November 25, 2017, 10:15:22 AM

Author Topic: Donovan press conference - any minute  (Read 7612 times)

December 17, 2009, 05:44:22 AM
Reply #15

cantoffee

I dunno about this. It could potentially harm Everton in America. I doubt he'd get that much game time and the understanding over there of football is such that they'd blame Everton. I spend more than half of each of my years living there so I have a good idea of what most football fans there would think.

It's not like they'd say we weren't playing him because he's American or something, you really think our image could be hurt if he doesn't get that much game time? That argument makes no sense to me, and I live in North America.

deCoubertin

December 17, 2009, 07:32:47 AM
Reply #16

huck

Chill fella. F**k all to do with him being American. It can take some time to adapt to different football cultures. Football is a fairly new sport in America only just starting to get popular. I don't think allot of L.A. Galaxy fans would enjoy or understand why when they tune in Landon is yet again getting subbed. Also the American sports media wouldn't enjoy seeing the darling of soccer sitting on the bench. Not saying that is what would happen. But with Everton getting their players back I'm sure Moyes would be looking more to getting Everton players under full contract up to speed and match fitness rather than lone signings with no future within the club.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:46:45 AM by huck »
Le Berry

December 17, 2009, 07:40:20 AM
Reply #17

huck

One thing! It's not an argument it's just my opinion.

I'd love for him to come to Everton and play brilliantly. If only for when I'm over there when someone asks me my team and I say Everton their response isn't either "who" or "oh"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:07:30 AM by huck »
Le Berry

December 17, 2009, 07:41:43 AM
Reply #18

sixymack

err North America, as in the continent why not just say you live in canada makes more sense how is canadian football these days and i dont mean the cfl

December 17, 2009, 04:32:41 PM
Reply #19

Rob Burns

err North America, as in the continent why not just say you live in canada makes more sense how is canadian football these days and i dont mean the cfl

I just left Canada a couple of months ago. There were a few people I worked with who had children playing football. Whenever they found out that I followed football they would ask if I had heard of a team called Everton. Everton is big with youth football in Ontario. I believe there's even some association between Everton and the Ontario soccer federation (or whatever it's called). Sadly no one w/o kids seems to know anything about them. If things go right I suspect there will be a decent size following for Everton in Canada. Mo Johnston is also the director of soccer (aswell as being their first manager) for Toronto FC (MLS team) so there's some association there too.

December 17, 2009, 10:25:44 PM
Reply #20

cantoffee

I just left Canada a couple of months ago. There were a few people I worked with who had children playing football. Whenever they found out that I followed football they would ask if I had heard of a team called Everton. Everton is big with youth football in Ontario. I believe there's even some association between Everton and the Ontario soccer federation (or whatever it's called). Sadly no one w/o kids seems to know anything about them. If things go right I suspect there will be a decent size following for Everton in Canada. Mo Johnston is also the director of soccer (aswell as being their first manager) for Toronto FC (MLS team) so there's some association there too.

Yea, there's an agreement between the OSA and Everton, I first noticed it a couple years ago when the boards around the stadium said Ontario Soccer Association. Unfortunately I haven't seen the effects of it, probable due to my age. There are a few fans who know what they're talking about here, and Everton have marketed themselves well in North America over the last 5 years (MLS Allstar game, A friendly in Edmonton, OSA Agreement, etc.). Bringing Landon in will only help and I hope it generates a few more fans here, especially with the Wolrd Cup buzz beginning to generate.

December 18, 2009, 12:10:59 AM
Reply #21

huck

I'm in a agreement with you on Everton representing themselves well in America and that is part of my worry. Fans can be fickle not all fans I am aware of that. I know allot will be upset if they feel their player isn't getting the game time he deserves. But my main concern isn't the fans it's the whole soccer media over there. Media is as bad here but with soccer not being a prominent sport in America it's easy to p**s on.
Le Berry

December 18, 2009, 01:42:58 AM
Reply #22

Endless, Nameless

I dunno about this. It could potentially harm Everton in America. I doubt he'd get that much game time and the understanding over there of football is such that they'd blame Everton. I spend more than half of each of my years living there so I have a good idea of what most football fans there would think.

This is a very good point. They see him as the footballing mesiah over there, so if they get the impression that we think we're too good for him (which we are, of course) then they'll probably grow to detest us.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 18, 2009, 01:50:36 AM
Reply #23

cantoffee

This is a very good point. They see him as the footballing mesiah over there, so if they get the impression that we think we're too good for him (which we are, of course) then they'll probably grow to detest us.

I just don't see that happening, maybe people outside of the football world will, but most people aren't that thick. It's not like there's some supreme hate for Bayern Munich going on now because he didn't succeed there. If he doesn't play people will just wonder why he came here, but they won't hate Everton for it. It will get the Everton name out there, and a few more people will watch our games, whether landy cakes plays or not. If he doesn't play most people will stop watching, but a few will have enjoyed what they saw and have a connection to the club and we will have gained another supporter.

December 18, 2009, 01:56:17 AM
Reply #24

Endless, Nameless

I just don't see that happening, maybe people outside of the football world will, but most people aren't that thick. It's not like there's some supreme hate for Bayern Munich going on now because he didn't succeed there. If he doesn't play people will just wonder why he came here, but they won't hate Everton for it. It will get the Everton name out there, and a few more people will watch our games, whether landy cakes plays or not. If he doesn't play most people will stop watching, but a few will have enjoyed what they saw and have a connection to the club and we will have gained another supporter.

Yes, but this move has come at the height of interest in US football, just before the world cup etc

There will be a lot of people following this and maybe I am being pessimistic, but there's a chance it won't be good for Everton.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 18, 2009, 04:38:45 AM
Reply #25

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Yea, there's an agreement between the OSA and Everton, I first noticed it a couple years ago when the boards around the stadium said Ontario Soccer Association. Unfortunately I haven't seen the effects of it, probable due to my age. There are a few fans who know what they're talking about here, and Everton have marketed themselves well in North America over the last 5 years (MLS Allstar game, A friendly in Edmonton, OSA Agreement, etc.). Bringing Landon in will only help and I hope it generates a few more fans here, especially with the Wolrd Cup buzz beginning to generate.

Yea I noticed this when I was travelling out there. People noticed my tattoo and asked me if I supported Everton. A couple even said they miss Duncan Ferguson! A few earned my respect "soccer" wise.

December 18, 2009, 08:47:52 PM
Reply #26

Trowel

www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

December 18, 2009, 08:57:41 PM
Reply #27

62toffee

The OS; "The USA international will now join the Toffees at the start of the January transfer window, staying on Merseyside until mid-March".

Anybody know the date when this starts and he's eligible to play?

December 18, 2009, 09:00:10 PM
Reply #28

IUToffee

The OS; "The USA international will now join the Toffees at the start of the January transfer window, staying on Merseyside until mid-March".

Anybody know the date when this starts and he's eligible to play?

It reads that he can come January 2, but any chance he could arrive in L'Pool a week before so he could be fit and fight for a spot once his loan actually begins?

December 18, 2009, 09:11:32 PM
Reply #29

Dr. Sponge

Personally, I don't care how our image is affected in America by the Donovan deal. He's a good player and all I am interested in is his contribution to the team. Footy will never be the major sport in America. Nor will it ever be the second or third major sport.

Just a very different culture.