October 15, 2019, 10:33:29 AM

Author Topic: What separates us from real success.  (Read 6862 times)

February 07, 2010, 06:13:56 PM
Read 6862 times

timloid

A really good striker, one who can not only score goals but can combine with his team mates better than Louis Saha.  Louis has got us a fair number of goals this season though his strike rate now seems to be dropping off.  A 'fair number' but nothing exceptional and he doesn't really work too closely with his team mates. I fear the Yak's best days are behind him. I know he was off for a long time but he seems to  have forgotten to bring his shooting boots with him since he returned.

We are supposed to be trying to get the lad Beckford. He can find the back of the net but I believe he's 26 now and doesn't strike me as possessing the quality we need. I do not know where we can get the right sort of player  but its clear that we are finding it very hard to score goals thro' our strikers. Fortunately stalwart contributions have been made by Bily, Peanuts, Mophead and, of course, Tim.  How we could have managed with the 'Roon'. right now. That lad has everything. Very fast over the ground, built like a tank, brings his team mates into the action and has a rocket shot in both feet.

Where can we find another Rooney?  Thats really all we need.
Born a 'BLUE'

February 07, 2010, 06:15:25 PM
Reply #1

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
A real quality striker, a quality right back and the attitude required to beat the bigger clubs away from home.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

February 07, 2010, 06:15:59 PM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
And at home. We rarely beat them at GP either.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 07, 2010, 06:18:37 PM
Reply #3

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
And at home. We rarely beat them at GP either.

But I think we show much more spirit against them at home than we do away.

Just compare this seasons trip to Old Trafford and last season's home match against United.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

February 07, 2010, 06:19:24 PM
Reply #4

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
True, but we still don't beat them often.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 07, 2010, 06:26:00 PM
Reply #5

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I think we should give Yakubu time, give him a pre season and get him going again. If next season he isnt scoring then I can understand people getting restless with him. Until then, get real.

February 07, 2010, 06:26:58 PM
Reply #6

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I think we should give Yakubu time, give him a pre season and get him going again. If next season he isnt scoring then I can understand people getting restless with him. Until then, get real.

I think people would prefer a younger, fitter saha type striker.

February 07, 2010, 06:38:12 PM
Reply #7

Abraders

Yak played alright yesterday considering our whole midfield didn't have a clue why they were on the pitch.

Saha has scored a good amount of goals yeah but if you think back to those games, we weren't playing as well as a team as we are now, but we were attacking and takings more risks with runs etc. That's all we need to do, attack. We need to obtain a proper mentality, believe that we can break down the "sky 4" and destroy those relegation candidates.

February 07, 2010, 06:44:58 PM
Reply #8

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I think people would prefer a younger, fitter saha type striker.

I understand that man, but we already have Yakubu at the club for a start, and to fund a Young Saha type of move then we would have to sell the likes of Rodwell. Then the very same people would be up in arms about selling our prized asset to buy a striker. Realism is in need.

February 07, 2010, 06:55:09 PM
Reply #9

Derek

I think we have a strike force at the moment that can score enough goals for us, or should be able to. We have mid-fielders who can score and until recently we used to get a fair few defenders on the score sheet too.

Part of the problem is that we don't give them enough opportunities to score. When we're playing well we get it down the wings and we get a fair amount of of balls into the box, or we pass it through the middle and smack it in, but when we're playing badly we just fanny about in our own half and the balls come to nothing.

It's as much a whole team problem as just the strikers. Absolutely agree that we need a good quality RB, though. It would give our game a lot more balance and attacking threat from that side. If I recall it was that side that buckled under pressure during the F.A Cup Final and we've not done much to strengthen it since.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

February 07, 2010, 07:20:16 PM
Reply #10

fast lane

Peanuts, Mophead ?

How old are you?

I hate it when derogatory terms are used to descrbe our players.
It doesn't show much respect.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

February 07, 2010, 07:22:52 PM
Reply #11

Endless, Nameless

A clinical, fit striker. A winger. A top RB. A bigger squad to cover injuries. A true winning mentality.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

February 07, 2010, 07:36:22 PM
Reply #12

Ong-Timus Prime

A Rooney or Torres would do nicely.
if you know yer history...

February 07, 2010, 07:38:31 PM
Reply #13

Derek

Problem is someone would just come in and buy them!
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

February 07, 2010, 07:38:52 PM
Reply #14

nomorechang

RIP
It would have been a fantastic coup for us if we could have pulled off the Huntelaar loan , too much has been put on Louis lately and he doesn't seem to see games through , the Yak is going to need 'til next season before he gets back to his best but he still may pull a few irons out of the fire . Tim and Landon will always get a couple of goals but not on a regular basis .. we are really lacking an out and out goalscorer until The King gets back to his best ....

I don't think it will be long before Jags will resume , Disty was very dodgy yesterday , So that's one positive and Mikel is looking like it won't be too long before he's pulling all the strings again ... one thing that really pleased me yesterday was he never shirked out of a challenge , a great sign showing his confidence hasn't deserted him , ... We just need to forget that game yesterday , we all know we are better than that , and prepare to shaft Chelsea .. we owe them one !!!!
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "