have been a bit flimsy at times this season already.

I don't think you have to analyse many stats to see that Silva would be closer to Martinez in approach than the more pragmatic Allardyce and Dyche. But I think the similarity is more in the 'flavour of the month' kind of appointment, when there isn't much to back it up, rather than saying they're both young, Iberian managers who don't park 10 men behind the ball.

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team