November 19, 2017, 09:12:22 AM

Author Topic: 23 Attempts 12 Corners  (Read 3830 times)

May 15, 2011, 04:47:51 AM
Reply #15

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

The title (this thread) is a statistic - I, for the life of me, still can't figure out how good or how bad David Moyes really is.

I want to use Stoke City as an example.

Tony Pulis, today, did what David Moyes has done (a losing FA Cup Final manager). I ask myself are we now on a par with Stoke City (Stoke now in the Europa League). As it stands, Stoke could finish 1 point ahead of us (in the final league standing).
 Now for me, Stoke's ale-house style of play is ugly - yet there are times with Pennant, and Etherington, bombing down the wings, they (Stoke) can look somewhat attractive - these two players (mentioned) don't play out of position, I class them as wingers. We, on the other hand, will adopt a set-up using midfield wide players who, really, are not attacking wide players in the traditional way of thinking.
 Subsequently, using Bily in this manner doesn't work because, let's be honest, he hasn't got it. Seamus (as has already been pointed out) seems to be our only player who can play like a winger, but really he's a defender by trade - square peg, round hole.

Using that thought process, Stoke & Everton look pretty similar, but are they.

At this juncture,
 Everton have had a positive result (wins & draws) 27 times. Stoke, 20 times.
 We have lost 10 games. Stoke, 16 losses.

David Moyes has said (very recently), "In November or December I would have looked at seventh place as like winning the Champions League for me,"

I understand what he has said but, as well as statistics being strange beasts to assess, so is perspective(s). Was it not considered before the start of this season that a lot of Everton supporters had the upbeat thought that the then fully fit squad, to be one of the best assembled at Everton for a number of years. As it has transpired many blues have actively stated in here (today), paraphrazing - oh hey, this season can't now end quick enough for me.

So, we already now know that this summer it looks like - okay, scrub the season just gone (this one) again, let's begin again in season 2011/12.
 Stoke, on the other hand, have a fresh new venture to contend with, with a fresh impetus. How far will Stoke go. Can they handle an added competition - I don't know but it will interesting to see.

I see us, yet again, in a sticky quagmire with no positive direction of how to kick-on. We know we won't buy big to get Evertonian's juices flowing and, I see our 2011/12 squad not to dissimilar to the one we already possess. A squad that patently is just better than average.

All-in all, statistics (for me) are so questionable. Perspective, however, is the faculty of seeing all the relevant data in a meaningful relationship or manner.

In conclusion, all football teams end a season with a certain attitude, negativity or positivity. The signal(s) or attitude David Moyes conveyed after today's defeat (no matter what he thought of some refereeing decisions), for me, are worrying and surely, counter productive.

To finish 7th, let's be honest, means absolutely nothing and the outlook, despite statistics, does not look like heaven to me.

Great post and I agree entirely.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

deCoubertin

May 15, 2011, 06:33:12 PM
Reply #16

Connavar

Goals win games, and other than Anichebe's effort on goal, I can't remember Foster being called into action a hell of a lot. It doesn't matter how you perform on the pitch, how much possesion you have, how many shots on or off target, at the end of the day, all that matters is the 3points. But the fact of the matter remains, it's been too often that teams like West Brom have been able to take points off us this season. They've taken six off us, and that for a team that was struggling severely until recently is not good enough.

May 15, 2011, 07:32:27 PM
Reply #17

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Goals win games, and other than Anichebe's effort on goal, I can't remember Foster Carson being called into action a hell of a lot. It doesn't matter how you perform on the pitch, how much possesion you have, how many shots on or off target, at the end of the day, all that matters is the 3points. But the fact of the matter remains, it's been too often that teams like West Brom have been able to take points off us this season. They've taken six off us, and that for a team that was struggling severely until recently is not good enough.

;)
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."