February 19, 2018, 11:55:40 PM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 70289 times)

Offline formerKHL

• Duncan Ferguson
Re: The big man, the boss; Big Sam
« on: January 24, 2018, 06:02:55 PM »
here's my take on sam....

at Bolton he came up with a "new approach" to coaching which was all based around psychology, statistics and "new" anaerobic methods of training and sports science.....he bought players that fitted his style of play and bought into his methods of coaching. He then surrounded himself with sports scientists and "new style coaches" who actually did the work for him.....he oversaw it...

It wasn't a new approach as a whole in football, Sven Goran Erikson had been doing it for years abroad.....but it was new in this country.
He had some success with this "new approach" with Bolton....top 6 finishes European cup progression etc....

This coincided with the introduction in this country of the Football Academies....sams style was quickly "adopted" by the FA as the way forward and he was seen as very innovative in his methods.......yet remember he introduced it but didn't actually do it...I have attended many FA seminars where he was guest presenter......When you listen to him talk football he is very convincing and talks a good game and I've had many conversations with him over the years both professionally and privately....(no we're not mates)

Here is the problem..... this new innovative approach is now old hat and as many people have stated football has moved on...sports science in football has moved on.... but sam is still surrounded but the same team of people doing the same stuff.........his reputation as recognised... is now "a saviour" of relegation and his style is that of don't lose rather than try to win games.......it has in the main always been like that with him for me...

sam is now just a figurehead of a team of coaches and sports scientists....who talks a good a game...(sometimes) He is the overseer/frontman for want of better phrase........and now him and his team being found out.....

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team