Author Topic: Top 10 Finish will be a battle in itself  (Read 1810 times)

March 05, 2012, 10:48:01 AM

Offline howard1334

• Sandy Young
    • View Profile
Top 10 Finish will be a battle in itself
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/eng.1/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739

With Totenham, Liverpool and Arsenal as our next three games and us sitting in 13th place at the moment, albeit with a game in hand, I have to view a top 10 finish as quite an accomplishment in an increasingly competitive premier league midtable. Teams like Fulham seem to actually have a boat load of talent.... and we could be in for quite a fight. In the end the difference in money earned between 13th and 7th place could make a big difference in who we can afford to sign next year and who would be willing to sign. I think will take top 8 or 9 as long as we get at least 2-3 points from the upcoming three games, can not afford to get 0 or even just 1.
Evertonians are Born Not Manufactured
We do not Choose; We are Chosen
Those who Understand Need No Explanation
Those That Don't Understand Don't Matter

March 05, 2012, 11:25:58 AMReply #1

Offline Sir Stealth

• NSNO Subscriber
  • Howard Kendall
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Finish will be a battle in itself
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
I'll only be happy with 10th if we've won the FA Cup as well

March 05, 2012, 11:31:27 AMReply #2

Offline Grimly

• Jeremiah Kelly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:27 AM »
 :tit:
I'll only be happy with 10th if we've won the FA Cup as well

Are you serious? 10th would be a good result considering the early season turmoil.

And yeah, hello everyone, I'm new here :)

March 05, 2012, 11:36:16 AMReply #3

Offline Sir Stealth

• NSNO Subscriber
  • Howard Kendall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »
Are you serious? 10th would be a good result considering the early season turmoil.

Yeah I'm serious!why wouldn't I be?!

March 05, 2012, 12:23:15 PMReply #4

Offline C-R-A-I-G

• Pat Van Den Hauwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
I think that we will finish in the top 8 myself. I think Man Utd, Man City, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle all have top 6 taken. Between us and Liverpool for who gets 7th. We have quality and the end of season form will come around and a gap will be created between us and the rest of the teams. The only reason they are above us is because of how poorly we have been playing, not how well they have.

March 05, 2012, 01:15:17 PMReply #5

Offline nomorechang

• NSNO Subscriber
  • Bob Latchford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
I think we are well capable of getting a top 7 finish , Our games vs Spurs , RS and Arsenal I have seen nothing that has me fearful of them and in fact I think that none of them relish the prospect of playing against us .. I know many may disagree but I still feel we will finish ahead of Newcastle by the end of the season. The one thing that may hinder us more than anything is if we put too much into the FA cup and I hope we don't let it detract from our bread and butter league matches.. Unless , of course , we win the cup :D
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

March 05, 2012, 01:31:59 PMReply #6

Offline Sir Stealth

• NSNO Subscriber
  • Howard Kendall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
We have 12 games left (one of which is a game in hand) to make up 2 points over Fulham, Sunderland, Stoke, Norwich and West brom and we are still to play all of these teams, plus games against Newcastle and Liverpool in 6th and 7th currently, I'm quite confident that we can finish 8th, with possibly a late surge for 7th

March 05, 2012, 02:49:15 PMReply #7

Offline The Golden Vision

• Duncan Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »
I expected stoke to come back into form after their bad start to the year but the performances of Fulham and WBA have really suprised me had both down for 14th and 15th positions. We have a fight on our hands but in all fairness does it matter if we finish 8th or 12th? I know its nice for pride etc but good performances are more important and the gelling of the players like jelavic, gibson, junior, straq and drenthe for next season

14th place and an FA cup win

or 7th place knocked out in quarter and no europa leage

Every time......................... ..

were on the march

March 05, 2012, 02:56:52 PMReply #8

Offline DannyR

• Howard Kendall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »
I think 8th/9th with a visit or 2 to Wembley
I like my coffee how I like my women, with 2 e's in them.

March 05, 2012, 05:47:16 PMReply #9

Offline American Evertonian

• Joe Royle
  • @sirandrewhall & @memphistoffees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »

Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately I'm going to disagree with you and agree w/ Stealth. I will be disappointed w/ anything less than 8th to be honest. We always have early season turmoil and in recent years have been able to overcome it as well. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum my friend. We cannot expect anything but the best and in my opinion 9th or less is utterly unacceptable.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

March 05, 2012, 05:50:32 PMReply #10

Offline .Rimbo.

• Derek Mountfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »

It's just ridiculous and frustrating that every year we have to consider and endure the 'early season turmoil'.

March 05, 2012, 05:56:02 PMReply #11

Offline The Golden Vision

• Duncan Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
It's just ridiculous and frustrating that every year we have to consider and endure the 'early season turmoil'.

Makes you wonder. Imagine if Straq, Drenthe joined in July and Pienaar never left. Fellaini and co hitting form earlier we could easily be 7-10 points better off. People might say "yer but all clubs can say what if etc". However in our case our what if's are so bloody solveable.

1. Dont fuck up in transfer market till september
2. Play better teams in friendlies
3. Make the players believe they can achieve the highest

March 05, 2012, 05:58:51 PMReply #12

Offline Shogun

• NSNO Subscriber
  • Howard Kendall
  • How we survive is what makes us who we are
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »
We'll finish above Liverpool.

March 05, 2012, 06:02:36 PMReply #13

Offline .Rimbo.

• Derek Mountfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »
Makes you wonder. Imagine if Straq, Drenthe joined in July and Pienaar never left. Fellaini and co hitting form earlier we could easily be 7-10 points better off. People might say "yer but all clubs can say what if etc". However in our case our what if's are so bloody solveable.

1. Dont fuck up in transfer market till september
2. Play better teams in friendlies
3. Make the players believe they can achieve the highest

Under current conditions, I don't really know what could be done about number one. I don't have lofty ambitions or expectations for this window. I'd be happy if we secured Pienaar, Drenthe and Stracqualursi early doors on permanent deals. Other than that, I'm not bothered about anyone coming in but we have to ensure no-one big leaves, especially towards the end of the window.

I agree whole-heartedly with the second point. Last year we played a bunch of shite. We need to start the season as competitive as possible. Furthermore, Moyes needs to make bold decisions early on in the season. Drop players who aren't performing and not be afraid to promote young players or new signings early.

I'm not sure what you mean by the third point. Not so much the last two years but before that we were the 'best of the rest' and the players still struggled and constantly made silly individual errors. I don't know how much confidence-building goes on in and around Everton but do sometimes find myself doubting Moyes' man-management abilities. If anything, maybe the pressure of 5th place finishes, Europe and a cup final got to them.

March 05, 2012, 06:05:56 PMReply #14

Offline Sir Stealth

• NSNO Subscriber
  • Howard Kendall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
We'll finish above Liverpool.

Would love you to be right, but I don't think we will