October 24, 2019, 01:01:20 AM

Author Topic: Everton V Manchester City  (Read 49121 times)

February 01, 2012, 01:10:59 AM
Reply #75

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Would have stuck with Duffy myself, but I can understand the logic in putting Hibbert in.  I do worry about Heitinga and Hibbert's ability to deal with Dzeko in the air though.

February 01, 2012, 01:11:41 AM
Reply #76

marky v

Jesus that defence is a disgrace,

hope to be proved wrong and we get a clean sheet

February 01, 2012, 01:12:11 AM
Reply #77

bryan

Mancini has his best squad on the pitch tonight.  Three points are a huge ask from this match.

February 01, 2012, 01:12:54 AM
Reply #78

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
If Hibbert doesn't have a stormer Moyes has opened himself to all sorts of criticism, shame as the rest of the side is very good.

February 01, 2012, 01:14:21 AM
Reply #79

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
If Hibbert doesn't have a stormer Moyes has opened himself to all sorts of criticism, shame as the rest of the side is very good.

I don't think he needs to have a stormer, but if he's at fault for any goals (and we lose) then he'll be getting slaughtered for it.

February 01, 2012, 01:17:14 AM
Reply #80

Gash

Global Moderator
Feel sorry for Duffy, he's done well enough since being put in.

February 01, 2012, 01:18:33 AM
Reply #81

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I feel for Duffy, sometimes it seems we only play youth when there is no other able bodied senior team player who can be shoehorned into the spot in question.

I don't think Hibbert is necessarily a bad option there (although two short CBs is a bit worrying), but the bigger problem I really think moves like this can potentially torpedo a young player's confidence. He has made a couple of mistakes but they clearly aren't the reason he is being dropped, case in point Jags for a lot of this season...in fact Jags has at times played a lot worse.

Moyes could stand to have a little more faith in a player who has stepped up well I feel.

February 01, 2012, 01:23:30 AM
Reply #82

Bacarelle

I feel for Duffy, sometimes it seems we only play youth when there is no other able bodied senior team player who can be shoehorned into the spot in question.

I don't think Hibbert is necessarily a bad option there (although two short CBs is a bit worrying), but the bigger problem I really think moves like this can potentially torpedo a young player's confidence. He has made a couple of mistakes but they clearly aren't the reason he is being dropped, case in point Jags for a lot of this season...in fact Jags has at times played a lot worse.

Moyes could stand to have a little more faith in a player who has stepped up well I feel.

This.

Plenty of people would be glad to see the back of Hibbert (me included) and so why he justifies a place when Duffy has done as least as well as those he has replaced is a mystery.

No doubt if we win (or even draw) all that will be glossed over, but it does raise serious questions about why Moyes picks Hibbert and Neville in advance of younger players with more potential !
The elephant is a pretty bird
It flits from bough to bough
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
And whistles like a cow

February 01, 2012, 01:24:23 AM
Reply #83

CarlosAlberto

Bad decision. How the hell is a player supposed to get experience of playing against the bigger teams if he is dropped for dwarf right back?

February 01, 2012, 01:24:37 AM
Reply #84

Shogun

Administrator
Subs: Mucha, Gueye, Barkley, Vellios, Forshaw, Duffy, Baxter

February 01, 2012, 01:25:58 AM
Reply #85

Outworlder47

Everton XI: Howard, Neville, Hibbert, Heitinga, Baines, Donovan, Fellaini, Gibson, Drenthe, Cahill, Stracqualursi
Subs: Mucha, Duffy, Forshaw, Barkley, Gueye, Baxter, Vellios

Man City XI: Hart, Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy, Nasri, Barry, Milner, Nasri, Aguero, Dzeko
Subs: Pantilimon, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Savic, De Jong, Johnson, Razak

Not a whole lot of attacking options for Mancini off the bench. If we nick a goal early, we've got a great chance for 3 points.

February 01, 2012, 01:26:16 AM
Reply #86

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Subs: Mucha, Gueye, Barkley, Vellios, Forshaw, Duffy, Baxter
no experience there - and Pienaar on Spurs bench

February 01, 2012, 01:28:23 AM
Reply #87

Thornton_19

Young bench there! Would be nice for one of them to come on and make a name for themself

February 01, 2012, 01:29:15 AM
Reply #88

Ross

I can understand it myself and actually expected it. If Duffy had a nightmare against City tonight it could set him back months, they move the ball around quickly and thats not his strengths anyway. As for worrying about Dzeko he's a bit like Crouch in the air (poor mainly) so City keep it moving on the ground and Hibbert can deal with that.

Tough call from Moyes but the right one in my opinion, but I do hope he's back in for Wigan.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 01, 2012, 01:29:58 AM
Reply #89

kunal32

I'm baffled as to why he's dropped Duffy.