November 23, 2017, 12:45:20 AM

Author Topic: 23 Attempts 12 Corners  (Read 3838 times)

May 14, 2011, 10:27:15 PM
Read 3838 times

jongre123

... and still somehow people are complaining we didn't play well. I don't think we played as badly as some thought but I think the real problem today was the lack of clinical finishing.

deCoubertin

May 14, 2011, 10:33:19 PM
Reply #1

American Evertonian

The lack of finishing is probably due to the lineup he initially put out there. I think someone made the count of 6 defenders, 3 mids, and 1 "striker"

Edit: And obviously 1 goalie.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

May 14, 2011, 10:34:58 PM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
7 defenders were starting:

Hibbert, Jags, Distin, Baines, Coleman, Neville and Heitinga. Plus a striker who can't score.

Oh well, I'm off to Disney in the morning, leaving all my worries behind for a week :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:42:22 PM by blargins »
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

May 14, 2011, 11:58:38 PM
Reply #3

Bacarelle

Whatever the team that was put out, with all those chances is it unreasoable to expect that a Premier League player would be unable to hit the target no matter what their 'nominal' position ?

True, the team was more defensive than some would have liked, but they still created the chances that should have been converted !
The elephant is a pretty bird
It flits from bough to bough
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
And whistles like a cow

May 14, 2011, 11:59:44 PM
Reply #4

Shogun

Administrator
on skysports i saw 13 shots , 11 off target
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

May 15, 2011, 12:11:24 AM
Reply #5

Tony hibberts right foot

skysports score center has it down as 14 shots, two were on target, think thats where your problem is.

May 15, 2011, 12:44:04 AM
Reply #6

DIXIEDEAN

we actually had much more chances with the so called defensive line up than we did when he brought beckford and billy on so it cant be that, the midfield actaully played well,we just lacked abit of luck in front of goal  and anichebe cant hit a barn door atm but atleast he had a shot at goal so there was an improvement lol
we need a good striker and winger and get felli back in the team and all will be good oh and btw distin was horrific today

May 15, 2011, 12:47:26 AM
Reply #7

everton.chris

... and still somehow people are complaining we didn't play well. I don't think we played as badly as some thought but I think the real problem today was the lack of clinical finishing.
Exactly...23 attempts...12 corners...((((ZERO)))) goals... It is goals that win games
People who know it all are especially annoying to those of us who don't

May 15, 2011, 12:49:14 AM
Reply #8

dunkster

you can have 90% possesion and 300 shots but if you cant fucking score there is a problem. and by the way - its been the problem all season.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

May 15, 2011, 02:12:04 AM
Reply #9

JoeHart

only 1 stat matters and thats goals.
Another reason why moyes change to a high possession tactic in non-goalscoring parts of the pitch is useless.
He is a gem that david moyes, tactical genius.
Everton forever

May 15, 2011, 02:44:34 AM
Reply #10

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
we actually had much more chances with the so called defensive line up than we did when he brought beckford and billy on so it cant be that, the midfield actaully played well,we just lacked abit of luck in front of goal  and anichebe cant hit a barn door atm but atleast he had a shot at goal so there was an improvement lol
we need a good striker and winger and get felli back in the team and all will be good oh and btw distin was horrific today
I can recall only one clear cut chance in the whole match we made despite all these chances. The majority were half chances.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

May 15, 2011, 02:50:21 AM
Reply #11

evertonjoe

I can recall only one clear cut chance in the whole match we made despite all these chances. The majority were half chances.

Really? We had about 4 or 5 headers where our players were unmarked.

R.A.P Music

May 15, 2011, 02:52:37 AM
Reply #12

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I may have been away when those happened then. I was doing other stuff while the match was on. But it only highlights how having 7 defenders on the pitch aren't going to score many goals.
- Walt Disney

May 15, 2011, 03:24:49 AM
Reply #13

Hannibal Lecter

Remember what people said when Mr Smith had 7 defenders starting in one game?

Mr Moyes has know done that twice... In a row!
Jönköpings Södra IF

May 15, 2011, 04:44:11 AM
Reply #14

Les Trebilcock

The title (this thread) is a statistic - I, for the life of me, still can't figure out how good or how bad David Moyes really is.

I want to use Stoke City as an example.

Tony Pulis, today, did what David Moyes has done (a losing FA Cup Final manager). I ask myself are we now on a par with Stoke City (Stoke now in the Europa League). As it stands, Stoke could finish 1 point ahead of us (in the final league standing).
 Now for me, Stoke's ale-house style of play is ugly - yet there are times with Pennant, and Etherington, bombing down the wings, they (Stoke) can look somewhat attractive - these two players (mentioned) don't play out of position, I class them as wingers. We, on the other hand, will adopt a set-up using midfield wide players who, really, are not attacking wide players in the traditional way of thinking.
 Subsequently, using Bily in this manner doesn't work because, let's be honest, he hasn't got it. Seamus (as has already been pointed out) seems to be our only player who can play like a winger, but really he's a defender by trade - square peg, round hole.

Using that thought process, Stoke & Everton look pretty similar, but are they.

At this juncture,
 Everton have had a positive result (wins & draws) 27 times. Stoke, 20 times.
 We have lost 10 games. Stoke, 16 losses.

David Moyes has said (very recently), "In November or December I would have looked at seventh place as like winning the Champions League for me,"

I understand what he has said but, as well as statistics being strange beasts to assess, so is perspective(s). Was it not considered before the start of this season that a lot of Everton supporters had the upbeat thought that the then fully fit squad, to be one of the best assembled at Everton for a number of years. As it has transpired many blues have actively stated in here (today), paraphrazing - oh hey, this season can't now end quick enough for me.

So, we already now know that this summer it looks like - okay, scrub the season just gone (this one) again, let's begin again in season 2011/12.
 Stoke, on the other hand, have a fresh new venture to contend with, with a fresh impetus. How far will Stoke go. Can they handle an added competition - I don't know but it will interesting to see.

I see us, yet again, in a sticky quagmire with no positive direction of how to kick-on. We know we won't buy big to get Evertonian's juices flowing and, I see our 2011/12 squad not to dissimilar to the one we already possess. A squad that patently is just better than average.

All-in all, statistics (for me) are so questionable. Perspective, however, is the faculty of seeing all the relevant data in a meaningful relationship or manner.

In conclusion, all football teams end a season with a certain attitude, negativity or positivity. The signal(s) or attitude David Moyes conveyed after today's defeat (no matter what he thought of some refereeing decisions), for me, are worrying and surely, counter productive.

To finish 7th, let's be honest, means absolutely nothing and the outlook, despite statistics, does not look like heaven to me.

You can take that to the bank.