December 18, 2017, 10:40:04 PM

Author Topic: A Posh Striker.  (Read 8019 times)

May 30, 2011, 08:19:41 PM
Read 8019 times

Les Trebilcock

I watched the Huddersfield v Peterborough play-off Final yesterday, primarily doing a scouting job for David Moyes, and I know we're talking about a lower, lower league than ourselves, but Posh's prolific striker Craig Anthony Robert Mackail-Smith, age 27, and winner of League One Player of the Year for the 2010-11 season, with 30 goals in 47 league apps., this season - caught my eye.

He reminds me of a 'beefy' Diego Forlan, a workaholic, with (obviously) a definate hunger to score goals.

He's one of those 'late bloomer' footballer's and I'm reading (link), Posh expect the Scotland international to leave London Road before the start of next season and will not stand in the 27-year-old's way of joining a bigger club - three clubs supposedly interested are Everton, Norwich and QPR. With Mackail-Smith saying, "I'd love to be in the Premier League next season, that would be a dream come true."

I would seriously consider this lad as our new number nine.

Some blues might say, sheesh, is this the depths we have to go - I'd answer, you do the maths.

http://www.teamtalk.com/everton/6959511/Posh-striker-eyes-top-flight

You can take that to the bank.

deCoubertin

May 30, 2011, 11:25:43 PM
Reply #1

toffee_scot

Oh dear.

I know that we are unable to compete to compete for decent Premier League quality players but the kind of players we've been linked to already leaves me feeling very depressed.

May 30, 2011, 11:37:57 PM
Reply #2

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
He reminds you of Diego Forlan because he looks like him  lolol

Nowhere near good enough for the Premier League full stop.

May 31, 2011, 12:18:05 AM
Reply #3

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
A shit thread.

May 31, 2011, 12:21:09 AM
Reply #4

AllyBlue14

I disagree, I think he looks a good player - he seems to have scored goals both in League 1 and the Championship and formed a great partnership with Mclean and Boyd.

Obviously he'd be a risk and assuming we got him it'd be a signing in the Beckford mould (not one to get massively excited about but a rough diamond and an option from the bench). But one thing he has proven is that he will score goals.

I'd prefer us to be looking at a better calibre of players too but I think it would be churlish of us to write some of these players off so quickly.

May 31, 2011, 02:17:49 AM
Reply #5

Stumpy

Iv'e got to agree, i was impressed with his performance yesterday.However it's one thing doing it in league one and another doing it in the premier.Also he's 27,so why hasn't anybody picked him up before now.Bloody hell it's depressing being linked with players like him.

May 31, 2011, 02:36:17 AM
Reply #6

Les Trebilcock

No Risk', he has a gait like Forlan and a penalty-box appetite.

A shit thread? You may be correct, Ram. What I do know is, David Moyes would be far better off bringing in a lower league striker costing hardly anything, rather than a striker who's price might be all of David Moyes' summer transfer money - say a whopping 6m

So, seeing as, a) we're perennially skint, and b) Moyes' achilles heel is, generally speaking, crap in the centre-forward department - I think a thread of this nature is justified.

You can take that to the bank.

May 31, 2011, 04:49:33 AM
Reply #7

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I actually wanted start a thread about trying to get Forlan as he would make us a top 4 team no doubt about it
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

May 31, 2011, 05:03:35 AM
Reply #8

sukulpat

He would be improved as a good asset to us, and we shall have the best chance to grab this guy (Craig Anthony Robert Mackail-Smith: CARMS).

May 31, 2011, 04:58:18 PM
Reply #9

di_guyo

what's with the full name?
average player in a poor league. when they were in the championship he was nothing worth noting. posh have jsut thrown the kitchen sink at a lot of teams in elague 1, that's why he scores so many...it's nit that he's a particularly good finisher or anything. i wouldn't say he was anywhere near as good as beckford even.
Everton & Atleti

May 31, 2011, 07:44:18 PM
Reply #10

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Peterbrough have said 2 PL clubs have made offers for him...
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

May 31, 2011, 08:04:02 PM
Reply #11

nomorechang

RIP
He's playing at the same level as Becks was before we got him so obviously he's not going to be able to walk into our team seamlessly . However Beckford cost nothing , Posh aren't going to give their star striker away and as sad as it may seem we're going to get hammered in an auction against anyone who wants him . Bothroyd is a better option IMO .... I'd much rather have Klose though
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

May 31, 2011, 08:12:34 PM
Reply #12

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
He's playing at the same level as Becks was before we got him so obviously he's not going to be able to walk into our team seamlessly . However Beckford cost nothing , Posh aren't going to give their star striker away and as sad as it may seem we're going to get hammered in an auction against anyone who wants him . Bothroyd is a better option IMO .... I'd much rather have Klose though

He's out of contract, I'm pretty sure..
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

May 31, 2011, 08:25:29 PM
Reply #13

JoeHart

he cant be any worse than beckford, give him a try
Everton forever

May 31, 2011, 08:51:52 PM
Reply #14

nomorechang

RIP
He's out of contract, I'm pretty sure..

He's got 1 year left but wants to leave now , They wanted £3m off Norwich in March , I'd guess it's going to be more now
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "