November 23, 2017, 07:21:18 PM

Author Topic: 2 up front?  (Read 2810 times)

August 11, 2011, 03:45:27 AM
Reply #15

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Shows how desperate we are for a striker doesn't it?

Oh well maybe next summer then, and then we'll have several more positions to find replacements for because Neville and Distin will be too old.

Do you think yak will play many games?

Simply simply lovely

deCoubertin

August 11, 2011, 03:46:21 AM
Reply #16

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Do you think yak will play many games?

I don't think he'll be given a chance to be honest.

Besides, he'll leave on a free transfer next summer.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

August 11, 2011, 03:50:16 AM
Reply #17

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think he'll be given a chance to be honest.

Besides, he'll leave on a free transfer next summer.

Someones gotta play and we think between us saha and cahill wont be fit

Simply simply lovely

August 11, 2011, 03:52:15 AM
Reply #18

toffee_scot

Have we got any wide men to play 4 4 2.

We haven't had any wide men since van der Meyde made very very rare appearances for Everton.

August 11, 2011, 04:38:59 AM
Reply #19

CarlosAlberto

I know it was only against DC United, and I don't think it was their starting XI, but we looked a lot better playing 4-4-2 than we do playing the usual 4-5-1. How Moyes can call himself a manager and not notice this is beyond me.

I've not been this underwhelmed going into a season in quite a few years.

August 11, 2011, 04:39:46 AM
Reply #20

CarlosAlberto

Someones gotta play and we think between us saha and cahill wont be fit

He'll play Fellaini, Osman or Rodwell in Cahill's position before bringing in Yak.

August 11, 2011, 08:59:13 AM
Reply #21

Optimistic Blue

lets not forget though fatties, the best "strike partnership" last season was osman and beckford in the latter stages

i think we should stick with that for now
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

August 11, 2011, 12:52:31 PM
Reply #22

Sprooly

The english seem to be in love with 4-4-2, except when its the national team

so many fans from all the clubs seem to say "we need to play four four two"

August 11, 2011, 12:55:44 PM
Reply #23

christiffa25

Iv said many times we need to play 4-4-2 more this season Louis drops off anyway and beckford stays up top on last man.. Works well, kinda like Rooney and Chico partnership. Cahill's role needs to change this year, i love the guy but he shouldnt be starting every week. I will say however we cannot play 4-4-2 everyweek it should be used at times yes Wigan, wolves, qpr ect but the 4-5-1 is still a very effective formation against the top sides specially away from home. If Cahill is not playing we have leaned more towards a 4-2-3-1 formation which I do like very much! Cahill causes some major problems really in formations as good as he is at what he does, I think the team are more often than not worse off!

Do we have players available at the mo to field a 4-4-2 ??
With no wingers I don't think we do.

August 11, 2011, 01:49:07 PM
Reply #24

JoeHart

why would moyes break a 9 year habit and go 4-4-2?

He only goes attacking when
- we are behind after 70mins
- hitting it long to cahill isnt working
- and he doesnt have a defender to put on instead

he is a negative managers in his set up and philosophy.
So are plenty of others such as martinez, mcleish, mancini but as their club fans will tell you, their football is boring.

Its one of many reasons why he will never be good enough for the united job. 
Everton forever

August 11, 2011, 01:57:11 PM
Reply #25

montanatoffeefan

How often do we have two fit, capable strikers? Plus at least one more on the bench to back them up?

And how many top teams play 4-5-1 now? It's not just some diabolical Moyes' plot. Pretty standard stuff any more, and for good reason.
Everton forever.

August 11, 2011, 02:10:57 PM
Reply #26

blue slug

Man utd nearly always play 4-4-2 and they seem to do well with it dont they, but then they have wingers like nani, young and valencia who are all top class. I dont think they have great centre mids to be honest but they tend to break up play and get ball out wide. I believe we have the centre mids for a 4-4-2 in fellaini, arteta and rodwell but for us to play a 4-4-2 we would in my opinion need to good wingers and a quality forward which with our finances aint going to happen. Another year of 4-5-1 it is then

August 11, 2011, 02:30:18 PM
Reply #27

montanatoffeefan

We just don't have the personnel for it -- not the wingers (not even close), not the centre mids (Fell, not to mention Rodwell, are too positionally naive and Arteta's attacking suffers horribly when he's trying to help cover for one of them), and definitely not the strikers (you do need two, good healthy ones with a lot of games together or at least experience playing 2 upfront, and too often, we don't even have one).

And our defence ain't exactly the solid rock bastard it once was. And even then, it usually had a dedicated DM protecting it.

I'm all for changing up the formation to freshen up our attack and keep opponents guessing. But for us to consistently play the 4-4-2 would probably be disastrous.   
Everton forever.