April 20, 2019, 09:13:40 AM

Author Topic: DCL - kidding ourselves  (Read 37729 times)

October 03, 2018, 08:46:49 AM
Reply #645

cantoffee

I'm guessing no tv coverage helped anyone who played poorly today fly under the radar a little more.

However, that is also a bit of a whataboutism, it doesn't really help DCL's cause any. To lean on a Brewster's millions quote, perhaps it's just the case that "none of the aboveĒ is going to be the answer in terms of our strikers.
None of the above is probably the answer but then why not play the player that has the highest chance of improving?

At least develop an asset further even if it just means selling them later at a higher price.

October 03, 2018, 12:58:05 PM
Reply #646

KoemansNumberTens

None of the above is probably the answer but then why not play the player that has the highest chance of improving?

At least develop an asset further even if it just means selling them later at a higher price.

Because he's a lesser player by a considerable distance. Most of our players aren't the answer to our top 4 ambitions. Doesn't mean we should play the under 16s though

October 03, 2018, 01:43:49 PM
Reply #647

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Because he's a lesser player by a considerable distance. Most of our players aren't the answer to our top 4 ambitions. Doesn't mean we should play the under 16s though

He really is not though.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 03, 2018, 02:45:27 PM
Reply #648

KoemansNumberTens

He really is not though.

We are talking about a full international who's scored goals in the champions league vs a lad who tries hard. There's a massive difference imo

October 03, 2018, 04:18:28 PM
Reply #649

Lxxx

We are talking about a full international who's scored goals in the champions league vs a lad who tries hard. There's a massive difference imo

On the evidence of what they have both shown whilst at the club there's not a great deal between them. I'd say Tosun might just shade it but we're splitting hairs.

October 03, 2018, 04:56:49 PM
Reply #650

Martip

Its dawned on me that there is no point in us going back and forth about which is better and why as neither are good enough/ what we need.

October 03, 2018, 05:23:03 PM
Reply #651

Tony Clifton

Starts at Leicester for me, Hornby on the bench.

October 03, 2018, 06:55:23 PM
Reply #652

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
The argument for starting DCL is basically:

(1) the team performs about the same with him in the lineup instead of Tosun or Niasse
(2) he's the most likely to improve in a meaningful way

Unless Silva wants to try Richarlison or Sigurdsson or call up Hornby, I think he's the choice. We're basically playing for the future, anyhow.

Too soon to write off Tosun, no?

15 years ago youíd give a foreign player a good year to adjust to the Premier League.

These days impact is expected immediately.

When you consider Tosun came from the Turkish league and hasnít always been a regular for us since he joined, i do hold out *some* hope that we may see him demonstrate significant improvement over the season.

Not saying I think itís likely, just that not a foregone conclusion that DCL is the most likely to improve.

October 03, 2018, 07:13:55 PM
Reply #653

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

15 years ago youíd give a foreign player a good year to adjust to the Premier League.

When you consider Tosun came from the Turkish league and hasnít always been a regular for us since he joined, i do hold out *some* hope that we may see him demonstrate significant improvement over the season.

Not saying I think itís likely, just that not a foregone conclusion that DCL is the most likely to improve.

Also if the midfield provision improves across Iíve more faith in Tosun scoring of chances arrive.

DCL will still get plenty of time on the pitch anyway.

October 03, 2018, 08:18:27 PM
Reply #654

Waltzer

Actually think there are lots of similarities in this to DCLs current situation

Anichebe has now revealed his opportunities in the first team denied him any loan moves at a time he feels one would have been massively helpful to him.

The former Nigerian international told the club's official programme: "Yes, I really do wish that I would have had the chance to go out on loan and experience different things. Loan spells help youngsters and it would have definitely helped me but at the time I was needed here.

"I see some players who have done it and been able to have that experience and make their mistakes at smaller clubs.

"It would have been good to learn my craft under the radar because you don't really realise how big it is to play in the Premier League for a club like Everton.

"It can be a difficult place to come through because the fans do expect a lot of you. But that's because they love their football here and when they think that you can do better they will let you know straight away."

October 03, 2018, 09:06:17 PM
Reply #655

Evertonian in NC

The argument for starting DCL is basically:

(1) the team performs about the same with him in the lineup instead of Tosun or Niasse
(2) he's the most likely to improve in a meaningful way

Unless Silva wants to try Richarlison or Sigurdsson or call up Hornby, I think he's the choice. We're basically playing for the future, anyhow.

I agree with this 100%.  Please don't let this reflect poorly on kramer.  :D
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 03, 2018, 10:00:08 PM
Reply #656

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Not for me, heís played his last card with old brap iím afraid.

Heís crap and I wonít be convinced otherwise.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 03, 2018, 10:09:17 PM
Reply #657

kramer0

Of course it's not a foregone conclusion. It's certainly possible for Tosun to adapt and improve.

The way I see it is Tosun is at an age where players don't tend to change much and his best performances were in a league where past-it 30+ year olds regularly top the scoring charts. Even if he adapts, I'm not bullish on his upside.

October 03, 2018, 10:38:54 PM
Reply #658

Hawkandro

Wish Vlasic would have gotten the chances DCL has had.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

October 03, 2018, 10:42:32 PM
Reply #659

KoemansNumberTens

Of course it's not a foregone conclusion. It's certainly possible for Tosun to adapt and improve.

The way I see it is Tosun is at an age where players don't tend to change much and his best performances were in a league where past-it 30+ year olds regularly top the scoring charts. Even if he adapts, I'm not bullish on his upside.

He did okay in the champions league too. DCL best performances are when? I genuinely can't recall a single game where he's been really good. Maybe against a lower league side in the cup.