August 24, 2019, 04:27:37 PM

Author Topic: Seamus Coleman  (Read 6218 times)

February 07, 2010, 11:09:11 PM
Reply #15

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I honestly don't really get the anti argument.

I'm not reading anything other than its a risk so lets not try that.

Do you think the RB position is operating well?
Do you think its been operating as well as our LB in recent times?
If Neville or Hibbert were providing the defensive and attacking balance that we've seen from Baines at his best or Lescott in his day do you think this would even merit a conversation?
Do you think our RB could be improved?
Are you happy to watch long ball after long ball?
Did you not think Coleman provided something different this season in his limited appearances? Pace on the right? Ability to beat a man?

If so why for goodness sake wouldn't we try and see if we can do better with a player we already have. We're not talking about signing someone. So what if he makes a mistake? Do Hibbert and Neville not? Did they not when they were younger too? Neville made some howlers as has Hibbert. IF anything this is the best season to be trying this as frankly we have very little to chase it seems at the moment. And I'd argue we'd dropped plenty of points of late due to our inability to break teams down, something not helped by the lack of options provided on the right.

Seriously one game, why not?? Yes its a risk...so what?? I'd rather risk 3 pts in the hope of finding a better option that gains us more in the long term. Unless Neville or Hibbert has suddenly become the equivalent of Sergio Ramos while I haven't been looking.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:11:10 PM by blueToffee »

February 08, 2010, 12:54:39 AM
Reply #16

Flusky

Do you think the RB position is operating well?

I would say it is operating adequately, but not well. Neville was exposed a lot during the derby and he lacks a lot of pace going forward. Hibbert is the same, except he's good at moving in to the centre to block.

Do you think its been operating as well as our LB in recent times?

Definitely not. Baines has been pretty good this season and he's worked well to adjust to several different partners on the left.

If Neville or Hibbert were providing the defensive and attacking balance that we've seen from Baines at his best or Lescott in his day do you think this would even merit a conversation?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Gun to head I'd say no.

Do you think our RB could be improved?

I'd like a RB like Baines, good going forward with enough pace to get back to defend quickly.

Are you happy to watch long ball after long ball?

Who is...? Our hoofball is one of our biggest weaknesses and I can't understand why Moyesey hasn't nipped it in the bud.

Did you not think Coleman provided something different this season in his limited appearances? Pace on the right? Ability to beat a man?

Besides his debut, he has been outstanding. His cameo against Spurs was inspiring and he strikes me as another Arteta. He constantly runs through players with ease and has that killer accuracy on crossing. They could work very well together.

Seriously one game, why not?? Yes its a risk...so what?? I'd rather risk 3 pts in the hope of finding a better option that gains us more in the long term. Unless Neville or Hibbert has suddenly become the equivalent of Sergio Ramos while I haven't been looking.

This.

Overall great post. I know most of your questions were rhetorical, but I felt the urge to address them all as you've really got it on the head.

February 08, 2010, 01:01:39 AM
Reply #17

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Coleman should be given a chance. This is the perfect season to do so as we have pretty much nothing left to play for.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 08, 2010, 01:29:33 AM
Reply #18

HungryHungryHibbo

Anyone else think Neville looks like he's going to fall over every time he passes sideways?
coyb

February 08, 2010, 02:06:34 AM
Reply #19

Rhys

I love it how people say he should play, having seen him do what defensively?? Get torn apart in Benfica?

Im not slagging him, or saying Benfica was his fault before anyone moans. But are you seriously going to risk someone who has had nothing to do defensively for us to see what he is like there in a derby? Or even against Chelsea? He could get torn apart, it could destroy his confidence before he gets started.

I think he looks a great talent and could be our right back for years to come but nobody knows if he is hopeless at defending or not. Moyes sees him every day and will know more about him than all of us put together. If he was ready to be the best right back in the league like everyone seems to think he is then he would play him. There would be no hesitation. Moyes has proven year after year if a player is ready and better than what we have then he will play them. All we have seen of Coleman is near the end of games attacking when we need a goal, and there is no question he is fantastic going forward and lightning fast.

Our success has been built on being good at the back, hard to score against and very hard to beat. For all we know Coleman could gift goals to teams, be erratic when being attacked and positionally naive. After all it is to be expected for someone of his experience, as in, Irish football.

When is ready, Moyes will play him. It could be next week, it could be 2 months or it could be some time next season. For now I definitely think we should use him as a sub if we need a goal though.

February 08, 2010, 02:10:11 AM
Reply #20

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
How do we know if he's ready or not if we don't try him?

Give the lad a go.

None of our other right backs have offered us anything, try something different. It might work.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 08, 2010, 02:16:59 AM
Reply #21

Rhys

Give the lad a go.

None of our other right backs have offered us anything, try something different. It might work.

We wont know if he doesnt try him, but thats the point we arent in charge.

Moyes will know because he sees him every day in training. He will know exactly where he is up to in his development and if he should play or not. As I said Moyes plays youngsters more than most and isnt afraid he is confident they are ready.

February 08, 2010, 02:17:51 AM
Reply #22

Gash

Global Moderator

Give the lad a go.

Moyes can't really win though can he? If Coleman got a game and had a shocker, all the Moyes haters would come back out saying he should never have played him.

We've seen one decent display from him against Spurs, and even at that it was only his attacking we saw. In our current position, Moyes will always play experience over potential, and games like Liverpool away and Chelsea midweek aren't the games to blood a youngster.

February 08, 2010, 02:20:45 AM
Reply #23

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I won't slat Moyes for trying something different. We are so predictable these days that something new would be welcomed.

We all know Hibbert and Neville are average, Coleman might be, he might not be, but the point is, I would welcome this change to see what could be. Perhaps he will allow us to attack more and therefore take the pressure off the defence? Perhaps not, but the point is, we won't know until he is tried.

And he isn't that young anymore. He's no kid at 21.

February 08, 2010, 02:21:55 AM
Reply #24

Endless, Nameless

I won't slat Moyes for trying something different. We are so predictable these days that something new would be welcomed.

We all know Hibbert and Neville are average, Coleman might be, he might not be, but the point is, I would welcome this change to see what could be. Perhaps he will allow us to attack more and therefore take the pressure off the defence? Perhaps not, but the point is, we won't know until he is tried.

Blarg, you speak the truth   :hail:
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

February 08, 2010, 02:23:23 AM
Reply #25

Gash

Global Moderator
Would you play him on Wednesday against Malouda (sp) Drogba, Anelka and running at Ashley Cole?

February 08, 2010, 02:27:09 AM
Reply #26

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Would you play him on Wednesday against Malouda (sp) Drogba, Anelka and running at Ashley Cole?

I would but only because I would have Neville in DM rather than RB.  I honestly think Cole etc will rip Neville a new one at RB.

February 08, 2010, 02:28:23 AM
Reply #27

Rhys

He is given that he has played about 5 games for us and only played for Sligo Rovers. Rodwell is far less of a kid because of his experience. If he played him on Wednesday and he cost us the game by giving away 2 goals it could destroy his confidence and push his development back. Not worth risking in my opinion.

February 08, 2010, 02:28:55 AM
Reply #28

Gash

Global Moderator
I would but only because I would have Neville in DM rather than RB.  I honestly think Cole etc will rip Neville a new one at RB.

I think they would do the same to Coleman, and probably dent his confidence in the process.

February 08, 2010, 02:33:00 AM
Reply #29

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think they would do the same to Coleman, and probably dent his confidence in the process.

Maybe, that is the issue but I don't see a solution for Wednesday.  Either way I see us having a nightmare down that side.  I think Hibbert would have been the best option tbh but he isn't available.  Regardless of the stick he gets he is our best defending right back IMO.