October 18, 2017, 09:50:15 PM

Author Topic: The Story of Shankly  (Read 5280 times)

December 17, 2009, 12:49:27 AM
Read 5280 times

.Rimbo.

"I have not been short of invitations to other clubs and have been received more warmly by Everton than I have by Liverpool. It's probably fair to say that they are now 'my' team."

"I have been received more warmly by Everton than I have by Liverpool. It is scandalous that I should have to write these things about the club that I helped build into what it is today."

Does anyone know the history behind this story? Why did he lean more towards Everton in his later years? I remember Si brought this up a while ago.

Is it true that the Shankly Gates were built to keep him out of Anfield?

Cheers.

deCoubertin

December 17, 2009, 12:52:23 AM
Reply #1

evertonjoe

I think it was because he kept hanging around Liverpool's training ground wanting to still be involved after he retired and the staff weren't too big on the idea.

Whereas Everton welcomed visits from Shankly and even used him to scout players or so i have heard

R.A.P Music

December 17, 2009, 12:52:47 AM
Reply #2

Chris

Administrator

December 17, 2009, 01:02:34 AM
Reply #3

.Rimbo.

Cheers for that lads.

Why were they an insult, Si?

December 17, 2009, 01:07:15 AM
Reply #4

.Rimbo.

Ah, now I'm with it.

December 17, 2009, 01:10:15 AM
Reply #5

sharpattack

People have obviously forgotten what he thought and said about Everton. He was an old bollox who irritated the hell out of most people
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

December 17, 2009, 01:12:29 AM
Reply #6

Gareth

People have obviously forgotten what he thought and said about Everton. He was an old bollox who irritated the hell out of most people

It seems you and Bill have something in common!

December 17, 2009, 03:33:17 AM
Reply #7

Blue_Tom

as already said he used to go in to the ground and try and get involved in coaching the players and the players still being in awe of him would listen not to the amusment of the then manager, so he was told in not so many ways to basically stay away,

shankly always had an affection to everton and when he retired would spend hours at the training ground - something our dear friends across the park seem all to easy to forget when talking about the great man
"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law." :doh:

December 17, 2009, 03:34:39 AM
Reply #8

Blue_Tom

on another note all his "one liners" according to John keith an old sports commentor and broadcaster were actually written and rehearsed.
"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law." :doh:

December 17, 2009, 03:50:53 AM
Reply #9

Chazman

After they had fucked him off, apparentley he used to go around to Bellefield and spend time coaching the kids
"I fuckin love this club"

December 17, 2009, 04:00:57 AM
Reply #10

Chazman

P.S. You couldn't help but like the man.He lived and breathed football.I am as biased and bitter as they come, but believe me,he was a GREAT
"I fuckin love this club"

December 17, 2009, 05:04:31 AM
Reply #11

Билялетдинов

interesting guardian article, that.

didn't know they didn't even pay for the statue. it's a disgrace considering what a great he was.

December 17, 2009, 07:59:50 AM
Reply #12

Thomas

What i liked about him was, if he said something about Everton, it was TONGUE IN CHEEK......and with a little bit of class. You sensed he wasn't being serious,and that he knew Everton as well as Liverpool where a great club..... where as Benitez seems quite the opposite.

Was interesting having him one side of Stanley Park & Catterick the other side. Both where everything each other wasn't. They wbere good friends though.

Read a story in Colin Harveys book, two actually, about Alan Ball to do with Shankly Read Below

1) When Ball had come into training for his first day at Everton, in his pigeon was a note from Shankly, reading ' Congrats Son, you've joined NEAR a great team'  :snigger:

2) (recounted later by Catterick himself) When Harry Catterick had come back from a big operation, Shankly came into Bellefield with a big carton of soup made by his wife for "The Cat", smiling and saying 'Harrrrrrrrry, glad your better, here's some soup my wife made you'......then WITHOUT a pause "By The Way, How Much WOuld you let me buy Alan Ball for?'  lolol

There's other stories about him INSISTING he be put in an ordinary and not a private bed like anybody else when he died in Liverpool hospital, and paying for the train for fans who didn't have the money who'd bunked on. He understood what it was like to be working class.

A truly great man.

December 17, 2009, 02:20:17 PM
Reply #13

fast lane

Very enlightening article.
Although some parts were familiar, a good read.
Football really was different then.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

December 17, 2009, 03:24:13 PM
Reply #14

nomorechang

RIP
Dougie  Rose was the groundsman in charge of Bellefield from the 1960's , Shank's house backed on to our training ground and he used to walk his dog there when Dougie was the only one around ..   They were great friends and used to talk football for hours . Dougie is still alive and well and can tell you many a good tale about Shanks including the Johnny Morrisey and  Howard Kendall stories, by all accounts most of the urban myths about Shankley were true..He certainly was a character of the highest order
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "