August 24, 2019, 08:06:14 AM

Author Topic: What separates us from real success.  (Read 6766 times)

February 08, 2010, 02:19:10 AM
Reply #30

Endless, Nameless

Yakubu on top form is good enough to play in any team in the world and for me is a different class to Saha. Yak has everything, good link up play, varied movement, class finishing with either foot and will get plenty of chances. The reason Arsenal, Chelsea and United etc dont want him is because he is inconsistent and nothing to do with his ability. If he was consistently on top form we would not have had a sniff of getting him. We have to accept (when he is back to full fitness, next year) that he will be world class for 10 games then championship class for the next 10 games. He has always and will always be like that.

Saha is different. He has fantastic ability and is up there with the most natural goalscorers in the world, sadly that is all he offers. Ive said it all season when he isnt scoring he is pointless. He doesnt have much movement, he doesnt come and link the play, his hold up play is erratic at best and he is very selfish in his play. Basically, he doesnt make many runs that arent helping him to score. That is fine when you are playing for United and have top players around you and you know you will have 60% of the ball in the match but when you are playing for us and possession isnt a guarantee you have to do far more than he does. Far too often we have the ball and he is static 70 yards from the play, the midfield have no options other than to go back or the defence have no option but to look for Cahill's head.

He is a world class goalscorer but in our formation with our players the striker in the system has to be a figure head that comes and gets the ball, holds it up, links the play and allows us to build an attack around. The Yak when on form offers that whereas Saha stands around hoping to get a chance. And that is why I hope the Yak will be the main striker sooner rather the later and use Saha as an option when a goal is needed.

Of course we need a really top striker, how can we afford one? We have no money and we would have to find a miracle player on the cheap, not likely to happen. So we have to have people like Saha and Yak who can be world class but have their limits. The Yak is his consistency and Saha is his desire only to score and do little else.

To be fair mate, you've made your point well. I don't think I've ever seen Yakubu have a "world class" game, but other than that I have to agree with you.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

February 08, 2010, 02:44:51 AM
Reply #31

nomorechang

RIP
Yakubu on top form is good enough to play in any team in the world and for me is a different class to Saha. Yak has everything, good link up play, varied movement, class finishing with either foot and will get plenty of chances. The reason Arsenal, Chelsea and United etc dont want him is because he is inconsistent and nothing to do with his ability. If he was consistently on top form we would not have had a sniff of getting him. We have to accept (when he is back to full fitness, next year) that he will be world class for 10 games then championship class for the next 10 games. He has always and will always be like that.

Saha is different. He has fantastic ability and is up there with the most natural goalscorers in the world, sadly that is all he offers. Ive said it all season when he isnt scoring he is pointless. He doesnt have much movement, he doesnt come and link the play, his hold up play is erratic at best and he is very selfish in his play. Basically, he doesnt make many runs that arent helping him to score. That is fine when you are playing for United and have top players around you and you know you will have 60% of the ball in the match but when you are playing for us and possession isnt a guarantee you have to do far more than he does. Far too often we have the ball and he is static 70 yards from the play, the midfield have no options other than to go back or the defence have no option but to look for Cahill's head.

He is a world class goalscorer but in our formation with our players the striker in the system has to be a figure head that comes and gets the ball, holds it up, links the play and allows us to build an attack around. The Yak when on form offers that whereas Saha stands around hoping to get a chance. And that is why I hope the Yak will be the main striker sooner rather the later and use Saha as an option when a goal is needed.

Of course we need a really top striker, how can we afford one? We have no money and we would have to find a miracle player on the cheap, not likely to happen. So we have to have people like Saha and Yak who can be world class but have their limits. The Yak is his consistency and Saha is his desire only to score and do little else.

playing the two of them when they are both on form in the same team as a fit Pienaar , Arteta , Fellaini , Donovan , Heitinga , Baines and Jags with Howard in goal and Phil Nev as Captain would give any team in the Premier leagueone of the hardest games they are ever likely to have to face at any time in the season ... the problem of course is getting them all together , on form and fit at the same time for a decent run of games  ... I can't remember the last time we had the luxury of playing with that privilege .... We can but hope ...
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

February 08, 2010, 02:52:25 AM
Reply #32

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What Rhys said.

Plus above all we need one or two more players who will score a goal out of nothing.

When was the last time we sccored a screamer against one of the sky 4?

Our players don't take enough responsibility for me.

February 08, 2010, 02:56:36 AM
Reply #33

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
What Rhys said.

Plus above all we need one or two more players who will score a goal out of nothing.

Yeah. Pienaars chip against the arse was pretty special though. More of that confidence and vision is essential

February 08, 2010, 02:59:42 AM
Reply #34

Rhys

What Rhys said.

Fernandes against United!

One of the reasons it was big chance missed when we didnt get him, he had the ability to do anything against anyone which is something we dont have. The likes of Pienaar and Arteta cant take that level up against the top teams like he could.

February 08, 2010, 03:11:45 AM
Reply #35

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Exactly.

There's a reason why he would have cost £12m after a 6m loan and Pienaar and Arteta only cost £2.5m.

They're very good players but clearly they must have deficiencies as their previous clubs can't have been that blind.

Fellaini has the chance to be a top top player as he has the all round game, and by that I mean physically and technically, to make a difference against the top sides. But he cost £15m and will increase in value.

Pienaar and Arteta would probably fetch £15m but they are at their peaks.

To really make the next step we need to be able to buy more players who can really take the top opposition on both physically and technically.

February 08, 2010, 05:13:46 AM
Reply #36

ToffeeBlue83

Agreed, all too often on the biggest stage we have come short. How many times at Anfield (last year excepted) have we frozen and failed to create a chance , letting Liverpool win almost by default?
Royal Blue Mersey - the web's newest Everton blog

February 08, 2010, 05:57:03 AM
Reply #37

ToxtethBlue

People talk about Saha not doing this and I agree with alot of it but what about Cahill? He's playing behind the striker, a massive part of his game should be linking up with midfield yet he rarely does it. You'll occasionally see him lay the ball off and run towards the box, looking to get on the end of things. He's never interested in any type of link up play. I saw a chart in the Guardian about where the players spent most of there time against Sunderland, and Cahill spent the majority of the game further forward than Saha.

He's playing a very limited role and he isn't anywhere near as much of a goal threat as the likes of Saha or Yakubu. We play him there so he'll drop in and make it a five every now and again and hope, going forward, that'll he'll nick the odd goal.

We should be looking to play a far better football behind the main striker, someone with the ability to link things up aswell as get the odd goal here and there.
ToxtethBlue

February 08, 2010, 06:03:21 AM
Reply #38

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I think Cahill links up better with the Yak. They seem to have a good understanding and of course Pienaar comes into the equation a lot more too.

I think Yak is a better striker than Saha too.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 08, 2010, 06:11:09 AM
Reply #39

ToxtethBlue

Exactly.

There's a reason why he would have cost £12m after a 6m loan and Pienaar and Arteta only cost £2.5m.

They're very good players but clearly they must have deficiencies as their previous clubs can't have been that blind.

Fellaini has the chance to be a top top player as he has the all round game, and by that I mean physically and technically, to make a difference against the top sides. But he cost £15m and will increase in value.

Pienaar and Arteta would probably fetch £15m but they are at their peaks.

To really make the next step we need to be able to buy more players who can really take the top opposition on both physically and technically.

To be fair, Fernandes only cost 12 million because he was part owned. Fellaini cost 15 million on the last day of a transfer window in a hugely inflated market. Lets not forget, Arteta cost 6 million in 2002, which wasn't cheap then. And he fell out with his manager at Sociedad, whereas Pienaar had personal problems according to himself, which affected his performances.

I wouldn't say it's anything to do with deficiencies, not every player settles down straight away and shows there undoubted talent. Fernandes is an excellent talent yet he's still yet to settle anywhere and will probably be on the move again in the summer. Once again, he was available for loan in January.

ToxtethBlue

February 08, 2010, 07:00:38 AM
Reply #40

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
We didn't pay £6m for Arteta..
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

February 08, 2010, 07:07:33 AM
Reply #41

ToxtethBlue

I know we didn't, Rangers did.
ToxtethBlue

February 08, 2010, 05:20:07 PM
Reply #42

BlueSte

But I think we show much more spirit against them at home than we do away.

Just compare this seasons trip to Old Trafford and last season's home match against United.

What about this seasons home match against arsenal compared with our away performance.
The Black Watch