September 24, 2018, 07:17:53 AM

Author Topic: Is Schneiderlin a bad player?  (Read 11602 times)

Online kramer0

• Joe Royle
Re: Is Schneiderlin a bad player?
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »
He just seems unable to do anything with or without the ball. I'm sure (someone correct me if I am wrong) but at Southampton I'm pretty sure he used to surge forward with the ball and stride through midfield. I always remember Wanyama as the sitting player and he used to influence play more. Maybe it was at a time he was trying to impress and earn his big move away or he may have been hungrier/happier or my memory is playing tricks on me.

I've been thinking about that myself. Schneiderlin may have been a little more ambitious at the time but I think he and Wanyama were both holding players first and foremost.

That Southampton team had a lot of player types we don't and there's a good chance that those other things are what made the two DM approach work, at least in terms of build-ups:

- two attacking fullbacks (Bertrand, Clyne)
- an effective box-to-box midfielder (Davis)
- a genuinely good creative passer (Tadic)

Maybe Tom Davies is a good box-to-box player (maybe) but we're currently hurting for fullbacks that contribute to build-ups and anyone who can pick a pass in the final third.

(Probably also helped their cause to have Pelle (target man) and Mane/Elia/Long (pace!!!) when they needed to play more directly.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:58:57 PM by kramer0 »

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team