September 17, 2019, 10:05:15 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Stoke City  (Read 45414 times)

December 05, 2011, 01:49:49 AM
Reply #15

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Its a game of football, and it's about beating the other team.  Far too often Moyes fails to acknowledge that their is another team, and as a result doesn't really set his side out to combat them.

Aye. And when he does, he gets a lecture from some fans on how good teams should try to force their tactics on the opponent rather than trying to counter them.

I didn't even remember I had a signature.

December 05, 2011, 02:03:21 AM
Reply #16

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
What was most annoying for me is that they seemed to want it more.  Stoke were first to every loose ball (including the one from the corner that they scored from) and this is something we have done poorly for years.

It may have seemed so but again that isn't true. We won our fair share of second balls.

The corner had nothing to do with wanting it more either: annoyingly it's something they had practised and we failed to pick up. They clearly analysed the way we defend corners and based on how we usually clear them (poorly), placed Whitehead strategically in the position the ball was most likely to end up.

December 05, 2011, 02:56:12 AM
Reply #17

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
From what I remember they had a corner and it was headed out, that's pretty much a loose ball, or maybe the term im looking or is second ball? Either way were usually second to them, we were on that one, Whitehead got his strike in and they scored from it, this could have been avoided if when the ball came out from the corner we had someone following it up. That's the price you pay I suppose if you defend corners with all your players in your own box and don't get out fast enough.  If that was something Stoke worked on then fair play.  I would like to see us have some players ready in that area though when both attacking ad defending corners as it is an area we often lose the ball.

As I said, defending set-pieces is one of our major weaknesses this season. The reason I'm saying it' was something Stoke had definitely planned is that they managed to pull it off two more times. And I also remember an article about football science and match analysis from a couple of years ago in which Allardyce said that they had been doing  exactly this: using data from previous matches they calculated where the ball was most likely to land after a set-piece and placed a man there. I'm also fairly sure we're doing something similar when we try to plan our defending but it clearly isn't working..