November 18, 2017, 10:02:51 PM

Author Topic: 'Get in There'  (Read 2790 times)

November 09, 2011, 05:56:34 AM
Read 2790 times

nomorechang

RIP
I never thought I'd read a book that I'd rate better than Baz's ' Smell of Football ' so soon after reading it but  " Get in There " the life story of Everton Legend Tommy Lawton has managed to do that .
I knew a little bit about the great man because when he played for Everton he lived in a house in Edgemoor Drive , Fazakerley , opposite my dads sister and brother-in-law , well before I was born of course but I heard a few tales of him from my uncle who as an Evertonian himself was absolutely awestruck . This book though is well written and really touching , His story is something that if it was written as fiction you'd say it was too far-fetched , from his humble beginnings to the highs , the lows and his return to respectability .... A magnificent tale , written by his friend Barrie Williams and his son Tom Lawton Jnr . If this sort of book is your " cup of tea " then I can't recommend it highly enough.
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

deCoubertin

November 09, 2011, 11:10:20 AM
Reply #1

Aussievertonian

I never thought I'd read a book that I'd rate better than Baz's ' Smell of Football ' so soon after reading it but  " Get in There " the life story of Everton Legend Tommy Lawton has managed to do that .
I knew a little bit about the great man because when he played for Everton he lived in a house in Edgemoor Drive , Fazakerley , opposite my dads sister and brother-in-law , well before I was born of course but I heard a few tales of him from my uncle who as an Evertonian himself was absolutely awestruck . This book though is well written and really touching , His story is something that if it was written as fiction you'd say it was too far-fetched , from his humble beginnings to the highs , the lows and his return to respectability .... A magnificent tale , written by his friend Barrie Williams and his son Tom Lawton Jnr . If this sort of book is your " cup of tea " then I can't recommend it highly enough.

I have a question, I have only been to Liverpool once 2 years ago, but when I was there I found the suburb "Fazakerley" and it really wierded me out as my last name is "Fazakerley", spelt exactly the same.  I dont know any other Fazakerley's in Australia at all, Is it a common name in Liverpool?

November 09, 2011, 11:44:10 AM
Reply #2

nomorechang

RIP
This might interest you

http://www.fazackerley.co.uk/land_and_property.htm

Its not a ' common ' surname , offhand I can think of Derek Fazakerley , footballer who played nearly 600 games for Blackburn Rovers and when he retired was actually an England coach for a while under Kevin Keegan

Fazakerley does have a slight connection to Everton due to the original Fazakerley family connection to the Spellow family and Spellow house (Robert Fazakerley married Ellin De Walton in 1426)   which was demolished and the ' Spellow House Hotel ' rebuilt which of course still stands today a stones throw from Goodison Park .

On checking in 192.com there are 17 listed phone numbers of people with the surname ' Fazakerley ' in Liverpool and 131 people named but their numbers are not listed

I hope this helps  :thumbsup:
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

November 09, 2011, 06:49:33 PM
Reply #3

Krissy

Didn't Tommy Lawton partner Dixie towards the end of Dixie's career? What a partnership.. The great Everton no 9s and look what we have now...

November 09, 2011, 09:25:33 PM
Reply #4

nomorechang

RIP
Didn't Tommy Lawton partner Dixie towards the end of Dixie's career? What a partnership.. The great Everton no 9s and look what we have now...

Not for many games but Dixie tookit upon himself to become Tommy's mentor and spent hours with him showing him the ' tricks of the trade ', when a young Tommy scored a great goal against Spurs , Dixie turned to Joe Mercer and said " There's my future Joe , this is my swansong '' . He knew Tommy was bought to replace him and was such a generous man that he made sure Tommy was looked after , he improved his game to another level and never begrudged him taking his place when the injuries had finally started taking their toll . With Tommy at centre forward a young Everton team won the league in 1939 playing one touch football , the first advocates of this methods of playing the game .... And of course they were League Champions until 1947 because of World War 2 .... I'm sure everyone knows that Everton won the League in 1915 and also held it through World War 1 which means we have been League Champions for 20 years .... As yet unsurpassed  ;D
Alan Ball

November 09, 2011, 09:40:30 PM
Reply #5

Connavar

NMC, i think Si should create a section on NSNO for you to review all the Everton based books you've read.

November 09, 2011, 09:44:30 PM
Reply #6

nomorechang

RIP
NMC, i think Si should create a section on NSNO for you to review all the Everton based books you've read.

take me ages mate , I've got over 30 ..... (including Si's and Joe Jenning's)  ;)
Alan Ball

November 09, 2011, 09:45:57 PM
Reply #7

Connavar

You have to begin somewhere! :)

November 09, 2011, 09:47:35 PM
Reply #8

Krissy

Not for many games but Dixie tookit upon himself to become Tommy's mentor and spent hours with him showing him the ' tricks of the trade ', when a young Tommy scored a great goal against Spurs , Dixie turned to Joe Mercer and said " There's my future Joe , this is my swansong '' . He knew Tommy was bought to replace him and was such a generous man that he made sure Tommy was looked after , he improved his game to another level and never begrudged him taking his place when the injuries had finally started taking their toll . With Tommy at centre forward a young Everton team won the league in 1939 playing one touch football , the first advocates of this methods of playing the game .... And of course they were League Champions until 1947 because of World War 2 .... I'm sure everyone knows that Everton won the League in 1915 and also held it through World War 1 which means we have been League Champions for 20 years .... As yet unsurpassed  ;D

Those stories make me love Everton even more....

November 11, 2011, 04:04:09 AM
Reply #9

Aussievertonian

This might interest you

http://www.fazackerley.co.uk/land_and_property.htm

Its not a ' common ' surname , offhand I can think of Derek Fazakerley , footballer who played nearly 600 games for Blackburn Rovers and when he retired was actually an England coach for a while under Kevin Keegan

Fazakerley does have a slight connection to Everton due to the original Fazakerley family connection to the Spellow family and Spellow house (Robert Fazakerley married Ellin De Walton in 1426)   which was demolished and the ' Spellow House Hotel ' rebuilt which of course still stands today a stones throw from Goodison Park .

On checking in 192.com there are 17 listed phone numbers of people with the surname ' Fazakerley ' in Liverpool and 131 people named but their numbers are not listed

I hope this helps  :thumbsup:

Thanks Mate  :clap: Im coming back to Liverpool next September.  Going to a wedding in Italy (Snoore) but then I cna swimg by a few Everton games, I guess I'll check it out properly then.  :thumbsup:

November 11, 2011, 04:06:28 AM
Reply #10

Aussievertonian

"The country is extremely flat and treeless, with nothing to recommend it to the passer-by, for it seems to be a district of straight lines, devoid of any beauty".

nice  :woohoo:

November 11, 2011, 04:13:32 AM
Reply #11

nomorechang

RIP
"The country is extremely flat and treeless, with nothing to recommend it to the passer-by, for it seems to be a district of straight lines, devoid of any beauty".

nice  :woohoo:

This is part of Fazakerley 
Alan Ball

November 11, 2011, 05:12:35 AM
Reply #12

Aussievertonian

ohh very nice. I look forward to seeing it in color :) Just hopefully we are in the Premier League still.

November 11, 2011, 07:38:51 AM
Reply #13

Deano Blue Boy

I was born in the hospital there. if that's not an attraction then i don't know what is.