September 25, 2017, 06:25:06 PM

Author Topic: Deadline Day Summer 2013  (Read 74919 times)

September 03, 2013, 04:26:36 PM
Reply #1575

posterwithoutaclue

Not getting ahead of myself. Lukaku and Barry are loan signings. I'm pretty sure Lukaku will not be here next year and he'll probably just return to Chelsea. We got bent over a barrel with McCarthy I'd say he's an 8 million player but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Hope he proves me wrong.

It was such a vital last hour. Those signings may have bailed Martinez out of the shit this year if Lukaku can get the goals and McCarthy prove his pricetag. But it's not a sustainable business model is it? How many more sellable assets do we have? We're truly fucked next year IMO, even though we did make a big profit in the window.

I doubt we'll see much of that come January. The sell-on fee will go to Liege and I don't want to know what the loan fee for Lukaku was. I'd say, overall, we probably came out of today with around 12/13 million, but most of that will more than likely go to fending off the banks.

The next order of business should be giving the best left back in the world a new contract. Make him the highest earner, who could argue with that? Lord knows if we don't United will come knocking again and I couldn't blame him for wanting to go. Made up he's decided to stay though!

All the best to Anichebe and Fellaini. Two of my favourite Everton players.

you were doing well up until here  :P

September 03, 2013, 04:41:26 PM
Reply #1576

Bluedylan

Anyone in the Prem would be happy with Lukaku (apart from possibly Man City), so that's a great coup. We've got Chelsea's best striker playing for us next season. So it's on loan. We can investigate the possibility of a long term move, and if that's not possible RM and his scouts have a year to assess the squad and scout players to bring in.

Barry's a solid, intelligent addition. Not my favourite player in the world personally, but I can absolutely see the sense and logic in bringing in proven depth. As others have said, his contract's up next year, and if he has a good season with us, I'm sure we can pick him up on a free. If he doesn't set the world on fire or we scout other midfielders, we can even terminate the loan by January, so we've given ourselves great flexibility there.

And I can't wait til McCarthy has played 4 or 5 games in a row for us, because I'm looking forward to the inevitable ''McCarthy looks better than I thought'' threads and posts. I honestly think this will prove to be one of the best signings of the entire window for any club, and that his value will be double that after a good season or two with us. Who cares if he came from Wigan? He's the one RM wanted all along, and the other ex Wigan players are literally just providing depth and cover.

I understand the concerns about having a few loans, and people saying it's a short term fix, but I really think that's a good thing. RM and his team behind the scenes couldn't possibly know our team inside out yet, and couldn't know exactly the players we're going to need moving forward. There is a perception that the loans leave us vulnerable in the future, because we'll lose players, but it actually gives us huge flexibility and buys time. Would people rather us do a lash minute trollet dash like Arsenal 2 years ago, and hope that 2 out of our 5 signings turn out well?

Sad to see Felli go (his name's on my Everton top), but it was inevitable for a long time and we fleeced and embarrassed the Mancs. Hope Victor has a successful and happy career, and never scores against us ever.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

September 03, 2013, 05:07:01 PM
Reply #1577

ally2

Agreed bluedylan.

This was the smart thing to do in getting loans. If I had to be critical, I would say there's been TOO MUCH change if anything. Evolution not revolution. But he first team hasn't changed that much.

Hopefully we can start to replace defenders next. I was surprised to see heitinga not leave.

I think the critical player in this set up will be creative player in the centre. I don't think Barkley is quite there yet and we are placing quite a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. I hope that Martinez recognises this and that we use wing play more, particularly as we now have a striker who will thrive on that service. And what service!  Baines and Coleman need to start tearing up the league now.

September 03, 2013, 05:13:25 PM
Reply #1578

Bluedylan

PS Barry's press conference is live on the OS from 11.30am.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

September 03, 2013, 05:47:05 PM
Reply #1579

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Good post that Bluedylan. Agree with much of it.

Martinez has bought himself time, and has beefed up the squad a lot. We now have a dedicated player as back up for the entire first team now.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

September 03, 2013, 06:14:08 PM
Reply #1580

toffee_scot

I understand the concerns about having a few loans, and people saying it's a short term fix, but I really think that's a good thing. RM and his team behind the scenes couldn't possibly know our team inside out yet, and couldn't know exactly the players we're going to need moving forward. There is a perception that the loans leave us vulnerable in the future, because we'll lose players, but it actually gives us huge flexibility and buys time. Would people rather us do a lash minute trollet dash like Arsenal 2 years ago, and hope that 2 out of our 5 signings turn out well?

Spot on

Plus, another way of looking at it is imagine if we didn't have Lukaku, Barry and Deulofeu in our squad for the season then we would have been worse off. There may even be an outside chance we could sign one or two of those players depending to what extent they are part of the future first team plans of their parent clubs or we could extend their loan deal for another season.

I hope Kevin Reeves and the scouting team can help us find some good value top quality players for the long term in the next 10 months, but I like it, we are better prepared and we by the next summer - assuming all goes well this season - Martinez will have a more developed strategy on how to take the club forward.

September 03, 2013, 07:03:15 PM
Reply #1581

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Two things and I'll be happy with the window:

1. Baines signs a new deal ASAP. It is not enough to be happy he is staying put without this, and if he wants to stay and we want him to stay then it should not be a problem. If the weeks drag on and nothing happens then I think there could be reason for concern as we've handed pretty much all control of the situation over to Baines or any club that wants to get him. I want to believe Baines is happy here, but I'd also like that in writing :)

2. We do see the left over money from the Fellaini deal reinvested next year or next window. We do use that money to acquire another striker if we can't presumably keep Lukaku, and we try to address the aging CB problem.

September 03, 2013, 07:06:00 PM
Reply #1582

Macca77

Two things and I'll be happy with the window:

1. Baines signs a new deal ASAP. It is not enough to be happy he is staying put without this, and if he wants to stay and we want him to stay then it should not be a problem. If the weeks drag on and nothing happens then I think there could be reason for concern as we've handed pretty much all control of the situation over to Baines or any club that wants to get him. I want to believe Baines is happy here, but I'd also like that in writing :)

Martinez said the first thing he wanted to do when the window shut was get new contracts sorted

September 03, 2013, 07:51:43 PM
Reply #1583

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
New Everton signing Gareth Barry has been facing the media and says he feared his loan move from Manchester City would not happen as Monday's transfer deadline approached.

"When you get into that last hour and there are still a few snags between the two clubs you do fear the worst and start thinking you might be going into training with Manchester City tomorrow," said the 32-year-old midfielder, who will remain at Goodison Park until the end of the season.

"I am grateful it all went through. I was desperate in the end to join Everton - the chance to join this great club with its history and more chance to play regular football."

:snigger:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:52:27 PM by blueToffee »

September 04, 2013, 05:23:41 AM
Reply #1584

Bally

Administrator
no offence intended here Bally, but you have been a terrible poster lately.
No offence taken, , fella but may I ask what brought you to this
It's the roll I way