November 21, 2017, 06:02:10 PM

Author Topic: Vellios  (Read 5170 times)

January 17, 2012, 09:14:42 PM
Reply #30

Ross

He's obviously not ready no matter what he's doing in the reserves. Even the most anti Moyes supporter (?) must admit that if he was a better player than Saha or Anichebe he would be starting, why wouldn't he be?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

deCoubertin

January 17, 2012, 10:19:28 PM
Reply #31

krakkokain

Its pretty obvious he cant play as a lone man but i still think he is the most potent striker we have

January 17, 2012, 10:21:57 PM
Reply #32

sphinn

I hate saying it but look to Ferguson when it comes to "bleeding" young players... what do you do when they play bad or when they make mistakes? You show that you have faith in them by giving them another chance.

Vellios needs to play more in order for any one to be able to judge him. So does Barkley. Especially Barkley as it seems Moyes lost a little faith in him after a few matches (and yes I know he's been injured as well).

January 17, 2012, 10:24:16 PM
Reply #33

Major Clanger

I hate saying it but look to Ferguson when it comes to "bleeding" young players... what do you do when they play bad or when they make mistakes? You show that you have faith in them by giving them another chance.

Like Macheda. Or Welbeck. Or Pogba. Or Tosic. Yeah, right.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

January 17, 2012, 10:40:26 PM
Reply #34

Ross

Vellios needs to play more in order for any one to be able to judge him. So does Barkley. Especially Barkley as it seems Moyes lost a little faith in him after a few matches (and yes I know he's been injured as well).

"hate to say it" whether you like the guy or not he's the most successful manager ever, so looking at how he manages players can only be a good thing. If Ferguson had Velios he would be out on loan somewhere at his age, getting experience of first team football where he can learn and make mistakes. With the odd exception he has always done it that way, but we can't afford to at the moment because where so short of numbers.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 18, 2012, 01:16:16 AM
Reply #35

Geordie Blue

Luckily the people who decided not to give him "a decent crack at it" do know because they see him every day. So when you're saying no-one has seen enough to write him off, you're wrong.

There's no big conspiracy going on here. Straq is shite and Tolis needs time. Compared to them Saha has still a lot more to offer from the start. Vellios is good as a sub but that's it at the moment.

I assume by they - you mean DM and the coaching staff - and as he's been on the bench and used in recent games they presumeably haven't written him off so that would make me right - not wrong.
It's a matter of opinion there is very rarely any topic on here where you can be right or wrong which is what makes some of the statements people make so amusing.
Maybe Saha does have "a lot more to offer from the start" but what he consistently is not offering is goals - and that is a fact I know I'm right on. Most supporters now feel they have definitely seen enough of Saha to reach an informed opinion that he's not who they want to see start and would therefore like someone else to be given a short run to see if they can do any better - which may of course not work and you might end up being proven right after all!
"I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the kop. They never liked me doing that." Dixie Dean

January 18, 2012, 01:45:24 AM
Reply #36

Major Clanger

I assume by they - you mean DM and the coaching staff - and as he's been on the bench and used in recent games they presumeably haven't written him off so that would make me right - not wrong.
It's a matter of opinion there is very rarely any topic on here where you can be right or wrong which is what makes some of the statements people make so amusing.
Maybe Saha does have "a lot more to offer from the start" but what he consistently is not offering is goals - and that is a fact I know I'm right on. Most supporters now feel they have definitely seen enough of Saha to reach an informed opinion that he's not who they want to see start and would therefore like someone else to be given a short run to see if they can do any better - which may of course not work and you might end up being proven right after all!

How does it make you right?

He's good enough to come on for the last 10 minutes and try to bully tired defenders. He's not good enough to start games. It's not rocket science.

Which brings me neatly to my next subject, when you say: "most supporters now feel they have definitely seen enough of Saha to reach an informed opinion that he's not who they want to see". Now, that may well be the case, I don't doubt you, unfortunately most supporters can't tell their arse from their elbow when it comes to football. This may sound harsh, but it's true.

Trying out a player who's obviously not good enough in training just to see what happens, well, it's as stupid as it gets. If Moyes tried to do it, I'd be furious. Saha is in an unbelievably poor form and is low on confidence, but as I said, he still gives us more than Straq or Vellios in open play, and still gets chances. Once he starts converting those chances, people will be raving about how he's world class and maybe even praise his movement and link-up play, which is the best we currently have. (Still not as good as the Yak was in his prime but that's life.)

January 18, 2012, 02:05:20 AM
Reply #37

GrantyBoy78

Its pretty obvious he cant play as a lone man but i still think he is the most potent striker we have

This. Messi would look shit too if he played as the lone striker in our team.

Saha may be the better option on paper and I bet he looks immense in training (he is after all a very talented player), however, it's not happening for him. Vellios is the future and we're better off giving him minutes on the pitch..

January 18, 2012, 02:43:46 AM
Reply #38

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

He's good enough to come on for the last 10 minutes and try to bully tired defenders. He's not good enough to start games. It's not rocket science.

Which brings me neatly to my next subject, when you say: "most supporters now feel they have definitely seen enough of Saha to reach an informed opinion that he's not who they want to see". Now, that may well be the case, I don't doubt you, unfortunately most supporters can't tell their arse from their elbow when it comes to football. This may sound harsh, but it's true.

Trying out a player who's obviously not good enough in training just to see what happens, well, it's as stupid as it gets. If Moyes tried to do it, I'd be furious. Saha is in an unbelievably poor form and is low on confidence, but as I said, he still gives us more than Straq or Vellios in open play, and still gets chances. Once he starts converting those chances, people will be raving about how he's world class and maybe even praise his movement and link-up play, which is the best we currently have. (Still not as good as the Yak was in his prime but that's life.)

This.

January 18, 2012, 03:56:38 AM
Reply #39

Geordie Blue

"The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
"I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the kop. They never liked me doing that." Dixie Dean

January 18, 2012, 04:16:13 AM
Reply #40

GrantyBoy78

"The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." — Albert Einstein

Indeed - like playing Cahill and Saha together over and over again, hoping they'll eventually score.

January 18, 2012, 04:21:02 AM
Reply #41

Geordie Blue

Indeed - like playing Cahill and Saha together over and over again, hoping they'll eventually score.

Yes exactly or trying to explain this concept to some other fans  :woohoo:

January 18, 2012, 04:43:58 AM
Reply #42

Major Clanger

It takes a special kind of person to quote Einstein is all I can say.

January 18, 2012, 05:10:34 AM
Reply #43

Geordie Blue

It takes a special kind of person to quote Einstein is all I can say.
Not as good as The shadow over inasmuch though - very clever  :thumbsup:

January 18, 2012, 05:20:20 AM
Reply #44

Major Clanger

Not as good as The shadow over inasmuch though - very clever  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Sir. :)

But you know what the funniest thing in that quote is? Einstein, although he hated it all throughout his life, is one of the most important pioneers of quantum mechanics. He hated it because quantum mechanics is based on the assumption that repeating the same experiment can and will produce different results.

Anyway, my point is that we're not trying the same thing over and over again just because it involves the same people.