December 13, 2018, 12:57:13 AM

Author Topic: everton v norwich city  (Read 39159 times)

December 17, 2011, 11:16:38 PM
Reply #285

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
We played pretty well today and dominated them for most of the game. They scored a really good goal. On  another day we could have walked that game.

They're far from Championship quality, as there position suggests, they also deserve a bit of credit for coming and giving it a go right up to the end.

Not starting an argument with you here Gash but I disagree.  The goal they scored was due to a double cock-up by Jags, shite header, even worse swipe when the ball came back down.  Holt shouldn't have been in with a sniff.

When we actually had some quality on the pitch, Drenthe ripped through Norwich like butter. They are not a good side. They are organised and play for each other, but they are poor. Acres of space to exploit, which we categorically failed to do.

I wouldnt even say they parked the bus, crosses were coming into their box from the wings in the first half with NO Everton players in the box.

15 shots on goal, and about 8 of them came post Drenthe's arrival in the last 10 minutes. It was far from a decent performance.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 17, 2011, 11:17:28 PM
Reply #286

Gash

Global Moderator
It's this part that is worrying for me though, because it's more or less the story of every game we play against the "lesser" teams.  Sometimes we sneak a win, sometimes we lose, sometimes we get a draw - but we don't turn our performances in to enough points and it's been a problem for a long time now.

I know, I've said it for a while. But on some occasions we haven't looked like scoring. Today we did everything but score.

It's not a good result, but it's not the bad performance some people are making it out to be.

Anyway, you can all blame Blue Phoenix, he's the tit that started the thread gloating at the redshite for drawing at home to Norwich.  :headbang:

December 17, 2011, 11:30:30 PM
Reply #287

Stumpy

Gutted we didn't win in the end,but before Drenthe arrived i just couldn't see the equaliser coming.None of us know how fit Drenthe is but i just wish moyes had thrown him on sooner,he caused carnage when he did come on and probably another 10 mins of him would have done the trick.I also hope we have finaly seen the end of the Cahill/Saha partnership because it's stale,predictable,and simply doesn't work,and with Rodwell fit Neville should be back where he belongs,in the fucking stand.

December 17, 2011, 11:37:28 PM
Reply #288

Thom

Administrator
Just got in from the match.

Thought we did enough to win that one, but same old, same old with the opposition scoring from their first real attack. Drenthe and Stracqualursi changed the match for us and the former has to start against Swansea on Wednesday now.

Was good to see Gueye start and he impressed me with some decent touches and good link up play with Baines. I'd say Cahill and Neville were the only disappointing performances.

December 17, 2011, 11:48:43 PM
Reply #289

Ridge

I think most of the people who are upset, are because they don't rate Norwich, probably because they haven't watched them. Holt's goal was a superb bit of skill, he also had a header that was excruciatingly close. From very little in terms of opportunities, they have strikers with confidence, who can wrestle a chance from a long ball, with the space vacated by the other team attacking.

I thought we played better than we have in several other games this season. Restricted them to very little and created a lot more chances. While it's frustrating that we have so much possession and chances, but struggle at the business end, we are still doing a lot of good things. We are still applying the pressure and dictating play, we just need a bit more guile and confidence in front of goal.

Drenthe is such an important ingredient for us, oppositions have to change tactics to try and deal with him. He has the pace to beat a man, the ability to fire a dangerous shot at the drop of a hat and the confidence to keep looking to get involved. If he was fully fit today, I think we would have won.

December 18, 2011, 12:15:07 AM
Reply #290

bluemanx3

dunleerblue is right playing with neville is like playing with 10 men 4 us 12 4 them

December 18, 2011, 12:35:19 AM
Reply #291

Azz

15 shots on target according to BBC...  is that right? ???

December 18, 2011, 12:44:25 AM
Reply #292

nomorechang

RIP
Not long got back , I try to defend Moyes as much as I can from what I see is a lot of unfair criticism but I cannot for the life of me understand why Phil Neville gets on the pitch when Drenthe and Rodwell are fit enough to sit on the bench . .. and I'm afraid that Tim Cahill has just shot  his bolt now , I can't recall a worse performance from him in a blue shirt and I'm really saddened to say that .... However I still cannot believe that we never won that game ... we murdered them .. and as bad as they looked today , they are far from being the worst team in the Prem , Lambert has done a great job for them . Drenthe was lethal when he came on ... but d'you know what , I was made up with Straqu's performance as well , he looked like an old fashioned big number 9 Centre Forward , within seconds of coming on he created a chance and Norwich cacked themselves when the ball went in the air near him ..... not a long term solution to our forward problems but he certainly will give the best of CB's something to think about  .... Roll on January
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

December 18, 2011, 01:02:00 AM
Reply #293

bluestevie

only went today as a last minute thing due to my uncle not being able to make it. was sat in the top balcony (cracking view from up there but a pain in the arse to get there)

thought we played well and were unlucky not to win it in the end, drenthe was deadly when he come on and straqualursi showed some good touches. on the flip side the goal we conceded was a sucker punch when we were well on top and it showed by the end of the half

sadly i do think its time cahill was phased out from being a regular starter, he's on his worst run of form and it doesn't look like improving. any news why coleman, barkley and velios weren't in the squad today?
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

December 18, 2011, 01:33:07 AM
Reply #294

sharpattack

That's a typo. We havent had 15 on target in total all season
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

December 18, 2011, 02:54:20 AM
Reply #295

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

Had the same stat showing on the screen inside Goodison, found it odd as I could only recall Ruddy making 1 half decent save.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 18, 2011, 05:08:40 AM
Reply #296

Trowel

Technically correct, but technically our first was from Howard in the 3rd minute.

Stats can only tell you so much.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

December 18, 2011, 06:50:01 AM
Reply #297

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
anyone got a link to the goals?? cant find one on footy tube :(
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

December 18, 2011, 06:54:21 AM
Reply #298

Shogun

Administrator
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 18, 2011, 07:19:39 AM
Reply #299

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
I think most of the people who are upset, are because they don't rate Norwich, probably because they haven't watched them. Holt's goal was a superb bit of skill, he also had a header that was excruciatingly close. From very little in terms of opportunities, they have strikers with confidence, who can wrestle a chance from a long ball, with the space vacated by the other team attacking.

I thought we played better than we have in several other games this season. Restricted them to very little and created a lot more chances. While it's frustrating that we have so much possession and chances, but struggle at the business end, we are still doing a lot of good things. We are still applying the pressure and dictating play, we just need a bit more guile and confidence in front of goal.

Drenthe is such an important ingredient for us, oppositions have to change tactics to try and deal with him. He has the pace to beat a man, the ability to fire a dangerous shot at the drop of a hat and the confidence to keep looking to get involved. If he was fully fit today, I think we would have won.

Norwich are one of the worst teams we will play at GP this season, period.

The ball should never have reached Holt, it was keystone cops defending from Jags. Norwich have 2 decent strikers, a very average midfield and a dreadful defence. We made them look far better than they deserve to be rated.

For the first 75 minutes our performance was dreadful. Insipid, predictable and one dimensional would be the words I would use until the last 10 minutes after the introduction of Drenthe. If that performance had been at home to  Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc I could understand people viewing the game in a more positive light.

We had 7 shots on goal before Drenthe came in. 7. 1 every 12 minutes. If you just look thru this thread you wont see comments like "we can do this" / "we are doing well" after they scored. It was derivative. I was completely in the dark as to where a single goal was going to come from, it took 1 player to play above average to rip Norwich apart when they showed a bit of class,and guile.

I think the last 10 minutes clouded peoples judgement of our overall performance, where we got the other 8 attempts on goal.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:25:10 AM by NomadskiEFC »
Once A Blue NEVER a Red