November 22, 2017, 05:20:40 AM

Author Topic: Gary Lineker  (Read 3386 times)

March 07, 2012, 07:23:09 PM
Reply #15

BigWoodenSpoon

bet you're made up he works with your young keepers now then! lol

Mimms cost us a lot of points that season, he just wasn't good enough, but then maybe we should have had a better understudy in place knowing that Southall would play up to 80 games in a season (including internationals)

Well I never knew that.  I heard about Kenny coming in for him but never heard anything else.  I just assumed the interest died and that was that.  But I guess being a shite player doesn't necesserily mean you'll be a shite coach.  Totally different.  As has been proven when ordinary/brilliant players have become brilliant/ordinary managers.

deCoubertin

March 08, 2012, 01:41:06 PM
Reply #16

JoeHart

looking back, Mimms did cost us alot of points.
thats a really good post.
He may have been the difference between another league title and coming 2nd.

We relied heavily on Southall, none of his understudies where up to top flight football.
In his latter days, we had the rare time Speare or Kearton would played, my heart sunk witgh either of them in net.

I know Kearton went off to Crewe for a few years, not sure what happenend to him after that.
Speare made name for himself in the non league
Mimms went to spurs, blackburn and into the lower leagues.

love to know where Kearton finished off.
Everton forever

March 08, 2012, 04:53:05 PM
Reply #17

Major Clanger

love to know where Kearton finished off.

As far as Wikipedia can be trusted, he went back to Brisbane after Crewe and retired from there.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 08, 2012, 07:35:56 PM
Reply #18

DEL PIERO

Didnt Kendall sell him to Barca because he though he was going to get the managers job there at the time?

that was the rumour, but i think the board saw the money and creamed rather than howie droping poison in their ears.
everton are magic

March 08, 2012, 08:41:36 PM
Reply #19

Krissy

To be fair the lure of Barcelona and extra wedge would make most people want to join them, can't blame Lineker.
I always wondered why we didn't have a buy back clause in his contract...
We signed Wayne Clarke as a replacement for peanuts and we caned the league title the following season...happy days...

March 08, 2012, 09:10:22 PM
Reply #20

DEL PIERO

To be fair the lure of Barcelona and extra wedge would make most people want to join them, can't blame Lineker.
I always wondered why we didn't have a buy back clause in his contract...
We signed Wayne Clarke as a replacement for peanuts and we caned the league title the following season...happy days...

and the european ban.

loved wayne clarke.
everton are magic

March 08, 2012, 11:03:43 PM
Reply #21

Sres

The rumour that I heard regarding Linekar was that he was sold and Kendall was going to follow him as Manager.  It all fell through on the second part.