October 22, 2019, 03:34:23 PM

Author Topic: What separates us from real success.  (Read 6879 times)

February 07, 2010, 07:54:15 PM
Reply #15

Flusky

Its not really about ability. Its mentality. Our strikers are always drifting out towards the wing, but lack the ability to cross, leaving us with nothing in front of goal. How are we supposed to "Feed the Yak" if he insists on acting like a winger?

February 07, 2010, 08:09:29 PM
Reply #16

Murf666

We could do with a real quality striker, of course.  That could be Yakubu or Saha, but unfortunately it isn't at the moment.  Landon Donovan staying would also be a massive boost as we need that threat down the right.

Other than that, we need our best players back in a settled team for a good run of matches to get their form back.

If we can get an injury free squad next season with only Landon Donovan (or someone of similar quality) added and Yakubu, Arteta and Jagielka back to their best, then we'll be real candidates for a top four spot.
There's nobody better than Murf667, she's the best little Evertonian I know!
As for you, Murf 668, your Everton shirt can hardly wait.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

February 07, 2010, 08:39:25 PM
Reply #17

Abraders

I think we have a strike force at the moment that can score enough goals for us, or should be able to. We have mid-fielders who can score and until recently we used to get a fair few defenders on the score sheet too.

Part of the problem is that we don't give them enough opportunities to score. When we're playing well we get it down the wings and we get a fair amount of of balls into the box, or we pass it through the middle and smack it in, but when we're playing badly we just fanny about in our own half and the balls come to nothing.

It's as much a whole team problem as just the strikers. Absolutely agree that we need a good quality RB, though. It would give our game a lot more balance and attacking threat from that side. If I recall it was that side that buckled under pressure during the F.A Cup Final and we've not done much to strengthen it since.
Hello coleman.

February 07, 2010, 10:29:30 PM
Reply #18

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
A clinical, fit striker. A winger. A top RB. A bigger squad to cover injuries. A true winning mentality.

So around 100 million or so!

Seriously though.  Yakubu can be the first one as can Saha and Vaughan has the ability. Coleman is the potential so we are only one short no?  What we need is it to be next season and us to start from scratch hopefully with the decent, injury free pre-season we needed for this one!

February 07, 2010, 10:41:54 PM
Reply #19

Thomas

I think we have a strike force at the moment that can score enough goals for us, or should be able to. We have mid-fielders who can score and until recently we used to get a fair few defenders on the score sheet too.

Part of the problem is that we don't give them enough opportunities to score. When we're playing well we get it down the wings and we get a fair amount of of balls into the box, or we pass it through the middle and smack it in, but when we're playing badly we just fanny about in our own half and the balls come to nothing.

It's as much a whole team problem as just the strikers. Absolutely agree that we need a good quality RB, though. It would give our game a lot more balance and attacking threat from that side. If I recall it was that side that buckled under pressure during the F.A Cup Final and we've not done much to strengthen it since.
this.exactly this.

February 07, 2010, 10:57:02 PM
Reply #20

Endless, Nameless

Seriously though.  Yakubu can be the first one as can Saha and Vaughan has the ability. Coleman is the potential so we are only one short no?  What we need is it to be next season and us to start from scratch hopefully with the decent, injury free pre-season we needed for this one!

Yeah, probably. You can't be a top team with the money we have.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

February 08, 2010, 12:02:17 AM
Reply #21

phillyt

what separates us is a board/owner that can consistently supply the manager with a competitive transfer fund in the summer and in jan without having to sacrifice our best players.  and a board that can have the foresight and ingenuity to see that we dont need a much bigger stadium, and prob never will we need a stadium that is going to considerably boost our income. And that would involve having corperate facilities that amount to much more than a tent in the car park.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

February 08, 2010, 12:12:56 AM
Reply #22

charlatan

what separates us is a board/owner that can consistently supply the manager with a competitive transfer fund in the summer and in jan without having to sacrifice our best players.  and a board that can have the foresight and ingenuity to see that we dont need a much bigger stadium, and prob never will we need a stadium that is going to considerably boost our income. And that would involve having corperate facilities that amount to much more than a tent in the car park.

:clap:  :clap: :clap: :clap:

No surprise he hasn't been waxing lyrical over the boys pen after yesterday.  Funny how he's invisible when we're shit.

February 08, 2010, 12:15:15 AM
Reply #23

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

Yakubu, Saha and Vaughan all have obvious flaws though.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

February 08, 2010, 12:24:52 AM
Reply #24

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Yakubu, Saha and Vaughan all have obvious flaws though.

Yeah but Yakubu on form would walk in too even top four teams as would Saha.  They are top class strikers they are all injury prone though which is the main problem.  Out of the 3 we tend to have one fully fit if we are lucky at a time.

February 08, 2010, 12:26:13 AM
Reply #25

Endless, Nameless

Yeah but Yakubu on form would walk in too even top four teams as would Saha.  They are top class strikers they are all injury prone though which is the main problem.  Out of the 3 we tend to have one fully fit if we are lucky at a time.

What? Didn't we buy the Yak from Boro? I don't remember Chelsea or Man U coming in for him.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

February 08, 2010, 12:52:18 AM
Reply #26

NSM

I think Yakubu and saha are a massive improvement on what we've had in the past Beattie -AJ. If it wasn't for some critical goals saha has scored we would still be in the bottom half of the table. As for Yakubu he wont be back to his best for a while.
Someone commented on the Yakubu drifting to the wings, iv'e cottoned on to saha doing this too. Wasnt AJ doing this before his end at everton. I like moyes but whatever he is asking of these two currently isn't working.

February 08, 2010, 01:44:29 AM
Reply #27

.Rimbo.

A real quality striker, a quality right back and the attitude required to beat the bigger clubs away from home.

It's the attitude more than anything though mate.

February 08, 2010, 01:47:15 AM
Reply #28

Rhys

What? Didn't we buy the Yak from Boro? I don't remember Chelsea or Man U coming in for him.

Yakubu on top form is good enough to play in any team in the world and for me is a different class to Saha. Yak has everything, good link up play, varied movement, class finishing with either foot and will get plenty of chances. The reason Arsenal, Chelsea and United etc dont want him is because he is inconsistent and nothing to do with his ability. If he was consistently on top form we would not have had a sniff of getting him. We have to accept (when he is back to full fitness, next year) that he will be world class for 10 games then championship class for the next 10 games. He has always and will always be like that.

Saha is different. He has fantastic ability and is up there with the most natural goalscorers in the world, sadly that is all he offers. Ive said it all season when he isnt scoring he is pointless. He doesnt have much movement, he doesnt come and link the play, his hold up play is erratic at best and he is very selfish in his play. Basically, he doesnt make many runs that arent helping him to score. That is fine when you are playing for United and have top players around you and you know you will have 60% of the ball in the match but when you are playing for us and possession isnt a guarantee you have to do far more than he does. Far too often we have the ball and he is static 70 yards from the play, the midfield have no options other than to go back or the defence have no option but to look for Cahill's head.

He is a world class goalscorer but in our formation with our players the striker in the system has to be a figure head that comes and gets the ball, holds it up, links the play and allows us to build an attack around. The Yak when on form offers that whereas Saha stands around hoping to get a chance. And that is why I hope the Yak will be the main striker sooner rather the later and use Saha as an option when a goal is needed.

Of course we need a really top striker, how can we afford one? We have no money and we would have to find a miracle player on the cheap, not likely to happen. So we have to have people like Saha and Yak who can be world class but have their limits. The Yak is his consistency and Saha is his desire only to score and do little else.

February 08, 2010, 01:51:50 AM
Reply #29

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Yakubu on top form is good enough to play in any team in the world and for me is a different class to Saha. Yak has everything, good link up play, varied movement, class finishing with either foot and will get plenty of chances. The reason Arsenal, Chelsea and United etc dont want him is because he is inconsistent and nothing to do with his ability. If he was consistently on top form we would not have had a sniff of getting him. We have to accept (when he is back to full fitness, next year) that he will be world class for 10 games then championship class for the next 10 games. He has always and will always be like that.

Saha is different. He has fantastic ability and is up there with the most natural goalscorers in the world, sadly that is all he offers. Ive said it all season when he isnt scoring he is pointless. He doesnt have much movement, he doesnt come and link the play, his hold up play is erratic at best and he is very selfish in his play. Basically, he doesnt make many runs that arent helping him to score. That is fine when you are playing for United and have top players around you and you know you will have 60% of the ball in the match but when you are playing for us and possession isnt a guarantee you have to do far more than he does. Far too often we have the ball and he is static 70 yards from the play, the midfield have no options other than to go back or the defence have no option but to look for Cahill's head.

He is a world class goalscorer but in our formation with our players the striker in the system has to be a figure head that comes and gets the ball, holds it up, links the play and allows us to build an attack around. The Yak when on form offers that whereas Saha stands around hoping to get a chance. And that is why I hope the Yak will be the main striker sooner rather the later and use Saha as an option when a goal is needed.

Of course we need a really top striker, how can we afford one? We have no money and we would have to find a miracle player on the cheap, not likely to happen. So we have to have people like Saha and Yak who can be world class but have their limits. The Yak is his consistency and Saha is his desire only to score and do little else.

Rhys, saying things eloquently so barongreenback doesn't have too :hail: