November 22, 2017, 05:21:15 PM

Author Topic: 'There's no Excitement in Supporting Everton Anymore'...  (Read 2944 times)

October 29, 2011, 10:18:45 PM
Reply #15

GrantyBoy78

I'm just disheartened with football in general. Praying we'll get bought out by someone who'll buy us success isn't what football should be about.

deCoubertin

October 29, 2011, 10:27:29 PM
Reply #16

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I'm just disheartened with football in general. Praying we'll get bought out by someone who'll buy us success isn't what football should be about.

Nailed it.

October 30, 2011, 12:33:02 AM
Reply #17

NSM

Sums it up really, when you see money getting spent left right and centre for success at a club you kind of throw your hands up an go "oh well", it is ver disheartening at the minute, i'm not after daddy warbucks to come in an buy us messi. Just investment that lets us spend adequately and keep hold of players that we would rather not lose. At the minute (as somebody else said) I find it hard to get too excited about the likes of Barkley as the inevitable is that he will probably be bought by a financially more sound team that can give him CL and the stage a talent like that needs *Sigh*

October 30, 2011, 01:32:51 AM
Reply #18

charlatan

Spot on.  Can hardly be arsed watching football any more, watching multi millionaires, going thru the motions and going down like a $10 whore when the wind blows near them is mind numbing.

October 30, 2011, 01:45:36 AM
Reply #19

efcforlife

spot on

October 30, 2011, 02:04:45 AM
Reply #20

Blue Phoenix

True.

Unfortunately, it's what football has become though. And unlike in the past, the tales of the underdog club that has little money but is run well and managed great succeeding against all the odds are no longer being told. Even the Stokes of this world are spending a fortune to get beat in Cup Finals and enjoy European runs.

I'll take getting bought out and at least becoming competitive again. Money to get us into Europe again, to enjoy some great trips to far flung places and some great nights at Goodison again.

And the Everton of the 1960s, the Mersey Millionaires, was built on buying the best players. A little stroll around the Goodison timeline at the ground (along Gwladys Street), between the years of 1960 to mid-1970s, shows you how many times the club broke the British transfer fee paid record. The notion that 'becoming like Man City' would somehow destroy our heritage is basically not really knowing what our heritage actually is. Everton is all about the best - our motto, nothing but the best is good enough - that involves spending money to buy the best players. Something we haven't lived up to since 1988 when we last broke the British transfer record in buying Tony Cottee.

October 30, 2011, 02:16:06 AM
Reply #21

School of Science

True.

Unfortunately, it's what football has become though. And unlike in the past, the tales of the underdog club that has little money but is run well and managed great succeeding against all the odds are no longer being told. Even the Stokes of this world are spending a fortune to get beat in Cup Finals and enjoy European runs.

I'll take getting bought out and at least becoming competitive again. Money to get us into Europe again, to enjoy some great trips to far flung places and some great nights at Goodison again.

And the Everton of the 1960s, the Mersey Millionaires, was built on buying the best players. A little stroll around the Goodison timeline at the ground (along Gwladys Street), between the years of 1960 to mid-1970s, shows you how many times the club broke the British transfer fee paid record. The notion that 'becoming like Man City' would somehow destroy our heritage is basically not really knowing what our heritage actually is. Everton is all about the best - our motto, nothing but the best is good enough - that involves spending money to buy the best players. Something we haven't lived up to since 1988 when we last broke the British transfer record in buying Tony Cottee.

This people are too young or forget Everton bought success when we had the Moores millions behind us,though nowhere near to the extent of City an Chelsea,its frustrating knowing we were so close 3 years ago,but since then we have stagnated,even gone backwards.Something has to change,I sincerely hope these stories about new owners come true soon.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

October 30, 2011, 02:44:12 AM
Reply #22

Krissy

I don't care how we get success so long as we get some and soon.
It's not reality that you have to spend huge amounts to be successful but you do need to spend something and that's the problem, we don't have anything to spend right now.

October 30, 2011, 02:48:11 AM
Reply #23

Craig_1878

It's what happens when you become a selling club. I almost dread a decent youth player coming through. I try my hardest not to become too attached to them.

This
"Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"- Alan Partridge

October 30, 2011, 03:13:17 AM
Reply #24

Blue Phoenix

Barry Horne, long-time Kenwright defender, in today's Echo:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2011/10/29/barry-horne-i-m-starting-to-fear-for-our-long-term-future-100252-29681756/2/#sitelife-commentsWidget-bottom

For the first time really, I do feel concerned about the state of the club.

Whilst the comparisons between what Chelsea were able to do on Wednesday in between their two important league games and what Everton were able to do are obvious, they are also spurious because Everton are a long way from where Chelsea are.

A more relevant comparison in recent years might have been Spurs, but just look at how far behind them we have slipped.

Whilst I am not despairing for this season just yet, the slightly longer term future looks worrying.

And thatís the first time Iíve felt compelled to write like that . . .

Horne is an intelligent, degree-educated man. The Spurs comparison is interesting. Perhaps he read the Blue Union presentation/newsletter section in which the financial management of Everton and Spurs over the past 12 years is compared, after all.

http://peoplesgroup.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/the-blue-union-newsletter-01/

October 30, 2011, 04:18:38 AM
Reply #25

Sharky

Lack an attacking cutting edge? We shouldnt of fucking sold Mikel Arteta then. Yous were all overjoyed at getting £10million for him. Except now we have no midfield link and cant hold the ball up in their half.

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming.

October 30, 2011, 10:40:30 AM
Reply #26

Ridge

To be honest, if you can keep the Craig's off them,  the youth players have potential.

October 30, 2011, 11:48:49 AM
Reply #27

Jamokachi

Kenwright has fast become our Doug Ellis, hopefully a Randy Learner is just 'round the corner. We can't keep going as we have been the past three seasons, a breaking point isn't far off if we do.