March 27, 2019, 12:35:22 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Stoke City  (Read 42903 times)

December 04, 2011, 11:50:43 PM
Reply #240

CarlosAlberto

If we signed a 15-20 goal a season striker, would Moyes change the tactics to accomodate him?

December 04, 2011, 11:54:27 PM
Reply #241

kunal32

I think it's the other way around, you 're just looking for excuses to say we were shit. Why you're so happy doing that eludes me, but you certainly seem to revel in it.

Anyway, I looked at the team: it was pretty much the best team we could field. Well, the only team to be fair.
The tactics, same. It was the best we could play with the squad we have.

Funnily enough the one thing that definitely is Moyes' fault and has been the most consistently worrying problem this season isn't mentioned: our inability to defend in the box. We used to be good at it but now as soon as the ball is lifted in the box, we're like a pub team.

This and the ref cost us the game.

So you were happy with that performance then? How can I be looking for excuses to say we were shit. The fact is we were and are shit. It's not an excuse. I'm not looking to blame refs etc, i'm looking at the fact we didn't muster a single shot on their goal/force there keeper into a single save, blaming the ref for not having a single shot on goal is not an excuse. How many hoofs were put into their box??? food and drink for their defenders. It's about time a number of fans started actually admitting we are shit and we're not as good as we should be, the manager and players are responsible for rather than pointing the finger elsewhere. The apathy and mediocrity at this club is something that some people are happy accepting these days!

December 04, 2011, 11:54:40 PM
Reply #242

Major Clanger

If we signed a 15-20 goal a season striker, would Moyes change the tactics to accomodate him?

Of course he would, we've been constantly changing our tactics over the years to accommodate people. Some were more successful than others, but we were changing things around all the time.

However, even if we did sign someone who can finish, we'd still have trouble getting the ball into him with our depleted midfield. We desperately need someone to replace Cahill as the hole player, otherwise our only option is to stick to crosses from out wide.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

December 05, 2011, 12:00:22 AM
Reply #243

Bwana

No. I get the impression your making excuses for a performance which was diabolical - how about looking at the team, the managers selections, tactics, the general shite play of the team? We haven't lost that game soley based on the ref. The creativity is the refs responsibility is it??, the coaching isn't down to the ref is it?? Behave!

Does it matter how you score if you just score? I mean, the amount of crosses sent inside Stoke's box was enough to create at least 3-4 good scoring chances. For some reason no-one with a blue jersey couldn't get those balls... IF the ref would've whistled according the rules we should've had at least 3 spotkicks.

There is also a truth behind the "for this kind of situations we should have plan B"-approach. The thing with this is though that today, with "normal" refereeing, plan A would've been enough.
Well there may be no score, but there's certainly no lack of excitement here. As you can see, Nietzsche has just been booked for arguing with the referee. He accused Confucius of having no free will, and Confucius he say, "Name go in book". And this is Nietzsche's third booking in four games.

December 05, 2011, 12:01:20 AM
Reply #244

bluegrant

Like the chance today when hettinga came running through from nowhere for a cross wasnt picked up had a good chance,thats what we should see more often.

December 05, 2011, 12:01:35 AM
Reply #245

stirlingblue

I'm gonna try and find something positive:

Gueye looked good when he came on, showed some creativity and nice touches.

December 05, 2011, 12:20:40 AM
Reply #246

philly

I'm gonna try and find something positive:

Gueye looked good when he came on, showed some creativity and nice touches.

May have been able to make more of an impact playing on the correct side too!
Bily No Pace (07/10/2011): I try an inspire people through my subject lines, the way I look at it is a director's comment for every post I make, just a little insight into my world.

December 05, 2011, 12:29:52 AM
Reply #247

Gash

Global Moderator
I remember everyone saying this,

Thank god everyone was wrong and you were right.  ;)

December 05, 2011, 12:30:40 AM
Reply #248

CarlosAlberto

Of course he would, we've been constantly changing our tactics over the years to accommodate people. Some were more successful than others, but we were changing things around all the time.

However, even if we did sign someone who can finish, we'd still have trouble getting the ball into him with our depleted midfield. We desperately need someone to replace Cahill as the hole player, otherwise our only option is to stick to crosses from out wide.

Sorry, you manage to put into words what I failed to do. :)

December 05, 2011, 12:42:07 AM
Reply #249

Major Clanger

Thank god everyone was wrong and you were right.  ;)

It wouldn't be the first time it happened. :)

What constitutes a chance isn't very strictly defined, some only look at shots on target but I don't subscribe to it. Some chances don't even result in shots, and many shots on target aren't chances. There are even goals scored out of nothing.

I try to look at opportunities to shoot without much interference from the defence. We had plenty of those, but either opted for another pass or simply misfired.

But it doesn't really matter any more, now we have a new set of problems.

December 05, 2011, 12:52:08 AM
Reply #250

everton-4-ever

I don't know, you tell me.

He had a decent game, moved the ball around well.

what game did you watch?

he was just dogshit as normal
do to the man as the man would to you but do it first!!

December 05, 2011, 01:01:42 AM
Reply #251

christiffa25

This result would of left me fuming last season or especially the season before but I take it in my stride now I half expect it... When u look at our team now it is a mid table bunch of players.

Moyes is right we have a good core of a team, some great youngsters but completely lack the players only money can buy!

Howard
Vacant jags heit/Distin Baines
            Rodwell Fellani
Vacant.      Vacant.      Drenthe
                  Vacant

Coleman could go in there at RB IMO but would be learning. We need 3/4 top players to come into the current team to be anywhere near what we like to think we are or should be.

No point getting angry anymore. We just have too many average squad players starting every week now and no quality in the final third. Depressing times when unlike other clubs we don't even have any money to address the problems!

December 05, 2011, 01:06:53 AM
Reply #252

Major Clanger

This result would of left me fuming last season or especially the season before but I take it in my stride now I half expect it... When u look at our team now it is a mid table bunch of players.

Moyes is right we have a good core of a team, some great youngsters but completely lack the players only money can buy!

Howard
Vacant jags heit/Distin Baines
            Rodwell Fellani
Vacant.      Vacant.      Drenthe
                  Vacant

Coleman could go in there at RB IMO but would be learning. We need 3/4 top players to come into the current team to be anywhere near what we like to think we are or should be.

No point getting angry anymore. We just have too many average squad players starting every week now and no quality in the final third. Depressing times when unlike other clubs we don't even have any money to address the problems!

Good luck trying to sell a sensible idea to the 4-4-2 brigade. :)

December 05, 2011, 01:08:42 AM
Reply #253

Azz

executionerbong Executioner's Bong
We attempted 33 crosses today with a 21% accuracy. When the opposition play with 4 centrebacks thats playing into their hands #efc

Says it all really.

December 05, 2011, 01:09:16 AM
Reply #254

Trowel

I think the issue at the moment is more one of tactics than personnel. Every team knows that 90% of our attacks are based around shifting the ball wide to Baines so set out to defend deep balls into the box. Drenthe has to be played on the right just to offer variety, and similarly I think signing a central attacking midfielder is more of a priority than a striker purely to get the team creating chances again.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news