November 21, 2017, 11:43:22 PM

Author Topic: Goose  (Read 2000 times)

February 21, 2010, 07:53:57 AM
Read 2000 times

.Rimbo.

I know this has been debated on here before, but I think it was on a previous incarnation of the forum. How good do we think Dan Gosling can be?

When I seen him come on today, I'll admit, I despaired. Brought on for Bilya', who wasn't playing too badly, I didn't really understand it at first. I think maybe it was to deal with the threat of Obertan on that side, knowing Super Man could get back quicker than the Russian.

I have a feeling he could become a very useful player for us now though. He doesn't half have a knack of scoring goals! He's also very versatile and I remember himself comparing himself to Cahill in terms of style of play.

According to Wiki, he's scored 4 goals in 19 appearances for us. That's wrong though, I think it may be 5 in 20 (Sunderland, Liverpool, City, West Ham, United). I don't know how many of them are substitute appearances or at right back like he was in Athens and Benfica (I think, although I was working for the Benfica game so didn't see it). That's not a half bad record at all.

I doubt he'll be a first teamer, but he could be in and around the team for a good few years I think. All of his finishes have been good and composed as well really. His one against City was a stormer!

deCoubertin

February 21, 2010, 10:19:09 AM
Reply #1

blueblood1988

maybe a loan for a few months might do him real good, maybe preston, blackpool etc. Wouldnt do it now with fellaini and cahill out but maybe something to consider for the start of next season.

With a fully fit squad i'd send, Gosling, Baxter and one of vaughan and anichebe on loan for the next 2 seasons on and off whilst giving them the odd game here and there, we will soon see how they develop in footballing terms and also attitude wise. rodwell and coleman are too vital to not have in the squad imo wheras we have other options other than goose.

personally I think this is where these players will end up in the next 5 years and who they will be similair too ability wise:

Gosling 8/10 premier league player (milner/cahill)

Rodwell 9/10 premier league player (vieria in his arsenal days)

Coleman 8/10 premier league player (baines on red bull)

Vaughan 7/10 premier league player (m.bent? sorry.. maybe slightly better but will always be injured for me..)

Anichebe 8/10 championship/league 1 player (adebola, akinbeyi, wayne allison, lol all power and pace no end product)

Baxter 7/10 championship player (too early for this one, but looks a yard of it imo, hope im wrong tho)

February 21, 2010, 10:40:23 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I think his problem is that he does seem best popping up in the box (ala Cahill but less with his head) and not being played out wide. I don't think he's got the feet or the natural pace to be a really effective winger but definitely has some quality (including a good sense of timing) in and around the box but as we have a few players for that position at the moment he probably would do well to have a loan spell somewhere to keep developing.

February 21, 2010, 04:21:55 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He's scored against Hull in the League Cup as well.

He's a useful player at the moment. He's got good energy and he always looks to get into the box and score.

As has been said, he's not the best technically but he's got time to improve on this area. It looks like he's got a good attitude so I think there's every chance that he can become a good PL player.

February 21, 2010, 04:40:04 PM
Reply #4

phillyt

he seems to have beefed up a wee bit as well. Noticed that on the box last night.  looks stronger. Dont know if that was apparent at the match tho.   
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

February 21, 2010, 04:43:46 PM
Reply #5

Fellaini25

maybe a loan for a few months might do him real good, maybe preston, blackpool etc. Wouldnt do it now with fellaini and cahill out but maybe something to consider for the start of next season.

With a fully fit squad i'd send, Gosling, Baxter and one of vaughan and anichebe on loan for the next 2 seasons on and off whilst giving them the odd game here and there, we will soon see how they develop in footballing terms and also attitude wise. rodwell and coleman are too vital to not have in the squad imo wheras we have other options other than goose.

personally I think this is where these players will end up in the next 5 years and who they will be similair too ability wise:

Gosling 8/10 premier league player (milner/cahill)

Rodwell 9/10 premier league player (vieria in his arsenal days)

Coleman 8/10 premier league player (baines on red bull)

Vaughan 7/10 premier league player (m.bent? sorry.. maybe slightly better but will always be injured for me..)

Anichebe 8/10 championship/league 1 player (adebola, akinbeyi, wayne allison, lol all power and pace no end product)

Baxter 7/10 championship player (too early for this one, but looks a yard of it imo, hope im wrong tho)

Anichebe is no championship player, we have all seen what he can do.

I think Gosling will become a good player but us but I don't think it will be on the wing, I think naturally he is a central/attacking midfielder.

February 21, 2010, 04:49:08 PM
Reply #6

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I struggle to fit him into our eleven but has a squad player and a decent sub he could have a long term future.  It just depends whether he is happy to be a stop gap utility player or wants to play every week for a Stoke etc.

February 21, 2010, 04:50:09 PM
Reply #7

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I think he'll be a good squad player, sort of like an Osman on the wing.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

February 21, 2010, 04:56:49 PM
Reply #8

ally2

Still not sure but there doesn't seem to one thing that he's brilliant at - a bit of an all rounder.  Still, his movement yesterday was great for the goal - he didn't just end up where he did by accident and it was a nice finish.  Funny voice though!  And his hair is also strange!!  Like a comb-over but with a normal hairline.

February 21, 2010, 04:57:32 PM
Reply #9

Haile GAZrselassie

he seems to have beefed up a wee bit as well. Noticed that on the box last night.  looks stronger. Dont know if that was apparent at the match tho.   

yep noticed that myself other week when he came on against the reds.

that was the one cause for concern for me, that he just wouldn't have the muscle for this league. he's got the ability for sure.

i really like him. cracking little player. no way would i let him go out on loan. excellent option imo.
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

February 21, 2010, 05:12:29 PM
Reply #10

Thom

Administrator
He's a bit like Lampard for me. He won't be as good as Lampard in my opinion, but his running style, ability to score goals and off the ball movement are all superb. The latter two things especially as you can't teach natural things over such a short period of time that his career has been so far.

He can definitely be a good squad player to have, and I'd definitely see him being a centre midfielder for us. He could also do a job on the wing as well... much like Osman (even though neither should be on the wing really!).

February 21, 2010, 05:41:23 PM
Reply #11

Fern

I remember him saying that when at Plymouth and early spell with us that e knows everytime he's in the box he knows he'll score. He has a very good eye for goal for a midfielder.

I think he needs to work on his ball control abut I thnk it'll get better when he's 100% fit to play in PL, takes time.

February 21, 2010, 05:45:05 PM
Reply #12

evertonjoe

They showed all his goals for the club earlier on Goals on sunday there have been 6 so far (Sunderland, Liverpool, Man City, West Ham, Hull, Man Utd) and what really came across is the fantastic shot he has on him. the goals against City, Hull and West Ham were really lashed into the net and if nothing else Gosling strikes me as player who will always be good for a goal. He'll certainly be of great use in the run in when The Don has returned to LA and i'd expect him to add a few more goals this season.

R.A.P Music

February 21, 2010, 05:53:33 PM
Reply #13

Danny

I think when he's older we'll use him like Fergie uses Darren Fletcher, basically bringing him on when you need someone to work hard or starting him against teams like Arsenal to foil their passing.