November 25, 2017, 12:47:25 AM

Author Topic: "I thought we played well tonight" moyes  (Read 4852 times)

January 12, 2012, 03:58:44 PM
Reply #45

the roy vernon plan

Spurs had 62% of possession. EFC had no shots on target.

Spurs looked like they could have gone up another gear without any trouble.

We had a penalty shout with Drenthe but they might say that Cahill got away with
a foul on Modric in the first half. But it was the lack of quality throughout the team
that stood out for me and confirmed why they will do well this season and EFC will not.

For me if DM gives up on his favourites this season and takes the chance of going for youth, like McAlveny,
Barkley, Rodwell, Duffy then in the end there might be a siver lining.

But to watch inadequates like Neville, Hibbert, Billy, and now Cahill...

deCoubertin

January 12, 2012, 04:30:31 PM
Reply #46

Major Clanger

Still I'd feel happier if we at least made the keeper work, would you?

No, I'd only be happier if we made the keeper stand still while we banged them in.

Failing that, what matters is how good a chance is, and that has very little to do with whether a shot counts as blocked, on target or off target. We didn't have enough good chances but we weren't woeful either on that front.

We all know finishing is the main problem but the on/off/blocked categories can't even express the quality of a finish.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

January 12, 2012, 04:39:25 PM
Reply #47

Krissy

I think Moyes has the look of someone utterly defeated and completely exasperated. The team has lost all its confidence and 19 goals in 20 games says it all...

January 12, 2012, 04:51:23 PM
Reply #48

Straq attack

I agree - I thought Moyes did look like a beaten man after the game last night.

To his credit though, I am sure he realises the team's shortcomings and the flack we are getting from all sides at the moment (including the fans) so he probably wanted to take some of the pressure off the team with his post-match comments last night. 

January 12, 2012, 04:53:17 PM
Reply #49

gwladysknight

The sad thing is that the 1st half is prob the best we've played in months but as soon as the whistle went for the 2nd half players seemed to lose interest.

January 12, 2012, 04:55:13 PM
Reply #50

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
No, I'd only be happier if we made the keeper stand still while we banged them in.

Failing that, what matters is how good a chance is, and that has very little to do with whether a shot counts as blocked, on target or off target. We didn't have enough good chances but we weren't woeful either on that front.

We all know finishing is the main problem but the on/off/blocked categories can't even express the quality of a finish.

Well I suppose not many keepers just stand still while shots fly past them and into the net, so I will take it as a sign that we are doing better if we start getting some shots on target.  And my definition of on target is when the shot gets past any defenders and the goalkeeper is forced to make a save.
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

January 12, 2012, 05:03:52 PM
Reply #51

Major Clanger

Well I suppose not many keepers just stand still while shots fly past them and into the net, so I will take it as a sign that we are doing better if we start getting some shots on target.  And my definition of on target is when the shot gets past any defenders and the goalkeeper is forced to make a save.

Well, that's closer to what I mean.

There are good chances and bad chances, good shots and bad shots. I'd say for example that a shot blocked on the line is certainly better than a 40 yard hit-and-hope that is easily caught by the keeper. A shot that hits the post is certainly better than a fluffed chance that rolls tamely in the keeper's arms. And so on.

I'm not saying our finishing is good (that would be mental), just that the numbers we got are not adequate to describe how bad it is. And more importantly, they won't tell us whether there is an improvement or not.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

January 12, 2012, 05:04:17 PM
Reply #52

charlatan

:thumbsup:

January 12, 2012, 05:11:36 PM
Reply #53

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Well, that's closer to what I mean.

There are good chances and bad chances, good shots and bad shots. I'd say for example that a shot blocked on the line is certainly better than a 40 yard hit-and-hope that is easily caught by the keeper. A shot that hits the post is certainly better than a fluffed chance that rolls tamely in the keeper's arms. And so on.

I'm not saying our finishing is good (that would be mental), just that the numbers we got are not adequate to describe how bad it is. And more importantly, they won't tell us whether there is an improvement or not.

Yeah, fair enough I see your point.  I'm not sure what's more frustrating though, games like Stoke where there is nothing clear cut at all, or the likes of Bolton when Saha screwed his shot horribly wide when pretty much 1 on 1 with the keeper and time on his hands, the fact that we seem to be having a mixture of both those types of games is so annoying.  Overall though I don't think we are creating many of the 'good chances'
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

January 12, 2012, 05:17:54 PM
Reply #54

Straq attack

I agree - a real lack of quality chances being created, although I am hesitant to blame the strikers only for this.

Drenthe always makes things happen for us and by all accounts did so again last night - I don't care how much he gives the ball away, we sorely need him from this perspective and if there is any chance at all of signing him at all, it's a must for me.

January 12, 2012, 05:31:38 PM
Reply #55

Blueney-tunes

The whole team has been conditioned to pass the ball to the left to Baines
so he can then play a one two and whip the ball in for a header..

Moyes needs to realise that this method doesnt work anymore for the reasons that:

- Cahill cant jump anymore.
- Saha is down and out.
- The person who Baines played one two with has been sold.

We need a new strategy.

January 12, 2012, 05:36:09 PM
Reply #56

tafftoff

Just bumped into Moyes and said "tough at the moment Davey....it'll turn round"

He said "hope your right.... running outta things to spend my 3.5 million a year on"

Gotta feel sorry for him.