November 18, 2018, 03:58:33 PM

Author Topic: everton v norwich city  (Read 38791 times)

December 15, 2011, 07:41:57 AM
Read 38791 times

Ridge

We shouldn't underestimate a decent Norwich side playing well and with confidence. They have a strong aerial threat up top and will look to cross more often than not.

I think we really need Drenthe back if fit, he adds a real urgency.

December 17, 2011, 07:34:00 AM
Reply #1

Ridge

I'm going to plum for a 2-1, Saha, Cahill, Pilkington.

December 17, 2011, 09:34:06 PM
Reply #2

Ridge

Good effort by Louis.

December 17, 2011, 09:39:39 PM
Reply #3

Ridge

Cahill is just low on confidence, one in off his arse would help him out.

December 17, 2011, 10:09:50 PM
Reply #4

Ridge

Strac and McAleny just gone to warm up.

December 17, 2011, 10:18:10 PM
Reply #5

Ridge

Osman really should have put that in front of Saha.

December 17, 2011, 10:22:17 PM
Reply #6

Ridge

Superb interception by Hibbo.

Game starting to get really strecthed now.

December 17, 2011, 10:25:08 PM
Reply #7

Ridge

Strac has been good so far, creating more problems than Cahill did.

December 17, 2011, 11:48:43 PM
Reply #8

Ridge

I think most of the people who are upset, are because they don't rate Norwich, probably because they haven't watched them. Holt's goal was a superb bit of skill, he also had a header that was excruciatingly close. From very little in terms of opportunities, they have strikers with confidence, who can wrestle a chance from a long ball, with the space vacated by the other team attacking.

I thought we played better than we have in several other games this season. Restricted them to very little and created a lot more chances. While it's frustrating that we have so much possession and chances, but struggle at the business end, we are still doing a lot of good things. We are still applying the pressure and dictating play, we just need a bit more guile and confidence in front of goal.

Drenthe is such an important ingredient for us, oppositions have to change tactics to try and deal with him. He has the pace to beat a man, the ability to fire a dangerous shot at the drop of a hat and the confidence to keep looking to get involved. If he was fully fit today, I think we would have won.

December 18, 2011, 08:42:53 AM
Reply #9

Ridge

Norwich are one of the worst teams we will play at GP this season, period.

The ball should never have reached Holt, it was keystone cops defending from Jags. Norwich have 2 decent strikers, a very average midfield and a dreadful defence. We made them look far better than they deserve to be rated.

For the first 75 minutes our performance was dreadful. Insipid, predictable and one dimensional would be the words I would use until the last 10 minutes after the introduction of Drenthe. If that performance had been at home to  Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc I could understand people viewing the game in a more positive light.

We had 7 shots on goal before Drenthe came in. 7. 1 every 12 minutes. If you just look thru this thread you wont see comments like "we can do this" / "we are doing well" after they scored. It was derivative. I was completely in the dark as to where a single goal was going to come from, it took 1 player to play above average to rip Norwich apart when they showed a bit of class,and guile.

I think the last 10 minutes clouded peoples judgement of our overall performance, where we got the other 8 attempts on goal.

I'm not saying they are top half of the table long term, but they are a dangerous outfit, playing well. Considering how shit they are, they are a fair way up the table. We contained and restricted their threat better than a lot of other teams. They've now scored in 7 of 8 away games, they were never going to be easy.

We were playing some of the best football we have played this season until they scored. Then they tightened up, were more cautious and potentially more dangerous on the break. There were periods of frustration, but we were nearly always on the front foot. I thought, but for a couple of poor performances, the majority of the team played well.