October 23, 2019, 04:50:32 PM

Author Topic: Match Ratings  (Read 8036 times)

February 06, 2010, 09:35:31 PM
Reply #30

cantoffee

Saha may have tried but he created nothing, literally, zero shots. At least the yak tested Reina, and people are being harsh on Anichebe for his chance. Yes he should've shot but that turn was more than Saha created all game.

Can't blame it all on Saha of course, the rest of the team was pretty terrible. And 8 for Arteta is laughable, he passed sideways all game(like everyone else), something you, Rhimbo, have been slatting Osman for recently.

February 06, 2010, 09:40:15 PM
Reply #31

ally2

We were OK in the first half I thought.  But the second half was nothing I think Liverpool asked if we could break them down, and we couldn't.  I think we were outwitted.  There were some individuals who weren't great but that wasn't the point.

Howard 5 - concentration makes the diffference between good and great players
Osman 5 - didn't show enough for the ball and treated it like a hot potato even when there was space to run in to
Anichebe 5 - when we needed magic he was strong but unable to make good quick decisions and lacked awareness

February 06, 2010, 09:43:50 PM
Reply #32

.Rimbo.

Saha may have tried but he created nothing, literally, zero shots. At least the yak tested Reina, and people are being harsh on Anichebe for his chance. Yes he should've shot but that turn was more than Saha created all game.

Can't blame it all on Saha of course, the rest of the team was pretty terrible. And 8 for Arteta is laughable, he passed sideways all game(like everyone else), something you, Rhimbo, have been slatting Osman for recently.

Arteta carried the ball, he threw himself in to tackles. He showed heart and desire and almost pushed players into moving for him today. He got a foot on the ball and tried to run the show. For my money, Osman didn't do anything of that nature. As soon as Arteta come on, Osman just kept passing 6 or 7 yards to him, as if to say "Do it all yourself, Mikel".

It's not that simple, either. Mikel's passing range is far superior to that of Osman's, as is his vision and his passing variation. He hits some high, some long, some fast, some slow. Arteta's sideway passes are sometimes 10 yards, sometimes 30. Osman's are always the same telegraphed passes. And more often than not, his put a full back or a winger into trouble because they are marked. Arteta seldom gives the ball away, Osman does.

As for Saha, you can say that if you want. I think what we saw today was an unfit striker who was thrown in to play because of his experience and the other strikers not being match-ready. He ran himself into the ground pretty much and was fucked after 60 minutes. I don't call that being lazy, I call that age and not being match-fit.

Both Yakubu's and Anichebe's shots came when Liverpool were sitting back protecting their lead. Saha didn't really have that luxury against their defence for that long. That meant we had more of a foot on the ball and could carry it further forward. In the first half, Saha made intelligent runs (the Heitinga free kick along the floor, Osman playing him in when Reina charged him down, Cahill's long ball up where he was narrowly offside). If Saha would have been in Anichebe's position, he would have buried it, and that's the difference.

I think you're just treating things too black-and-white.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:45:35 PM by .Rimbo. »

February 06, 2010, 10:06:00 PM
Reply #33

cantoffee

Arteta carried the ball, he threw himself in to tackles. He showed heart and desire and almost pushed players into moving for him today. He got a foot on the ball and tried to run the show. For my money, Osman didn't do anything of that nature. As soon as Arteta come on, Osman just kept passing 6 or 7 yards to him, as if to say "Do it all yourself, Mikel".

It's not that simple, either. Mikel's passing range is far superior to that of Osman's, as is his vision and his passing variation. He hits some high, some long, some fast, some slow. Arteta's sideway passes are sometimes 10 yards, sometimes 30. Osman's are always the same telegraphed passes. And more often than not, his put a full back or a winger into trouble because they are marked. Arteta seldom gives the ball away, Osman does.

As for Saha, you can say that if you want. I think what we saw today was an unfit striker who was thrown in to play because of his experience and the other strikers not being match-ready. He ran himself into the ground pretty much and was fucked after 60 minutes. I don't call that being lazy, I call that age and not being match-fit.

Both Yakubu's and Anichebe's shots came when Liverpool were sitting back protecting their lead. Saha didn't really have that luxury against their defence for that long. That meant we had more of a foot on the ball and could carry it further forward. In the first half, Saha made intelligent runs (the Heitinga free kick along the floor, Osman playing him in when Reina charged him down, Cahill's long ball up where he was narrowly offside). If Saha would have been in Anichebe's position, he would have buried it, and that's the difference.

I think you're just treating things too black-and-white.

That's just not true, I saw Arteta pull out of tackles on more than one occasion today. Not that I blame him really but what you've put there makes it sound like he put himself about and dominated the game, he clearly didn't.

I don't blame Arteta for not creating more because he's only just come back but he was not an 8, not in a million years, he was average, played fairly simple passes, and nothing incisive. I'm also not saying Osman was good, by no means, he was garbage as well, but you've really overshot his effect on the game. He did see a lot of the ball, but nothing happened, and yes that was due in part to poor movement but he did not have a good game.

As for Saha, you're right he may have buried that chance, but he didn't create it. He didn't get behind the defence at all today, when there was more room for him than there was for Yak or Anichebe. He hassled defenders and challenged for the ball, but he didn't link up play or make good runs, and he didn't turn and run at defenders(which is one of his best attributes). Up front, Cahill created a couple of chances, challenged for the ball, and link up well with the midfielders(maybe not well but at least it happened a couple times).

Both Cahill and Anichebe probably should've scored, but at least they were able to get into goal scoring positions, which Saha did not do.

February 06, 2010, 10:45:00 PM
Reply #34

everton-4-ever

howard -  should have ollected for the goal or clumped dick shite
neville   - 4  hibbert replacement?same performance but uglier face
heitinga - 6 tried nd cant be blamed for moving on the summer
distan -5 typical performance from unfit player
baines -4england? heres hoping terry and bridge bury the hatchet
osman - 1 spineless and inept release him now moyes
fellani - 5 missed in the second half
pienaar 4- worst game in blue?
donavon-5 1 run doesnt get you a win
cahill-5 effort but offerd nothing
saha- 5 tired and injurd

anchovi 3-  a pointless squady
yakubu-   3 finished
arteta- 5 fed to wolves by moyes
do to the man as the man would to you but do it first!!

February 06, 2010, 11:26:39 PM
Reply #35

Thom

Administrator
Howard- 5
Neville- 4
Heitinga- 6
Distin- 5
Baines- 5
Donovan- 6
Fellaini- 6
Osman- 5
Pienaar- 5
Cahill- 6
Saha- 5

February 07, 2010, 12:56:18 AM
Reply #36

Ridge

8 for Arteta? Are you taking the piss? All I noticed was him pulling out of tackles.
Strange that

February 07, 2010, 01:01:26 AM
Reply #37

.Rimbo.

That's just not true, I saw Arteta pull out of tackles on more than one occasion today. Not that I blame him really but what you've put there makes it sound like he put himself about and dominated the game, he clearly didn't.

I don't blame Arteta for not creating more because he's only just come back but he was not an 8, not in a million years, he was average, played fairly simple passes, and nothing incisive. I'm also not saying Osman was good, by no means, he was garbage as well, but you've really overshot his effect on the game. He did see a lot of the ball, but nothing happened, and yes that was due in part to poor movement but he did not have a good game.

As for Saha, you're right he may have buried that chance, but he didn't create it. He didn't get behind the defence at all today, when there was more room for him than there was for Yak or Anichebe. He hassled defenders and challenged for the ball, but he didn't link up play or make good runs, and he didn't turn and run at defenders(which is one of his best attributes). Up front, Cahill created a couple of chances, challenged for the ball, and link up well with the midfielders(maybe not well but at least it happened a couple times).

Both Cahill and Anichebe probably should've scored, but at least they were able to get into goal scoring positions, which Saha did not do.

He challenged and got in their faces, considering that he's just come back from a year-long injury, you'd forgive him for being a little tentative. He wasn't today. He was getting stuck in, which is more than I can say for most.

It's all subjective with ratings, so drop Arteta down to a 7 and drop a few others a point down if it makes you sleep easy.

The Liverpool that Anichebe and Yak played was vastly different to that of the one Saha played.

February 07, 2010, 01:29:38 AM
Reply #38

Dr. Sponge

Howard- 5. Commanded his box well enough but was criminal on the goal conceded.
Neville- 5. No creativity from his side at all. Kept playing it into Donovan with a man up his arse where he couldn't do anything. Predictable and stunted our rhythm.
Heitinga- 7. Did well at centre-half and didn't really looked troubled at all. Deserves a 7 just for squaring up to Steven G.
Distin- 5. Liking him less and less if I'm honest. That N'Gog chance where Osman slid in on him in the first half was down to Distin not putting the ball out and opting to hit it across the pitch.
Baines- 5. Didn't do much really bar the free kick.
Donovan- 7. One of the brighter lights.
Fellaini- 6. Did well when he was on but not long enough to judge. I think I'm right in saying Felli' stands where Kuyt did on the goal?
Osman- 5. Not good enough.
Pienaar- 4. Awful.
Cahill- 6. Tried, showed endeavour, but should have scored.
Saha- 6. Tried and worked but never had any service as per usual. Clearly the best striker on the books.

Arteta- 8. Our man of the match, shame when he had the ball the others just looked at him as if he was going to magic-wand a goal.
Anichebe- 5. Should have scored.
Yakubu- 6. Looks fucked, one good shot.

Both Anichebe and Yakubu never had the service, mind.

I missed this incident. Can anyone explain?

February 07, 2010, 01:37:17 AM
Reply #39

blue for you

look we don't have the ball's to beat the redshite's in anfield, reading can win there.
we had them down to ten men no ladyboy torres and still can't bet them.
it would piss you off

February 07, 2010, 01:40:42 AM
Reply #40

Ridge

look we don't have the ball's to beat the redshite's in anfield, reading can win there.
we had them down to ten men no ladyboy torres and still can't bet them.
it would piss you off
They are excuses to be pissed off, but only excuses...

February 07, 2010, 01:44:34 AM
Reply #41

blue for you

yes ten fucking years of excuses, i won't mind if they were a good side
they are shite and we can't beat them

February 07, 2010, 01:50:41 AM
Reply #42

Dr. Sponge

yes ten fucking years of excuses, i won't mind if they were a good side
they are shite and we can't beat them

They can't be that shite. As they would say, the table doesn't lie. Underestimation can be a swine.

February 07, 2010, 02:00:37 AM
Reply #43

blue for you

they are how far are they off the top sunderland, reading, beat them not world class clubs are they
fucking wolves drew with them

February 07, 2010, 02:04:56 AM
Reply #44

Dr. Sponge

they are how far are they off the top sunderland, reading, beat them not world class clubs are they
fucking wolves drew with them

But Burnley beat us, and many other poorer teams.

I'm gutted too mate, because it was the derby, but we can't lose sense of reality, they are in fact a good team, they're 4th in the table!!