November 25, 2017, 02:46:26 AM

Author Topic: Summer  (Read 6790 times)

April 02, 2012, 05:16:34 AM
Read 6790 times

18efc78

Might be a bit premature (wahey!) but would be good to get a feel for what everyone's thoughts are on summer signings. Personally, I think Drenthe and Pienaar are absolute musts and the Strac would be nice too although he'd be the first I'd give a miss if finances really are as tight as we know they are.

Beyond that, I'd imagine we need to start looking at right backs seeing as Neville and Hibbert aren't getting any younger and Coleman seems destined to be a right winger/impact sub.

Centrally I think we actually look quite strong if we can keep the Gibllaini/Fellison combination fit and firing on all cylinders.

Obviously Donovan coming in would be a dream scenario giving us him in addition to Pienaar and Drenthe to run the flanks and also put one of them in behind Jelly to mix it up with Tim.

Perhaps another striker to really put the pressure on Jelavic to perform or even to give us an option to play a proper 442 when we're feeling in the mood....

deCoubertin

April 02, 2012, 05:18:49 AM
Reply #1

Bogstomper

Pienaar is apparently a real goer, Drenthe not so much and I wouldn't mind. We've shown these past 3 games he's not the be all for our team, in fact we've done well without his defensive lapses. I'd like to keep Stracqula on as he's a good option and I can see a couple of outs, not for financial reasons but we just can't keep everyone happy. The likes of Victor and Mucha may seek pastures new for first team football.

April 02, 2012, 05:24:11 AM
Reply #2

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Pienaar is essential

Simply simply lovely

April 02, 2012, 05:38:08 AM
Reply #3

sharpattack

Pienaar is a necessity, Drenthe is meh, and Strac won't be missed. He can leave with McFadden
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

April 02, 2012, 05:39:05 AM
Reply #4

Rhys

First and foremost we have to sign Pienaar. Then another forward would be ideal as if Jelavic gets injured we are back to square one.

April 02, 2012, 05:43:33 AM
Reply #5

Cozzie

Pienaar and Drenthe simply have to be signed, especially drenthe, players like him very rarely ever come around on a FREE, this is a no brainer.

Mucha will probably go, hopefully for a bit of cash, also yobo will be permanently sold to fenerbache, again hopefully for a good few million.

I think we need a right back for sure, not only are hibbert and neville old, but lets face it, they are both absolutely fucking shite to boot, so a new right back is definitely a priority.

I also think we need to look to a young future centre back pairing. Distin is 34, Jags is also the wrong side of 30 now. Duffy is a great option, I think he will develop into a fine CB, but I think a young proven centre back wouldnt go a miss. Also a striker to give Jelly some competition.

However, like most summers, we will sell one of our big stars sadly, thats just the way it is, Rodwell, or my biggest worry, Baines may be sold.

Lets hope for once we have a good summer.

April 02, 2012, 05:46:06 AM
Reply #6

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Drenthe and Pienaar are musts for me.

Straq can go, not bothered about him. Others out woud include Cahill, Anichebe, McFadden and Rodwell if we can get a good price for him.

We need a decent back up striker, and some more competition on the wings.

Think we can use Hibbert and Coleman as right back options. If Coleman has no future at right back, sell him too.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

April 02, 2012, 05:48:25 AM
Reply #7

Rhys

Pienaar and Drenthe simply have to be signed, especially drenthe, players like him very rarely ever come around on a FREE, this is a no brainer.

I get the sentiment and on the face of it I agree. However he is on big money at Madrid and by all accounts he will want at least 60k a week. Is he worth 3m a season? For someone that given our lack of wide options that hasnt made the position his own I think it is a lot of money. The players clearly get frustrated with him, the manager does and the fans do. You only had to see Baines in one of the recent games where he was shouting at him for ages after he needlessly switched off. And when he plays with Baines, it is the worst Baines plays. Baines doesnt look like he trusts him to keep the ball so hardly ever gets forward and doesnt overlap nearly as often as he does when anyone else plays out there.

I would like him to stay because he has a lot of talent and if he developed some sense of team play and organisation he would be a star. But with our finances so bad and the little money that will be there, if any, I would rather put the wages and signing on fee Drenthe will demand towards getting Pienaar back.

April 02, 2012, 05:49:59 AM
Reply #8

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Yet he is still our most creative player Rhys. His assists and goals have helped us a lot. He hasn't cost us a great deal in goals against, can only think of two occassions.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

April 02, 2012, 05:55:05 AM
Reply #9

18efc78

Hear what you're saying about him playing with Baines but surely that can be cured by simply playing Pienaar in front of him? For me, every time Drenthe gets on the ball you feel as if something is going to happen - how many of our players can you truly say that about?

Also another thought for a new signing is in goal, if not to immediately replace Tim, to do so in the next season or two.....

April 02, 2012, 06:03:46 AM
Reply #10

Cozzie

I get the sentiment and on the face of it I agree. However he is on big money at Madrid and by all accounts he will want at least 60k a week. Is he worth 3m a season? For someone that given our lack of wide options that hasnt made the position his own I think it is a lot of money. The players clearly get frustrated with him, the manager does and the fans do. You only had to see Baines in one of the recent games where he was shouting at him for ages after he needlessly switched off. And when he plays with Baines, it is the worst Baines plays. Baines doesnt look like he trusts him to keep the ball so hardly ever gets forward and doesnt overlap nearly as often as he does when anyone else plays out there.

I would like him to stay because he has a lot of talent and if he developed some sense of team play and organisation he would be a star. But with our finances so bad and the little money that will be there, if any, I would rather put the wages and signing on fee Drenthe will demand towards getting Pienaar back.

I know what you are saying, but I think that type of thing can be worked on. At the moment, he doesnt seem like an "everton/david moyes" style of player, but I think moyes has handled him brilliantly this season, taking him off at the right times and not always starting him either, just to let him know its not all about him.

If he does have a serious attitude problem like reported, he wont sign, this is perhaps the number one thing that moyes doesnt stand for at all, remember blomqvist?

Personally, I cant remember the last player at everton that, when he gets the balls, you ALWAYS think something is gonna happen, he is one of those exciting players to have at a club.

Id prefer to see him in a more central role next season, if we bring donovan back and have him and peinaar on the wings, i'd prefer to see Drenthe in a more central creative role.

On a free transfer, I personally think he would be worth the wages, after 1 season in the prem aswell, I think with that under his belt he will be even better for us next season.

April 02, 2012, 06:06:54 AM
Reply #11

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
A player of Drenthe's quality on a free can't be ignored.  A lot depends on his relationship with the other players, and the management.  Can't judge what has been going on behind the scenes with Royston.

If his signing would affect the signing of Peanuts, I'd turn it down, if it doesn't I'd snap him up, he has abilities noone else at the club possesses.

If we could stamp out his incessant diving, we could even make him an even better player.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

April 02, 2012, 06:11:17 AM
Reply #12

dg101

Pienaar
Drenthe
Young CB for <1m
Striker

----

GK      Howard / Hahnemann / Davies
FB      Neville / Hibbert / Baines / Garbutt / Bidwell
CB      Heitinga / Distin / Jagielka / Duffy / Young CB
CM      Fellaini / Rodwell / Osman / Gibson / Wallace
WM      Pienaar / Drenthe / Coleman / Barkley / Gueye
FW      Jelavic / Striker / Cahill / Anichebe / Vellios
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:10:28 PM by dg101 »

April 02, 2012, 06:12:07 AM
Reply #13

123_efc

Why do we need a right back? Hibbert is class. We need a creative/goal scoring attacking midfielder and Pienaar and in a dream world Donovan too
I miss Denis Stracqualursi

April 02, 2012, 06:20:48 AM
Reply #14

blueski

Its a hard one because on the one hand you can see how if he comes good the investment made will more than pay off after a good season because a big club will come in for him and we will make all our investment back and much more.

The flip side of it is he is such a personal wildcard, you can also see him doing something either on the pitch or off to damage his value.
Nil Satis