October 16, 2019, 06:47:29 AM

Author Topic: Summer 2015 Transfer Window rumour thread  (Read 607390 times)

August 10, 2015, 08:21:56 PM
Reply #45

Makis

Maybe I'm wearing blue-tinted glasses but realisticly, the only reason he'd choose Stoke over Everton would be for more money or something favourable regarding playing conditions i.e. guarenteed starting in his favoured position etc.

I don't think this heralds the demise of our ghreat club and it certainly doesn't mean Stoke are now 'bigger' than us.
If, as a player, you looked at how the two clubs have been doing in the summer, which would you say is going forwards and which backwards? Not to mention the fact they finished above us, and with quite a clear margin (seven points).

If you were a neutral what would make you think Everton is moving forward? Piss poor season, keeping your players considered a big win. In the meantime Stoke is rebuilding and signing some interesting players.

August 15, 2015, 03:06:24 AM
Reply #46

Makis

Neither name exactly gets the pulse racing.

August 17, 2015, 02:21:27 AM
Reply #47

Makis

Song: it would mean Barry getting less game time. I wouldn't mind that. Of course the real problem would be what shape the team would play but if 3.5 million is true it's cheap considering he's still only 27.

Probably bullshit, though.

August 26, 2015, 03:20:27 PM
Reply #48

Makis

My rational head is telling me that after selling our crown jewels in the past, we've always come out of it stronger and with a better squad. Stones is a great player but not always the difference between a win and loss for us and so should be replaceable.
We never really got over selling Arteta. The other problem is Martinez's transfer record so far is inferior to Moyes's.

August 26, 2015, 04:07:02 PM
Reply #49

Makis

Oh great. Not only are we selling Stones, people actually hope we spend the money on shite and crocks.

August 30, 2015, 10:50:59 PM
Reply #50

Makis

Our attacking play yesterday was so great we obviously don't need any creativity. A whole shot on goal, I think. That's enough to win matches.

August 31, 2015, 09:36:32 PM
Reply #51

Makis

I agreed to go away tomorrow without realising it clashed with deadline day - a 3 hour drive to the middle of Pembrokeshire and no phone reception or internet where we're staying.

Starting to look like the smartest move of the transfer window.
Lucky/clever of you. If I owned a remote island that's where I would spend tomorrow.

September 01, 2015, 01:45:19 PM
Reply #52

Makis

September 01, 2015, 03:33:23 PM
Reply #53

Makis

Got to love being an Everton fan sometimes, we having been going mental about signing people and not spending money but when we go and spaff 9.5m on a player. We all go pie-eyed and saying that is a bit steep.
So you would have been even happier if the club had paid 20 million for him?

September 01, 2015, 03:53:24 PM
Reply #54

Makis

None of us have seem him play so he could be the best CB the world has ever seen, no point judging his price until he gets a few games is there.
He has one cap to his name. Which means there are probably at least a few Argy CB's who are considered better (Rojo, Garay, Otamendi and Demichelis have played most games for them).

The problem is he comes from a weaker league and a different footballing culture. And the only comments I have seen have not been complimentary. So it's a big risk no matter how you look at it.

September 01, 2015, 08:23:21 PM
Reply #55

Makis

Lamela has a lot of potential. He was great at Roma when he was just 20. Then he moved to the disaster that was Villas Boas's Spurs, trying to replace Bale.

September 02, 2015, 03:31:01 AM
Reply #56

Makis

I wouldn't get too worked up on the failure to get a 'No 10' right now.
We created two chances against Spurs, one from a mistake from their defender, one a cross from Oviedo. You don't think we need more creativity because that was hardly the only game in the last year when we were completely toothless?

I am willing to wait until January or next summer for that particular 'No 10' to join us.
Keep telling that to yourself. We don't do big deals in January and that 20 million will have disappeared by next summer.

September 02, 2015, 02:50:26 PM
Reply #57

Makis

We brought in the cover we needed at CB in Mori. We brought in creativity and pace with Deulofelu and Lennon. We brought in drive, some creativity and adaptability to cover a few positions in Cleverly. We've brought in two prospects in the striker department in Henen and Rodriguez, one whom is first team ready by all accounts. And we brought in a bright prospect CB in Holgate, who already made it onto the bench. We lost 2 players, both of who weren't good enough for our level - as shown last year in Distin and Alcaraz. And most importantly we have kept hold of the best young defender in British (and I dare say European football) in Stones.

No matter how you look at this summer transfer window we've come out stronger than we went in. 
Bollocks. Total bollocks.

Let's start with the obvious one. Which of Henen and Rodriguez do you refer to as "first-team ready"? I can't figure it out. The one who didn't exactly pull up trees last season in the youth squad or the one coming from a poor league with a record of 19 goals in some 80 games? What makes these guys better than, say, McAleny?

The team has struggled to create chances for a year now. Against Spurs they managed to create two, one from a mistake from the defense. They were also totally toothless against City. Deulofeu and Lennon might help if Martinez changes his playing philosophy completely but they are not much help if we insist passing the opponents to sleep.

Mori is a complete mystery. He comes from a much weaker league. If he isn't up to scratch our next choice is Browning. Nice lad but can you imagine playing the Premier League with Stones and Browning as the centre-back pairing?

There's still only one RB of PL quality in the squad. Barry will still play too many games (as he did by his own admission last season). Pienaar has been out injured most of last two seasons and hasn't been replaced. Osman is struggling to be fit, too. In the real world our striking options didn't improve one iota. It's Lukaku, then Kone, then Naismith. We still don't have a creative AMC.

Why would a superstar come here? Why would good players go to Swansea, West Ham, Stoke, Southampton, Newcastle, Sunderland? They managed to sign players like Ayew, Shaqiri, Payet, Wijnaldum, Lens and Clasie. Yeah, those teams are probably more attractive than poor old Everton these days. We need to compete with the like of Bournemouth and Watford these days.