November 23, 2017, 03:33:33 PM

Author Topic: "Too Good To Go Down"  (Read 11409 times)

February 14, 2011, 05:30:34 PM
Read 11409 times

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

Sunderland (H) - Challenging for Europe and looking good for getting it.
Newcastle (A) - Playing fairly well.
Birmingham (H) - Seem to have turned a corner recently.
Fulham (H) - Same as above
Aston Villa (H) - Fellow strugglers, important game, probably will depend on who wants it more.
Wolves (A) - Looking very good at home, if they can beat United they can sure as hell beat us.
Blackburn (H) - Mid-table team, probably one of our easier remaining games, if we can't win that we're in serious trouble.
Man United (A) - Speaks for itself.
Wigan (A) - In real danger, they'll be desperate for it.
Man City (H) - If they're still going for the title at this point they'll hit us with everything.
West Brom (A) - Relegation battle could go down to final couple of weeks. Hodgson will improve them.
Chelsea (H) - Could still be fighting for 4th.

Watching the way we've played in the last few games, conceding silly goals to the likes of Blackpool and Bolton and not really threatening the other end, I honestly can't see where our next win is coming from.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

deCoubertin

February 14, 2011, 05:34:08 PM
Reply #1

toffee_scot

If we can get 3 wins and a couple of draws then I think we will be ok.

February 14, 2011, 05:35:26 PM
Reply #2

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
If we can get 3 wins and a couple of draws then I think we will be ok.

And what 3 teams are we beating?
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

February 14, 2011, 05:41:52 PM
Reply #3

toffee_scot

I said 'if' we can get 3 wins. Looking at the fixtures and looking back at our form this season, it is so difficult to predict which games will see us get a result.

February 14, 2011, 05:44:56 PM
Reply #4

montanatoffeefan

We've come to rate many of our players over the years based on how good they look when the whole team is playing hard and together. When they're not, the individuals can look very much relegation caliber. And we only occasionally play hard or together as a team anymore.

We need a good run of that soon or we will likely remain in this perilous position into the last month of the season.
Everton forever.

February 14, 2011, 05:48:37 PM
Reply #5

ToffeeBlue83

It reminds me so much of the 2001/02 season, when the cup provided a distraction from a slide in league form. After the 3-0 loss to Boro that saw Smith sacked I struggled to see where we were going to get the wins from.

It is the same now, when we lose to Chelsea on Sat (it's going to happen!) it will be only safety to play for. But while it is easy to say 'oh we only need a few wins' we have been saying that all season yet we have only won six times.

Moyes' quote yesterday that he is confident with the players he has will get him out of trouble is just the sort of thing a side says when they think they are too good to go down.

Boro in 1996, West Ham in 2003 and Newcastle in 2009 all thought they were too good to go down and look what happened to them.

The players need to f**king wake up, pull their fingers out and relaise the trouble we are in. Otherwise we are sleep walking towards the bottom three.
Royal Blue Mersey - the web's newest Everton blog

February 14, 2011, 05:48:59 PM
Reply #6

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
There's 3 months of the season left, we've won an average of a game a month, so we should clear the 40 points mark with a few draws and the remaining 3 wins.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

February 14, 2011, 05:50:06 PM
Reply #7

Gash

Global Moderator
On paper we are to good to go down. On our form this season, we aren't to good to go down.

I don't think it will happen to be honest, but we really need to start pulling away from the bottom or it could get nervy.

February 14, 2011, 05:50:49 PM
Reply #8

montanatoffeefan

Knowing us, probably Man City, ManU and Chelsea. With offsetting losses to the W clubs.
Everton forever.

February 14, 2011, 05:52:33 PM
Reply #9

Derek

on 30 points with 36 available

we can stay up with 38 points this season

relegation doesn't worry me this year, it's how far we have slipped in the last two seasons since the FA Cup Final that bothers me

Agreed.

I know Moyes has argued that it's the players on the pitch that are the problem, and they should be doing much better (which we all agree to be a truism, I think), but there has to be something going on that's preventing us from playing as we're certainly capable of.

A bad streak happens to all teams, regardless of quality, but it seems we consistently under perform, and I wish I could fully understand the reasons. Is it Moyes approach? Is it how we train? Is it the players themselves? How much are they affected by players going but none coming in? How many of them see their future at Everton in the longer term and want to fight for us?

Moyes seems at a loss to remedy it and I suspect it's because he can't put his finger on what it is himself.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

February 14, 2011, 05:59:58 PM
Reply #10

nomorechang

RIP
After our last 2 disaster results this season IMO v Newcasle .. we won 3 and drew 2 of our next 5 league games including winning the derby
and after WBA beat us 4-1 , we lost only one of our next 6 games ut we beat Man Cit and Spurs and drew with Chelsea at the bridge

We seem to bounce back after a really bad game
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

February 14, 2011, 06:06:05 PM
Reply #11

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I'm more worried about next year myself.

February 14, 2011, 06:15:51 PM
Reply #12

charlatan

Don't wanna be in a scrap.  Don't think many of our players have the mentality for a fight, as witnessed yesterday

February 14, 2011, 06:19:39 PM
Reply #13

Connavar

No one is too good to go down and we seem to be leaking goals like there is no tomorrow. A major over haul of defence is needed next season as much as two decent strikers that will score 20 between them. We used to pride ourselves in being a team that is tough to beat and not conceding many, I can't remember our last clean sheet. Even Scunthorpe managed to score past us!

February 14, 2011, 06:23:26 PM
Reply #14

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
No one is too good to go down and we seem to be leaking goals like there is no tomorrow. A major over haul of defence is needed next season as much as two decent strikers that will score 20 between them. We used to pride ourselves in being a team that is tough to beat and not conceding many, I can't remember our last clean sheet. Even Scunthorpe managed to score past us!

Wigan at home, December 11th