November 20, 2017, 03:38:39 PM

Author Topic: 1984 and all that .....  (Read 930 times)

February 22, 2010, 03:18:34 PM
Read 930 times

nomorechang

RIP
Forgive me for maybe being a bit optimistic but for those of us who have very vivid memories of the Everton team from 1983/4 season could maybe latch on to my train of thought .Back at the start of that season we were not playing very well , losing lots of League games we maybe should have won and the events of the following season where just not imagined , Yet we had players such as Reid , Southall , Ratcliffe , Gray , Mountfield , Stevens , Sharp , Heath , and Sheedy , but these legends were just promising players mainly and were yet to gel until later in the season , The 'Kendall Out ' campaign was in full flow , (although Howard now reckons that it was his ex wife who started that  lolol ) , And then along comes that FA Cup tie against Oxford and Kevin Brock's famous backpass that transformed our season . From that point on , we were virtually unbeatable , ended the season with the FA Cup win v Watford and then the next season we took all comers , I went to games thinking ' how many are we going to win by ? '  , not even contemplating defeat . My point is ....Could this year be our 1984 ? Could we finish this season by winning most of our remaining games and maybe a Europa Cup and take that form into next season ? If you'd asked any of us that question 3 months ago the guys in white coats would come knocking ... Now ? ...Well you'll have to make your own minds up on that one ...  As far as Everton are concerned I've always been the eternal optimist ... so Why not ?  :thumbsup:
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

deCoubertin

February 22, 2010, 03:36:18 PM
Reply #1

dangermouse

Id like to hope so.... for many Evertonians all we have ever had is the bitter disappointment perked up with a few sweet moments.... I hate listening to my dad and his mates telling me stories of what these years were like and hope I get to experience some of them for myself...

I love the club and love the clubs history but can you imagine the hysteria at the club if things were to change for the better...

I still think as a club were a long way off off achieving anything like winning the premiership but I don't see why a few cup wins should be out of reach.....

Everton as a club just need to be recognised for what they achieve.. and without a big investor that is the only way we will attract better players.....

I hope those glory days return sooner rather than later
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes

February 22, 2010, 04:17:36 PM
Reply #2

bloody scally

I love you for that post. Such a wonderful positive outlook on NSNO should be rewarded with a user of the month reward. Haha.

February 22, 2010, 04:39:36 PM
Reply #3

Murf666

I'm daring to dream at the moment!  Just wait until the summer transfer window comes and we're all depressed again.
There's nobody better than Murf667, she's the best little Evertonian I know!
As for you, Murf 668, your Everton shirt can hardly wait.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

February 22, 2010, 04:42:25 PM
Reply #4

dangermouse

I'm daring to dream at the moment!  Just wait until the summer transfer window comes and we're all depressed again.

You had to go and spoil it didnt you  :eh:
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes