November 23, 2017, 08:38:02 PM

Author Topic: Good show from the youngsters  (Read 4739 times)

December 18, 2009, 04:14:41 AM
Read 4739 times

toffee_scot

Ok so we lost 1-0 but I think the young lads deserve credit for the way they played against the Belarussian champions who apparently fielded their strongest side possible.

I thought Coleman did very well and Duffy too. Baxter showed on occasions some good play and I thought initially Akpan did well when he came on although he struggled in the second half. I can understand why Moyes played Rodwell - a lot of the youngsters look up to him and I'm sure if he had stayed on for a while longer we would have had more control in midfield.

Bidwell did a decent job, only 16 years of age and he was kept very very busy, conceding a lot of throw ins and corners but it's a good learning experience.

The good thing is it has exposed the youngsters to the environment of first team football and it will also be a good window for scouts from the lower leagues to examine some of the players and decide whether they are worth a short term loan deal.

Well done to the youngsters, even though we lost the game, they never gave up and we had opportunities to score as well!  :thumbsup:

deCoubertin

December 18, 2009, 04:18:04 AM
Reply #1

fortune9

i think coleman, duffy, baxter and forshaw played well an if agard would have had saha or jo up front with him we would have seen more of him. the yak dosent run witch left agard chasing after lost course's, but i thought hope akpan gave the ball away to many times but they showed a good account of themselves.
Those that dont know do not matter!

December 18, 2009, 04:30:09 AM
Reply #2

toffee_scot

i think coleman, duffy, baxter and forshaw played well an if agard would have had saha or jo up front with him we would have seen more of him. the yak dosent run witch left agard chasing after lost course's, but i thought hope akpan gave the ball away to many times but they showed a good account of themselves.

I was quite optimistic that Yakubu would give a good performance and compliment Agard, however, I thought he was one of our poorer players, Agard got hardly any support at all!

December 18, 2009, 04:43:54 AM
Reply #3

huck

Yak is starting to worry me I have to admit

Everyone else though well done!
Le Berry

December 18, 2009, 04:50:54 AM
Reply #4

Sheedys left foot

Yak is starting to worry me I have to admit

Everyone else though well done!
Unfortuanatly, most of our play was well outside there 18 yard box, And Yakubu isnt that great in those areas, his shooting outside tho box is one of the worst ive seen, BUT, in that Penalty box theres not many better !
Outside box 4 / 10
Inside box   9 / 10.
Any one think same ?
CHUNK,I LOVE YOU CHUNK.

December 18, 2009, 04:59:47 AM
Reply #5

huck

Yeah I agree with you Sheedy just would have been nice if he'd have done a bit more running and closing down. I've been defending him. Back from injury and whatnot. But tonight he could have got a good bit of match fitness under his belt shaken off some cobwebs similar to what Ossie did instead he chose to do very little.
Le Berry

December 18, 2009, 05:19:35 AM
Reply #6

Gareth

Duffy, Coleman & Baxter to a lesser extent stand out for me.

Duffy looks like he can read a game, which at 17 is a great attribute, also he's a decent size already, and is willing to throw himself in front of things, doesn't look comfortable in possession at all though.

Coleman was great, yet in a different way from the Spurs game. Looked solid defensively and has pace to recover if he does get beaten. His pace excites me.

Baxter has ability that is for sure. Could be a bit of an Osman MK II though. All the talent and technique in the world, but zero pace & strength.

December 18, 2009, 08:30:22 AM
Reply #7

brap.

the standout performances for me where: coleman, forshaw (especialy) and probably bidwell.

December 18, 2009, 03:43:01 PM
Reply #8

Youngy09

I think everyone is being polite about Bidwell to be honest. I thought he was pretty poor and definitely not ready for the first team. Coleman played well again and should hopefully get some more first team action soon. Duffy played really well, but looked knackered towards the end and had the shot for the goal come earlier he would have cleared it. I thought Forshaw was very tidy, and Agard ran his socks off.

December 18, 2009, 04:14:13 PM
Reply #9

Murf666

I a
I think everyone is being polite about Bidwell to be honest. I thought he was pretty poor and definitely not ready for the first team. Coleman played well again and should hopefully get some more first team action soon. Duffy played really well, but looked knackered towards the end and had the shot for the goal come earlier he would have cleared it. I thought Forshaw was very tidy, and Agard ran his socks off.

I agree with what most of what you say.  However I think you're a bit harsh on Bidwell.  Of course he's not ready for the first team at 16.  I thought he acquited himself quite well last night.
There's nobody better than Murf667, she's the best little Evertonian I know!
As for you, Murf 668, your Everton shirt can hardly wait.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

December 18, 2009, 04:21:30 PM
Reply #10

JAGIARTEHEITHILL

I thought akpan was terrible, hopefully it was just nerves. Was impressed by duffy tho. Yakubu needs a kick up the arse, he's so frustrating!

December 18, 2009, 04:49:24 PM
Reply #11

Youngy09

I a
I agree with what most of what you say.  However I think you're a bit harsh on Bidwell.  Of course he's not ready for the first team at 16.  I thought he acquited himself quite well last night.

Agreed, but to me that was the point, people saying Coleman played well then in the same breath mentioning Bidwell. Not having a go at the lad, but unlike Duffy and Coleman he isn't close to being ready, although that's the only time I've seen him so I may be wrong. Nearly every time someone ran at him he either fouled them or they went past him. A good experience for him though, and like I said earlier this is not a dig at the lad, just think he looked out of his depth (at the moment!!!)

December 18, 2009, 04:54:09 PM
Reply #12

DaveyB

I thought Hibbert and Osman were fantastic in the way they marshalled the troops - they certainly lead by example.

December 18, 2009, 05:24:37 PM
Reply #13

Thom

Administrator
Bidwell looked ridiculously nervous at the start, but he started to come into the game more and put in a decent shift.

He reminded me of Lescott when he played left back, especially in the way he ran. Bidwell would seem like the type who would be unstoppable down the wing once he built up a head of steam; much like Lescott used to.

December 18, 2009, 06:09:11 PM
Reply #14

Gary Iceman

ill get slated for this.but just before we crossed to the new forum, people were sayin put the youngsters on. take certainly players off like ossie/fellaini,i said u jokin this is a premier league game they aint ready,and it proved last nyt i thought they were awful, only the likes of coleman and baxter,duffy will make it in my eyes.yh the team we played might be the champions of belarus, but that league aint got a patch on the premiership and the majority of that young team last nyt will not make it
Alan Harper: "I made my debut at Goodison against Stoke and was standing in the tunnel waiting to go onto the pitch. Z cars started playing on the PA and I heard the crowd roar. If I could bottle a moment and save it forever, then that would be it.