October 16, 2019, 09:20:34 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Stoke City  (Read 46536 times)

December 01, 2011, 07:48:19 PM
Read 46536 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
You read my mind Blargs. I would love to see this although I'd be amazed if Moyes actually did it. I think Moyes should give the 4-4-2 a go at least once. Our 4-2-3-1 doesn't suit our players too much.

We do play 4-4-2; it's just Cahill is one of the 2.

He's often further forward than Saha.

December 01, 2011, 07:52:51 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I agree that I wouldn't wanna see us play that way, just saying if we did resort to long balls like we seem to have done quite a bit this season, I'd fancy our chances more if we had 2 big fellas with aerial ability rather than a low on confidence Saha. Hopefully we do try and play some proper football against them cos they are a bunch of yard dogs.

I don't think Stoke have bigger players at the back than most other teams to be honest, their CBs are pretty much standard size for the PL. So I wouldn't see any long balls being any more futile than against anyone else, certainly not to consider Straq ahead of either Cahill or Saha. Nor Vellios for that matter given how he did against Hangeland.

December 01, 2011, 10:25:03 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
To me it seems it is more a 4-4-1-1 or when Cahill does drop back a 4-2-3-1. Granted I could very well be wrong as I have a relatively young football mind. I will agree that in the last two matches it is Saha who has dropped back more than Cahill. We have gotten 2 wins in the last 2 with that formation so I can't argue with the results.

Well, you're right in that one of them usually drops off, either Saha to get the ball or Cahill when we are defending.

But that would happen if we had 2 (in name) strikers playing, or at least it should do. That's just natural movement of the team during a game.

Otherwise, if the listed formation was based on where players go during a game we'd be playing 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 given how much time Baines is in the opposition half.