July 10, 2020, 06:52:49 AM

Author Topic: Bill.....If you love the club...  (Read 10498 times)

April 30, 2012, 02:39:56 PM
Reply #30

Twainy

Wasn't so rare just a few years back when Bill was allegedly looking to sell the club. And our current financial and resource problems accumulated during the last decade when Bill was supposed to be overseeing the management of those things. That he can't find a buyer because he's mismanaged the club into an unbuyable state seems a strange argument.

I didn't say that at all mate although that is probably the case.

I said that buyers are very rare at the moment. We would need someone on a par with the owners of City, Chelsea or QPR. When you look at the number of takeovers that have happened, those 3 stand out as the super rich owners who can probably afford to spend as much as is needed at EFC. Since the PL began, those 3 are the richest (I presume, not being privy to their finances), so it just shows that the super rich are rare even in good times. The asking price is reported to be around 150 million - I'm not sure what the total share values are but 51% of them can't add up to the asking price. So whilst I think that the asking price is way too high, I don't think the right sort of buyer is available.

The sad fact is that we are not a viable investment in that there is unlikely to ever be a return on the money that needs to be spent. so we need a super rich buyer - see above.
The best that we can hope for is that somehow enough money can be raised for DM to buy some players, get us into the CL and then get to the very late stages, so bringing in some much needed revenue and hopefully build on that.
I could no more change my team than I could chop my balls off.

April 30, 2012, 02:54:37 PM
Reply #31

Ross

I said that buyers are very rare at the moment. We would need someone on a par with the owners of City, Chelsea or QPR. When you look at the number of takeovers that have happened, those 3 stand out as the super rich owners who can probably afford to spend as much as is needed at EFC. Since the PL began, those 3 are the richest (I presume, not being privy to their finances), so it just shows that the super rich are rare even in good times. The asking price is reported to be around 150 million - I'm not sure what the total share values are but 51% of them can't add up to the asking price. So whilst I think that the asking price is way too high, I don't think the right sort of buyer is available.

The sad fact is that we are not a viable investment in that there is unlikely to ever be a return on the money that needs to be spent. so we need a super rich buyer - see above.
The best that we can hope for is that somehow enough money can be raised for DM to buy some players, get us into the CL and then get to the very late stages, so bringing in some much needed revenue and hopefully build on that.

Tony Fernandes isn't  super super rich(wouldn't mind being a few hundred behind him though ;)), so you can scrub QPR off that list of  "money to burner owners". The owners before him where, but never put any real money into the club, and actually the supporters complained they were being ripped off by Mittal, Briatore and Ecclestone.

So it's only ever been two big hitters who have bought out premiership clubs  and invested their own wealth really.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 30, 2012, 02:58:44 PM
Reply #32

montanatoffeefan

Clubs are still being bought though. But they are priced reasonably and, most importantly, actually for sale. The Shite were a fiscal shambles when the Boston buyers grabbed them, and that was no act of charity or billionaire egotism. They will make a lot of money off the Shite, just not as directly as most fans can appreciate.

As for your last paragraph, yeah, true. It's pretty much all we've been able to hope for the better part of a decade (other than a buyer, but we all know about that "hope").

It's a hope that's fading toward delusion, though. Because the clubs that were ahead of us who were in fiscal crisis (ManU, Arse, the Shite) have steadied themselves. And we've been passed by a few clubs who were behind us (Citeh, Spurs, Newcastle--though we'll see how long that lasts and if they're not Aston Villa in a year or two). So it's not a particularly realistic business "plan." And if Moyes and our ability to spot and develop bargains goes, then God help us.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:02:05 PM by montanatoffeefan »
Everton forever.

April 30, 2012, 03:10:41 PM
Reply #33

Ross

Clubs are still being bought though. But they are priced reasonably and, most importantly, actually for sale. The Shite were a fiscal shambles when the Boston buyers grabbed them, and that was no act of charity or billionaire egotism. They will make a lot of money off the Shite, just not as directly as most fans can appreciate.

As for your last paragraph, yeah, true. It's pretty much all we've been able to hope for the better part of a decade (other than a buyer, but we all know about that "hope").

It's a hope that's fading toward delusion, though. Because the clubs that were ahead of us who were in fiscal crisis (ManU, Arse, the Shite) have steadied themselves. And we've been passed by a few clubs who were behind us (Citeh, Spurs, Newcastle--though we'll see how long that lasts and if they're not Aston Villa in a year or two). So it's not a particularly realistic business "plan." And if Moyes and our ability to spot and develop bargains goes, then God help us.

When have Utd and Arsenal been in a "fiscal crisis"?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 30, 2012, 03:22:03 PM
Reply #34

Leslie Chow

The crazy old deluded fucker doesn't want to sell- how do I know??

12 fucking years that's how!! He hasn't sold it in 12 years- that tells you all u need to know.

He's loving the prestige the stupid embarrassing git.

April 30, 2012, 03:23:02 PM
Reply #35

the roy vernon plan

Exactly when they are reasonably priced and are for sale. EFC is not for sale.

EFC actually don't need a Sheik, just someone like him at Sunderland or Lerner at Villa. Someone who will fund an agreed budget.  

As for Billy No Brains writing that EFC has progressed this season that might be the case but other than not using the Arteta transfer money to buy new players what exactly has Billy Liar brought to the club this saeson or any season?

Billy Liar is enjoying the ride while it lasts. Very much in the public eye and well-known. The odd trip to Wemberley, too. Meanwhile the club is for sale (lets suppose for a big number ) and if it sells great, if not, sit back and enjoy. DM will sort it. After all Billy Liar is not putting any of his money into it, is he?    

April 30, 2012, 03:51:13 PM
Reply #36

Barry1878

Progressed ! How?

A semi final humiliation by the RS is classed as progression !

Pass me the paracetamol  !  :bonk:

April 30, 2012, 04:01:10 PM
Reply #37

montanatoffeefan

When have Utd and Arsenal been in a "fiscal crisis"?

Arsenal were reportedly having to net eight figures each year in the transfer market to cover a dodgy real estate deal with Highbury, IIRC. Word was that if they failed to make the CL and lost out on the CL money, they would have been in serious trouble.

And was all the rage a couple years back that ManU was loaded with debt that some thought unsustainable. Might still be loaded with debt, but the Glazers are applying what they learned in the NFL, so they'll probably be fine.

Everton forever.

April 30, 2012, 04:08:24 PM
Reply #38

Twainy

The crazy old deluded fucker doesn't want to sell- how do I know??

12 fucking years that's how!! He hasn't sold it in 12 years- that tells you all u need to know.

He's loving the prestige the stupid embarrassing git.

That doesn't make much sense.
According to you he's loving the prestige of being in charge of a Premier League club who are skint, with an old ground that needs replacing, a manager who struggles to bring in players due to lack of finance, a team that can at best play well for half a season, 40+ million (?) of debt, shares that can't be going up in value, abuse from the likes of the BU and no obvious way out of the situation apart from taking a loss of millions.

I know what I'd be doing and it wouldn't be hanging on for dear life whilst supposedly lying to all and sundry about selling. Do you really think that the other shareholders would let him get away with that?

April 30, 2012, 04:41:22 PM
Reply #39

the roy vernon plan

It makes a lot of distorted sense to me.

Billy Liar is a chancer. He is a small potato in the West End but to hundreds of thousands he is an important man because of EFC. He is seen on TV and is considered by many in the media to be a true blue and a good bloke. He fools people like Billy No Brains every day.

He came up with the dosh to buy a majority shareholding and he is not relenquishing control until someone gives him an even greater load of dosh and probably keep him on in some role. What does he care if EFC are stuck with Hibbert at full back for ten years? What does he care if Ossie is on the right wing next season again?  He has bought his ticket and he is waiting for his number to be called.

April 30, 2012, 04:50:05 PM
Reply #40

Gash

Global Moderator

Billy Liar is a chancer. He is a small potato in the West End but to hundreds of thousands he is an important man because of EFC.

Bill Kenwright Ltd is the UK's largest independent theatre and film production company. I don't particularly care for the man but if you're going to criticise the him at least have half an idea what you're talking about.

April 30, 2012, 04:56:55 PM
Reply #41

indiantoffee1975

Injury to Jelavic and we're back to square one, Pienaar to be signed up plus another striker to play along side Jelavic or can adequately replace him, especially if we are to push for a top 6 position. A squad filler or loan signing at LB as well.

April 30, 2012, 05:08:47 PM
Reply #42

Ross

Any points that people try and make about Kenwright are made cringe worthy when posting names like 'Billy Liar' ' 'Kenwrong' or what ever. Embarrassing.

April 30, 2012, 05:31:10 PM
Reply #43

montanatoffeefan

Any points that people try and make about Kenwright are made cringe worthy when posting names like 'Billy Liar' ' 'Kenwrong' or what ever. Embarrassing.

And yet Bill and his supporters aren't above using this type of language about fans of the club. Does that make everything else they say, even the occasionally sensible bits, a moot point?

So many have sought refuge in this defense of BK. It's hypocritical and, more importantly, largely irrelevant to anything that really matters.

And it's a fucking discussion board, mate. Not some high court debate between wig-wearing 19th century barristers.
Everton forever.

April 30, 2012, 05:40:18 PM
Reply #44

Twainy

Billy Liar is a chancer. He is a small potato in the West End but to hundreds of thousands he is an important man because of EFC. He is seen on TV and is considered by many in the media to be a true blue and a good bloke. He fools people like Billy No Brains every day.

He came up with the dosh to buy a majority shareholding and he is not relenquishing control until someone gives him an even greater load of dosh and probably keep him on in some role. What does he care if EFC are stuck with Hibbert at full back for ten years? What does he care if Ossie is on the right wing next season again?  He has bought his ticket and he is waiting for his number to be called.

Apparently he borrowed that from Phillip Green. I'd be amazed if he didn't have to service that debt.
Also what does he care? Are you a Blue? Do you care? Yes and yes I presume. Well so is he and if he is anything like me and most Blues, he cares a whole lot more than you have any idea of otherwise you would not post such absolute drivel.
Your whole post smacks of "I'll win this argument at any cost"
If you're going to post about this, at least be sensible.