November 14, 2018, 04:39:50 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 133986 times)

Offline Thomas

• Peter Reid
    • EST1878
Re: The big man, the boss; Big Sam
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »
Some awful revisionism going on in here.

Martinez was terrible. Our defence wasn't a mess because of the players, it was because of his lack of focus on defence. Which he stated many times. Absurd words to come out a manager's mouth.

Meanwhile the romanticism leads people to think "well defensively we were bad, but going forward we were exciting'. No we fucking weren't. We were shite. Last 18 months watching us was dreadful, we had no effective plan of how to attack, every other manager had figured us out, we literally didn't beat a single team above us in the league the entire time.

This isn't just a fan opinion. Multiple players have come out and said how appaling he was. Pienaar, Hibbert, Baines, Jags etc.  And remember Baines eyerolling? Or Lukakus reaction when he found out about the Belgium job? Martinez had zero respect from all our top players.

I can't emphasise this enough: Martinez was absolutely fucking shite and getting rid of him was one of the best (if far too delayed) decisions I've ever seen the club make.
This. I didnt go his firat season but I went everywhere home and away his last 2. It was horrendous and he lost me when he left Baines to hang out to dry after he made some critical but correct comments about our performances, which as a senior and popular player i felt he was entitled to do so.

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team