May 25, 2018, 12:58:04 AM

Author Topic: The big man, the boss; Big Sam  (Read 110755 times)

Offline Bluedylan

• Dixie Dean
Re: The big man, the boss; Big Sam
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
I didn't want him and would have thought anyone suggesting that in July would be living in a weird world!
I agree there are some thoughtful posts and people have come to different conclusions and have different opinions - I respect that and I don't think I've ever shown disrespect to those views.
He's on an 18 month contract and I am assuming  the club thought there was a real chance of relegation. I still thought it was a remote chance. If so I suspect this season is about ensuring safety and laying foundations for moving on next year -basically we've gone back 2 years.
If I'm right then the correct time to review progress, or lack of, is the end of the season. There is no long term commitment to Sam so the club keeps its options open.
I don't think there is much doubt about the level of performance ( I've seen all apart from 2 ) but my opinion is now shaped by a belief that the playing side of the club  was in a far worse state than many realised with the only part of the team functioning on the pitch was the keeper position and God knows what was happening behind the doors of Finch Farm.
Perhaps the main difference of opinion is about when we judge Sam''s performance? I just think now is too soon.
I don't expect scintillating attacking confident play in a relegation fight, first I want safety at whatever cost.
He's signed two experienced forwards and I suspect there may be more ins and outs before the window closes.
57 days is too soon to judge. Simple as that

57 days, plus a couple of decades worth of previous club management. More than enough time and evidence to form a reasonable opinion.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team